Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai cricitise paedophile hunters

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Discodog wrote: »
    The Garda want these idiots to stop. Won't be long before the hunters become the hunted.

Edit - already happened.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-45811339

Another off topic post. We left the U.K. years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,219 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Grooming laws were enacted in Ireland in 2017. Are you sure you don't want to just admit you haven't a clue what you are talking about?

Safe to say he wont lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The Garda want these idiots to stop. Won't be long before the hunters become the hunted.

Edit - already happened.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-45811339

In the Youtube clip posted a couple of pages back, the paedophile hunter said he finally packed in his activities after been run over by a car driven by one of his targets. He also admitted to being high on drugs every time he went out to carry out a sting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Killinator

Grooming laws were enacted in Ireland in 2017. Are you sure you don't want to just admit you haven't a clue what you are talking about?

Unfortunately the grooming laws refer to explotation and messaging a child. In these stings scenarios there is no child, it does not exist.
    The 'pedo' is messaging an adult which is not a crime here

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Can't say it would bother me too much if someone gave Creaven a bit of a kicking.

Would it bother you if someone got a kicking & it turned out to be the wrong person?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Can't say it would bother me too much if someone gave Creaven a bit of a kicking.

Not sure what it'd achieve; is it just cos he's notorious by virtue of being lit up be PE? Or that he **was** an RTE Producer?

Amount of knuckle draggers who latched onto that and began the "RTE Stars're also p*********s" line was/is embarrassing; his RTE colleagues were horrified; let down, ashamed of him and cut all ties.

He may've been in their homes; they had been hoodwinked, conned and yet the agenda driven conspiracy loons thought they'd line up to support him?

Same with TH; he betrayed his colleagues trust; he betrayed sports journalists in the nationals, he betrayed his family, he betrayed the coaching fraternity; it's difficult to get voluntary & trained up coaches to give time, committment & skills without fingers being pointed, questions being asked in light of his manipulation across a number of years; quite how or why in 2008 he was able get an underage players number on pretence of wanting to praise her or give her extra mentoring is unreal; we've had our share of sports coaches (Gibney, O'Rourke etc.) engaging in child sexual abuse for a flag to've been raised at that point.

For those who think giving TH or KC, AH or DW etc. a kicking or any of the rest of 'em'll achieve something, anything, it won't; the assailant could end up with a conviction and a jail sentence mind.

There's gotta be THOUSANDS of people in Ireland, some named, many not walking around or incarcerated with sexual offence convictions of an adult or child nature be it possession, distribution or offences such as sexual assault or rape.

But groups like CPA don't seem to accept this; they & their muppet followers also exhibit substantial racism if their sting isn't Irish; so the link between the Far Right & PH groups is clear enough; the comments sections under similar UK groups videos is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nowhere in the article does it say they were “pictured in a paper”. Making things up doesn’t further your argument.

Who are the 2 guys pictured in the article with the caption "Jordan (left) and partner Ben were falsely accused by a vigilante paedophile hunter group"

That's plenty to have people associated with something going on.

At no stage do i fancy my picture being anywhere in the media associated with a story about paedophiles unless I join the gards and am getting a commendation for catching a load of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

splinter65 wrote: »
    How do you know that there are no other paedophiles living in that street? Paedophiles who haven’t been discovered yet, may never be discovered?
    You say that those children “now safe”. How do you know?
    Well over 90% of sexually abused children are attacked by someone their parent invited into the house.

The children he abused are safe because the paedophile has left his house. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. The evil scum has gone. He's been allocated another free warm house in another area now. Hopefully the neughbours with young innocent children will be alerted. But sadly I don't think Ireland has sarahs law.

Would it bother you if someone got a kicking & it turned out to be the wrong person?

Craven wasnt the wrong person though

The children he abused are safe because the paedophile has left his house. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. The evil scum has gone. He's been allocated another free warm house in another area now. Hopefully the neughbours with young innocent children will be alerted. But sadly I don't think Ireland has sarahs law.

So Vigilantes "moved" an individual along to an unknown area; and you think this is safer to Random Kid how exactly?

If he's pushed underground he may reoffend; sexual offeders recidivism rate is extremely low because of One in Four, FPS, Better Lives and the fact majority're known to victims; being known to victims enabled them access easier than a random victim.

If the offender, and I'm taking your word on this as I don't know particular case, was living back in same community as offences occurred in, then it was brave & stupid of him; unfortunately it may also be a fault in our justice system that doesn't prevent an offender coming back to where they offended; a quite ridiculous situation.

Flip side of that is at least he was known around there and neighbours could've kept an eye on him; now nobody knows him so I'm not sure that's an improvement.

Depending on his sentencing or PRS guidelines he may well be required to sign on daily, weekly etc., attend Probation Services frequently; if he keeps getting moved on he can't do this so how can he be managed if you don't want him to reoffend?

We don't have resources to keep an eye on every sex offender in our communities; we've got THOUSANDS of them, possibly in tens of thousands; I've yet to hear of a PH making a change to legislation such as ankle bracelets being worn to tag an offender for balance of their post release, post remission sentence; have yet to hear of a PH trying enact legislation that a sex offender can't associate with children; we don't have this here; have yet to hear of a PH legislating for mandatory minimum sentences based on things like possession or distribution, categories of files/images/videos; have yet to hear of PHs doing anything about mandatory minimum sentencing for rapists, child sexual abusers instead of some getting suspended sentences; have yet to hear of PHs doing anything about a system that allows sexual offenders to get both remission and suspended sentences and concurrent sentences whether they plead guilty or it goes to a full trial.

PHs don't bring anything to the table; they go after the low hanging fruit; politics & legislation's beyond them; the Kieran Creaven one wasn't a high point or a strong point for them; he was low hanging fruit too; I'd never heard of him til then to be honest and I doubt I was only one; they've not actually prevented one child in Ireland being sexually abused and raped; not one.

• Advertisement

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    So Vigilantes "moved" an individual along to an unknown area; and you think this is safer to Random Kid how exactly?

If he's pushed underground he may reoffend; sexual offeders recidivism rate is extremely low because of One in Four, FPS, Better Lives and the fact majority're known to victims; being known to victims enabled them access easier than a random victim.

If the offender, and I'm taking your word on this as I don't know particular case, was living back in same community as offences occurred in, then it was brave & stupid of him; unfortunately it may also be a fault in our justice system that doesn't prevent an offender coming back to where they offended; a quite ridiculous situation.

Flip side of that is at least he was known around there and neighbours could've kept an eye on him; now nobody knows him so I'm not sure that's an improvement.

Depending on his sentencing or PRS guidelines he may well be required to sign on daily, weekly etc., attend Probation Services frequently; if he keeps getting moved on he can't do this so how can he be managed if you don't want him to reoffend?

We don't have resources to keep an eye on every sex offender in our communities; we've got THOUSANDS of them, possibly in tens of thousands; I've yet to hear of a PH making a change to legislation such as ankle bracelets being worn to tag an offender for balance of their post release, post remission sentence; have yet to hear of a PH trying enact legislation that a sex offender can't associate with children; we don't have this here; have yet to hear of a PH legislating for mandatory minimum sentences based on things like possession or distribution, categories of files/images/videos; have yet to hear of PHs doing anything about mandatory minimum sentencing for rapists, child sexual abusers instead of some getting suspended sentences; have yet to hear of PHs doing anything about a system that allows sexual offenders to get both remission and suspended sentences and concurrent sentences whether they plead guilty or it goes to a full trial.

PHs don't bring anything to the table; they go after the low hanging fruit; politics & legislation's beyond them; the Kieran Creaven one wasn't a high point or a strong point for them; he was low hanging fruit too; I'd never heard of him til then to be honest and I doubt I was only one; they've not actually prevented one child in Ireland being sexually abused and raped; not one.

Maybe look up the live stings about ciaron from rte and also the scum from west Dublin housing estate. There are also hundreds of others in Ireland. Northern Ireland and England. Scotland and Wales. They are all absolutely horrific. I admire the paedoohile hunters and decoys who deal with these evil sick bastards. I admire them for not punching them in the face. The chat logs they send to the children are sick and depraved. I realise there is only one other poster on this site that agrees with me about support for louise and cpa and Phil hoban and predator exposure. But I admire these groups protecting our innocent children daily. They are legends and deserve everyone's respect ..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,045 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'm sure the parents in the area of the new free warm house are eternally greatful.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Maybe look up the live stings about ciaron from rte and also the scum from west Dublin housing estate. There are also hundreds of others in Ireland. Northern Ireland and England. Scotland and Wales. They are all absolutely horrific. I admire the paedoohile hunters and decoys who deal with these evil sick bastards. I admire them for not punching them in the face. The chat logs they send to the children are sick and depraved. I realise there is only one other poster on this site that agrees with me about support for louise and cpa and Phil hoban and predator exposure. But I admire these groups protecting our innocent children daily. They are legends and deserve everyone's respect ..

The scum from West Dublin housing estate?

You mean the guy who was set upon by a bigger gang of vigilantes than the ones who were stinging him?

The initial group of vigilantes're fond of saying he's being filmed for their protection and his & they have security; they didn't that day, they don't & the PSA wouldn't licence such thugs.

They can't offer the person they sting any protection whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭pah

Killinator wrote: »
    Unfortunately the grooming laws refer to explotation and messaging a child. In these stings scenarios there is no child, it does not exist.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2017/act/2/section/8/enacted/en/html#sec8

There is no justice derived from these stings as there is no offence taking place. Perhaps if the law was altered to be similar to the UK the hunters would be more likely to pass the Intel on to Gardaí.

pah wrote: »
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2017/act/2/section/8/enacted/en/html#sec8

There is no justice derived from these stings as there is no offence taking place. Perhaps if the law was altered to be similar to the UK the hunters would be more likely to pass the Intel on to Gardaí.

Ireland would be nuts to introduce such legislation. It would encourage every skanger and scumbag in the country to turn to vigilantism.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Ireland would be nuts to introduce such legislation. It would encourage every skanger and scumbag in the country to turn to vigilantism.

Better to just let the paedos have access to kids, eh? :rolleyes:

We don't need the skangers and thugs.....we have an official police force to uphold the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,175 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

yeah because that is the only alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Slowyourrole

Killinator wrote: »

I'm open to correction but I do not believe that has been tested in court yet and the language in a number of sections leaves the possibility open, especially those that mentions attempts as being a crime also.

I'm open to correction but I do not believe that has been tested in court yet and the language in a number of sections leaves the possibility open, especially those that mentions attempts as being a crime also.

One would imagine that the authorities here would try and steer well clear. The moment there is a successful prosecution, it would be a green flag to every wannabe vigilante in the country to get cracking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Jamie X

The thing I wonder is, why do these men believe that a real teenaged girl wants to meet them for sex ? The other thing is, it's so easy nowadays because of social media to figure out if a teenager is a real person or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,650 ✭✭✭✭walshb

jimgoose wrote: »
    While child abuse is an emotive issue, it is not a good idea to have a bunch of unregulated, untrained, unskilled civilians performing ad-hoc police work like this.

Absolutely. This is tantamount to anarchy/vigilantism, and any democratic society cannot allow this. Society breaks down with this type of feeling and attitude.

yeah because that is the only alternative.

What alternative is currently in place??

Even if these groups only spoke to paedo scum online, that would mean that an actual child was safe and the paedo scum's time was being wasted.

One would imagine that the authorities here would try and steer well clear. The moment there is a successful prosecution, it would be a green flag to every wannabe vigilante in the country to get cracking.

I don't think fear of vigilantes would even be a consideration when deciding on a prosecution.

I don't think fear of vigilantes would even be a consideration when deciding on a prosecution.

Vigilantes mount a sting : a court case follows and a person is successfully prosecuted on the back of that sting. It would be the green light for every thug / skanger in the country to start organising vigilante stings (causing a huge amount of potential hassle for the authorities). I'd say the Gardai and DPP are well aware of the negative implications of going down this route.

Vigilantes mount a sting : a court case follows and a person is successfully prosecuted on the back of that sting. It would be the green light for every thug / skanger in the country to start organising vigilante stings (causing a huge amount of potential hassle for the authorities). I'd say the Gardai and DPP are well aware of the negative implications of going down this route.

I'm sure they are. I doubt they'd choose letting a paedophile off as the lesser evil though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

What alternative is currently in place??

Even if these groups only spoke to paedo scum online, that would mean that an actual child was safe and the paedo scum's time was being wasted.

Maybe the conversation & offer to meet, from the "Hunters", might encourage a Paedophile to try with other children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Jamie X wrote: »
    The thing I wonder is, why do these men believe that a real teenaged girl wants to meet them for sex ? The other thing is, it's so easy nowadays because of social media to figure out if a teenager is a real person or not.
    Many of the men seem to have intellectual deficiencies. I saw one such video of a fella from Co. Monaghan who is well known as a half-wit and fantasist.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,219 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Many of the men seem to have intellectual deficiencies. I saw one such video of a fella from Co. Monaghan who is well known as a half-wit and fantasist.

They want to be Batman its their childhood dream.

• Advertisement

There have been several reports of young men who are autistic being targeted by these groups and then barely even understanding what they are being accused of when the yobs turn up and start shouting at them.

These would be isolated guys with no social skills who have probably never had a relationship in their life, almost childlike.

Advertisement