Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Just reading the latest update on RTE news. Harris talking about PPE being made available to nursing homes and just set up a liaison officer.

Is this a joke?
    Surely to God they have been targeting nursing homes for a long time now and it's not only now they are waking up to the time bomb in those places.

I'm absolutely fuming at this bunch for seriously letting down some of the most at risk people in our country. We all knew from China that this was lethal to older people but they only set up a liaison officer now.

But no, it's more important to give Garda more powers even though the majority of the population are observing the restrictions.

Oh and by the way, where's this Leo fella disappeared off to. Haven't heard a movie quote in nearly a week from him. Must be gearing up for a big one tomorrow or Thursday - "young people of Ireland, life is like a box of chocolates".

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Are the HSE still testing if you have two or more symptoms?

Are they actually happy that there's asymptomatic people out there spreading it?

I don't understand.

They have limited testing capacity. It's called prioritisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

JRant wrote: »
    Just reading the latest update on RTE news. Harris talking about PPE being made available to nursing homes and just set up a liaison officer.

Is this a joke?
    Surely to God they have been targeting nursing homes for a long time now and it's not only now they are waking up to the time bomb in those places.

I'm absolutely fuming at this bunch for seriously letting down some of the most at risk people in our country. We all knew from China that this was lethal to older people but they only set up a liaison officer now.

But no, it's more important to give Garda more powers even though the majority of the population are observing the restrictions.

Oh and by the way, where's this Leo fella disappeared off to. Haven't heard a movie quote in nearly a week from him. Must be gearing up for a big one tomorrow or Thursday - "young people of Ireland, life is like a box of chocolates".

Aren't a lot of nursing homes here run for profit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

The Great Incredible Tremendous Fantastic Amazing Best ‘Smart Guy’who is doing a great job like you never seen before or thought possible, has taken the stage… and will demonstrate to us yet again that he is a bat**** crazy bigoted racist jingoist sociopathic asshole and a deeply stupid person.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

Arrested?

Don't be so hysterical.

How is that hysterical? The guards have powers of arrest. The penalties for a conviction are a €2,500 fine and up to six months in prison.

That's literally what we're discussing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    100%

Loads in the 55-65 age group are as bad as the under 20s. Loads in both groups think this is all a fuss over nothing

Exactly, my Missus has had to nearly beat it into her mother that she and her sisters are all in the at risk category because of their age, they've been acting like spoiled children for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

If we have no progress on this by say August is a referendum needed to be put to the people to ask should we go back to normal or continue lockdown as is?

Eh no.

Think we should leave this one to the health experts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Logan Roy wrote: »
    They have limited testing capacity. It's called prioritisation.

Surely asymptomatic carriers need isolating as well?

If we have no progress on this by say August is a referendum needed to be put to the people to ask should we go back to normal or continue lockdown as is?

And how exactly do you think that would go?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

growleaves wrote: »
    How is that hysterical? The guards have powers of arrest. The penalties for a conviction are a €2,500 and up to six months in prison.

This is Ireland. You'd want to acting so egregiously out of order to be arrested.

They are not going to be arresting anyone for walking 2.5km from their home. That's hysterical nonsense.

Having a house party though... Proper order. Taking the family to the holiday home... Proper order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,899 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Wombatman wrote: »
    Military campaign against the virus?

If hospitals get swamped to the point they can’t cope due to the restrictions not being adhered to... the government will have no other option. Maybe even to saves lives before that happens they could have the military out.

I come from the line of thinking that if you are doing nothing wrong you don’t need to worry...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Panrich

I was part of a queue for the local supermarket today and some scrote just appeared around the corner and walked straight in the door bypassing the queue of about 15 people. It's the likes of that cnut that makes these new powers necessary. I don't like them but I can understand why they're being brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

There are some people online claiming that the coronavirus was here in December. It is because they got walloped by some virus and immediately saying its SARS Cov2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Heard 17 days for one, still waiting.

Yeah I can’t return to work until I get them . Pain in the hole

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

This is Ireland. You'd want to acting so egregiously out of order to be arrested.

They are not going to be arresting anyone for walking 2.5km from their home. That's hysterical nonsense.

Ok I see what you're saying.

I'll say it.
    I don't like that.
    I was born in the 1960s, have always had an interest in history, and though I know we are in a relatively difficult period right now, I do not like the fact that I can be arrested tomorrow for walking more than 2km from my home.

Argue all you like but I feel very uncomfortable about that.

100% agree.
    People should be careful what they wish for, especially when it comes to the government and Garda getting such draconian powers. Rights signed away so easily are often very hard to win back.
    Remember also that the Garda are very much an authority by consent force. They do not have the resources to deal with large scale disobedience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

It's great to see more restrictions in place, but in reality; how can this be really policed?

The manpower just isn't there

I'm guessing a large part of it will be to deter the people who might be wavering but won't go with this news. There'll always be a (small) percentage of people who will breach the rules, but the aim will be to deter as many as possible.

Like another poster said, I'd be somewhat uncomfortable with these new measures. I understand why they're coming in to place, but I would hope that there's some time limit on them (if that's feasible).

100% agree.
    People should be careful what they wish for, especially when it comes to the government and Garda getting such draconian powers. Rights signed away so easily are often very hard to win back.
    Remember also that the Garda are very much an authority by consent force. They do not have the resources to deal with large scale disobedience.

That's it, we should organise a protest march.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Is this a joke?

Pretty much all the nursing homes are privately owned and run, and source (or don't source) their own equipment and PPE. They're nothing got to do with the HSE.

There's been a lack of PPE in Ireland and globally. Many nursing home staff don't even know how to use PPE, Infectious Diseases isn't their area...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

So where exactly is this law? I can't find it.

What is essential travel? To go food shopping.... pharmacy.... laundry? Where is this wrote down in our statute book?

How is the 2km measured? As the crow flys a 2km circle boundary from my house?

I'm shocked they've made this legally enforceable.

• Advertisement

YFlyer wrote: »
    There are some people online claiming that the coronavirus was here in December. It is because they got walloped by some virus and immediately saying its SARS Cov2.

If they haven’t got the medical expertise and facts to back it up they should shût the fûck up... Twitter is basically just full of empty headed fûckwit attention seekers, best ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I think there's going to be a looming mental health crisis off the back of all this. I don't suffer from anything personally but even I am starting to feel that black dog. Vulnerable people must really be feeling it now. It's bleak.

100% agree

My mental health is absolutely fúcked from this.

I'm starting to resemble this guy more and more every day

https://bamfstyle.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/dude6-main.jpg

Move to Italy so and you won't be allowed out of your house.

Dumb comment.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Aren't a lot of nursing homes here run for profit?

They still fall under HIQA's umbrella regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Dr o Keefe v Dr McConkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Surely asymptomatic carriers need isolating as well?

LIMITED TESTING CAPACITY

if you can only test 1500 people a day you aim at the people who have the highest probability of having the disease you are testing for.

How can you identify asymptomatic carriers? Who do you target for testing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

100% agree.

The erosion of civil liberties is what concerns me most also

• Registered Users Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

That is f'ing moronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Panrich wrote: »
    I was part of a queue for the local supermarket today and some scrote just appeared around the corner and walked straight in the door bypassing the queue of about 15 people. It's the likes of that cnut that makes these new powers necessary. I don't like them but I can understand why they're being brought in.

Why did ye all let him away with it?

Grow a pair and speak up.

• Advertisement

100% agree

My mental health is absolutely fúcked from this.

I'm starting to resemble this guy more and more every day

https://bamfstyle.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/dude6-main.jpg

Obviously you’re not a golfer !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement