Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭snowcat

py2006 wrote: »
    Seriously, you really think they have put in these measures for the craic? or that they are stupid?

Its alarming how people assume because they or close family members have not been effected they can do whatever the hell they want.

I was full in favour of the lockdown at the start and through to end of April. The failure to acknowledge the improving situation after that and to not look at other more advanced countries to see what happens when you ease the lockdown has moved them into the stupid category.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Or they could have agreed with you all here and said fcuk it, open everything. Sure we will be grand!!

And then 1000s more die...

Not a certainty but the fact that it could well happen if EVERYONE was selfish...

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

snowcat wrote: »
    I was full in favour of the lockdown at the start and through to end of April. The failure to acknowledge the improving situation after that and to not look at other more advanced countries to see what happens when you ease the lockdown has moved them into the stupid category.

Same here, in fact all the way to the update by Varadkar the few days before the 18th of May. The phased plan terrible, travel within our own county at least would have been welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,126 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

You can go 5km, and you can very easily do 40km while staying within that radius of your home.

How do you know you haven't passed it on to somebody? How do you know you won't get it from somebody?

Well given the very low number of cases in Ireland, the chances of that are very low. Do you also get on your high horse about people living normal lives during every flu season? That can kill if you pass it on to someone, yet no one gets up in arms about it, calling for people to be charged with a crime etc. If this virus isn't in the process of burning itself out, it's going to be with us a while and probably will become a seasonal illness that comes around every year. Might as well learn to live with it because keeping people locked up indefinitely is not feasible.

Or they could have agreed with you all here and said fcuk it, open everything. Sure we will be grand!!

Not a certainty but the fact that it could well happen if EVERYONE was selfish...

For feic sake no one is saying that. What most sane posters are saying is we should listen learn and implement the successful policies of our close neighbours and friends. They have implemented these policies and 1000's have not died. Please dont brand people as being selfish for being sensible.

• Advertisement

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Well given the very low number of cases in Ireland, the chances of that are very low. Do you also get on your high horse about people living normal lives during every flu season? That can kill if you pass it on to someone, yet no one gets up in arms about it, calling for people to be charged with a crime etc. If this virus isn't in the process of burning itself out, it's going to be with us a while and probably will become a seasonal illness that comes around every year. Might as well learn to live with it because keeping people locked up indefinitely is not feasible.

Oh I am not on any high horse, and I don't think people will every be locked up indefinitely.

We have been VERY lucky in this country with the numbers.

Oh I am not on any high horse, and I don't think people will every be locked up indefinitely.

Very Lucky? We have one of the highest rates per mill of population in the world. How much more unlucky do you want us to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Same here . The problem is they dragged the lockdown on too long and the road map is too slow . People are fed up of silly delays and restrictions and are doing their own thing . Had they opened up things quicker and at the same time with mandatory masks then people would be more inclined to listen
    As it is people can’t be arsed now with the slow lifting of certain restrictions and are doing as they see fit .
    A more sensible approach would have more support but I think this snail paced lifting had antagonised many and the NPHET guidlines is loosing support
    Everyone I know did exactly what was asked of them all along and are now totally peed off with the 5kms restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Penfailed

How can there be a pandemic without numbers higher than an average flu.

You obviously don't know the meaning of the word pandemic.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobitTV wrote: »

The current timescale is a shambles.
    The issue is they explained these 3 week phases as allowing scope to evaluate the impact of one phase before moving on to the next. Given the way this virus spreads that makes sense. However it also turns into a "lazy" option, particularly for NPHET. There are so many members and it probably only takes one or two to dig their heels in and it's difficult to change a previously agreed "plan"

Ultimately the politicians should be more responsible and accountable for some of this, but the current state of politics in Ireland is a disaster. The parties involved in trying to form a government should get on with it and then take charge of this whole issue. However I think the respective parties really do not want to be seen to be responsible in case something goes wrong. Hence the overall position ends up being driven by Tony and his crew who are currently pretty much unaccountable to anyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

It’s a pity shyte isn’t worth anything. If it was this thread could fund the 350 covid payment for the next 50 years .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It gets worse. The closer the full opening gets to September the closer we get to flu season and as we know every sniffle gets diagnosed as COVID19 now so they'll be great fun altogether.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

..........and that's because we did what was asked of us, we ticked every single box we were asked to tick... sooner than the health authorities thought possible. We did not experience a spike. We got our numbers down through social distancing and staying at home for nearly 10 weeks. Ironically the Government and HSE have NOT ticked all the boxes as their testing and tracing has been so far behind. Initially they cancelled 40K tests as they couldn't keep up with the demand.

So now people are doing their own thing, getting back to their lives,going further than the ridiculous 5km which no other country is enforcing!! We are the laggards of Europe, the slowest in the class. Was Leo not saying only a week ago we didn't want to be the last in Europe to open up schools? So what's he doing about that :confused::confused:

In the last 3 days I have seen groups of little kids playing out in the evenings together where I live, teenagers playing football on the green, teenage girls in groups taking selfies, lots of people having group walks and chats, tons of cars on the roads. If you keep treating citizens like 5 year olds then they'll eventually get sick of it. The game is up now, daily numbers prove we have done a good job. Industry and government ministers will be putting the pressure on Tony Holohan and Simon Harris to have these restrictions moved forward. To prolong them makes no sense.

It’s an absolute joke at this stage. Just 4 deaths today in the whole country and we have 2 more weeks of lockdown ahead. Then another 3 weeks lifting some restrictions.

Currently you can’t park or drive on certain roads in the Phoenix park. We are told it’s to help with social distancing. But it’s obviously because they don’t want people going. In the Botanic gardens they don’t have the toilets or greenhouses open. Hard to spend a few hours somewhere with no toilet.

They still don’t want us to leave our houses. They seem to think they are going to eradicate an illness with no vaccine.

Even more frustrating than the lockdown itself is the pro lockdown supporters. A woman on social media today posted “The numbers are STILL too high”. When she was asked what numbers would be acceptable, her only answer was 0.

Hopefully changes to the Covid payments might wake people up. At the moment, people are been fed a lie that lives matter more than the economy. This lie is coming from a party desperate to gain public support and cling to power. And the people have eaten every word of it up.

These people are in for a shock when reality hits. We don’t have an endless pot of gold.

..........and that's because we did what was asked of us, we ticked every single box we were asked to tick... sooner than the health authorities thought possible. We did not experience a spike. We got our numbers down through social distancing and staying at home for nearly 10 weeks. Ironically the Government and HSE have NOT ticked all the boxes as their testing and tracing has been so far behind. Initially they cancelled 40K tests as they couldn't keep up with the demand.

So now people are doing their own thing, getting back to their lives,going further than the ridiculous 5km which no other country is enforcing!! We are the laggards of Europe, the slowest in the class. Was Leo not saying only a week ago we didn't want to be the last in Europe to open up schools? So what's he doing about that :confused::confused:

In the last 3 days I have seen groups of little kids playing out in the evenings together where I live, teenagers playing football on the green, teenage girls in groups taking selfies, lots of people having group walks and chats, tons of cars on the roads. If you keep treating citizens like 5 year olds then they'll eventually get sick of it. The game is up now, daily numbers prove we have done a good job. Industry and government ministers will be putting the pressure on Tony Holohan and Simon Harris to have these restrictions moved forward. To prolong them makes no sense.

Most of us did what was asked of us. I have heard that they expected 60%-70% would adhere to recommendations but you always get the idiots who ignore and assume they are not affected.

I lost count of the times I was brushed against while out walking or in the supermarket. Perhaps these figures would be a lot better today if it wasn't for those people?

Anyway, they did say they would bring forward the easing of restrictions if the numbers keep going down.

Even more frustrating than the lockdown itself is the pro lockdown supporters. A woman on social media today posted “The numbers are STILL too high”. When she was asked what numbers would be acceptable, her only answer was 0.

Hopefully changes to the Covid payments might wake people up. At the moment, people are been fed a lie that lives matter more than the economy. This lie is coming from a party desperate to gain public support and cling to power. And the people have eaten every word of it up.

These people are in for a shock when reality hits. We don’t have an endless pot of gold.

Am I right in saying that the covid payments have to be paid back by certain people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Most of us did what was asked of us. I have heard that they expected 60%-70% would adhere to recommendations but you always get the idiots who ignore and assume they are not affected.

I lost count of the times I was brushed against while out walking or in the supermarket. Perhaps these figures would be a lot better today if it wasn't for those people?

Anyway, they did say they would bring forward the easing of restrictions if the numbers keep going down.

Someone brushed past you in the shop? The bastards. PM me hun xx. Seriously get a grip, I hope you don't have to get a bus or any other sort of public transportation because you'll have a fit if someone so much as yawns within 10 foot of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

A woman on social media today posted “The numbers are STILL too high”. When she was asked what numbers would be acceptable, her only answer was 0. .

Those type of people will never be satisfied even if the number goes down to 0. Her excuse will be “ What if it returns we better stay locked up for longer to make sure “

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'd be *very* surprised if someone contracted Covid from being brushed against briefly.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Stark wrote: »
    I'd be *very* surprised if someone contracted Covid from being brushed against briefly.

Well hypochondriacs can catch a disease if someone in the neighbouring country sneezes so I wouldn't be surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Am I right in saying that the covid payments have to be paid back by certain people?

If you typically earn less than €350 a week, aka part time or casual workers, you will have to pay back the difference.

If you work full time and typically earn more than €350 a week you won’t owe anything. That was my understanding of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

RobitTV wrote: »
    They would rather keep everyone inside until August and demand we hang on every word coming from Chairman Holohan and his servant Simon Harris.

By the time August arrives the rest of Europe will be back to the original normal. Not the so called 'new normal' the media try and repeat at every opportunity.

So full sports stadiums will be back in Europe by August? I hope so!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

SusieBlue wrote: »
    If you typically earn less than €350 a week, aka part time or casual workers, you will have to pay back the difference.

If you work full time and typically earn more than €350 a week you won’t owe anything. That was my understanding of it anyway.

There's no requirement under the scheme as it currently is to pay anything back. That's why there is a lot of concern over this, and indeed why we have a thread dedicated to the subject (where you can raise any further questions on this ;)). You may have to pay tax on it, but that will only be collected later

Stark wrote: »

Thats not the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,126 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Lol, and have there been many cases proven to be be transmitted by "brushing against" someone? If shops and walks were that dangerous then the cases wouldn't be dropping at all because everyone is doing those things. Anyway, from the other persons point of view, it was probably you who was doing the offensive brushing up against so therefore its all your fault.

I did more than that at the start. Wore a mask and goggles and gloves. Still wear the mask, not the goggles. The staring was a bit incessant. Im only 40. Im also an engineer with an appetite for numbers. I done the stats on this from the start and could see the correlations. I correctly timed the peak within a week in spain and advised my friends, I corrected a poster (Kermit the frog) who stated that the US was doomed a few weeks ago and said their cases would not increase from then irrespective of their easing measures. I could see the peak here about mid April (In fairness Tony and the Nphets had the same date). Brazil is at or near their peak now. Sweden has passed.

Lol, and have there been many cases proven to be be transmitted by "brushing against" someone? If shops and walks were that dangerous then the cases wouldn't be dropping at all because everyone is doing those things. Anyway, from the other persons point of view, it was probably you who was doing the offensive brushing up against so therefore its all your fault.

Oh ffs.

Then in your view, all the social distancing and restrictions of numbers in shops etc is pointless and stupid?

And not not everybody is a total twat ignoring the social distancing but some are.

I mean, how do you know they haven't been coughing and sneezing into the arm all day and then its rubbed up against you and of course they don't know if I have it or not.

Anyway, I am new to this thread and I am sure this has been all said to death on here.

I did more than that at the start. Wore a mask and goggles and gloves. Still wear the mask, not the goggles. The staring was a bit incessant. Im only 40. Im also an engineer with an appetite for numbers. I done the stats on this from the start and could see the correlations. I correctly timed the peak within a week in spain and advised my friends, I corrected a poster (Kermit the frog) who stated that the US was doomed a few weeks ago and said their cases would not increase from then irrespective of their easing measures. I could see the peak here about mid April (In fairness Tony and the Nphets had the same date). Brazil is at or near their peak now. Sweden has passed.

Would you go along with the theory that what we have experienced here in Ireland since late March and Apr could indeed be the dreaded 2nd wave that people are worried about?

I know people who were unwell in Nov/Dec and Jan and looking back on it could believe they may have had it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Oh ffs.

Then in your view, all the social distancing and restrictions of numbers in shops etc is pointless and stupid?

And not not everybody is a total twat ignoring the social distancing but some are.

I mean, how do you know they haven't been coughing and sneezing into the arm all day and then its rubbed up against you and of course they don't know if I have it or not.

Anyway, I am new to this thread and I am sure this has been all said to death on here.

I agree with you, it's amazing how many people can't follow one simple instruction. Infuriating when people are roaming around the supermarket not following one simple thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Well look at this way , you were brushed against numerous times and still didn’t get it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement