Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭snowcat

py2006 wrote: »
    Would you go along with the theory that what we have experienced here in Ireland since late March and Apr could indeed be the dreaded 2nd wave that people are worried about?

I know people who were unwell in Nov/Dec and Jan and looking back on it could believe they may have had it.

Yes. That is quite possible but no i dont know. But certainly is possible. There was a radio article on RTE i think lately with a member of the WHO who said it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that Covid originated in Europe. The Covid strain in the US originated in Europe. I Myself had covid symptoms for the first time in my life in early Feb. I was also in Spain in early Feb. There was certainly a strange flu virus in Ireland from Nov to Mar from anecdotal evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Well look at this way , you were brushed against numerous times and still didn’t get it

or I could be asymptomatic

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

People like you are still harping on with this symptomatic rubbish when they barely even have a reliable test for Covid,but they have it down that 97% of people are symptomatic by day 11 cop on to yourself.

I'm taking the info for my "wild conjecture" from The Lancet in March and the Annals of Internal Medicine from early May.

"There were 181 confirmed cases with identifiable exposure and symptom onset windows to estimate the incubation period of COVID-19. The median incubation period was estimated to be 5.1 days (95% CI, 4.5 to 5.8 days), and 97.5% of those who develop symptoms will do so within 11.5 days (CI, 8.2 to 15.6 days) of infection. These estimates imply that, under conservative assumptions, 101 out of every 10 000 cases (99th percentile, 482) will develop symptoms after 14 days of active monitoring or quarantine."

This data is echoed by the WHO, ECDC, CDC, HPSC, etc etc. I'm inclined to go with the elite level scientists behind these studies, and these bodies and agencies, and will continue to base my opinions on academic, peer-reviewed research ahead of some random langer who still thinks this is a bad flu.

Unless you can cite me a paper from the last fortnight that debunks these prior papers? In which case I'll rescind my previous post and will adapt my thoughts based on that new info. Cheers.

Lyle wrote: »
    I'm taking the info for my "wild conjecture" from The Lancet in March and the Annals of Internal Medicine from early May.

"There were 181 confirmed cases with identifiable exposure and symptom onset windows to estimate the incubation period of COVID-19. The median incubation period was estimated to be 5.1 days (95% CI, 4.5 to 5.8 days), and 97.5% of those who develop symptoms will do so within 11.5 days (CI, 8.2 to 15.6 days) of infection. These estimates imply that, under conservative assumptions, 101 out of every 10 000 cases (99th percentile, 482) will develop symptoms after 14 days of active monitoring or quarantine."

This data is echoed by the WHO, ECDC, CDC, HPSC, etc etc. The list goes on. I'm inclined to go with the elite level scientists behind these studies, and these bodies and agencies, and will continue to base my opinions on academic, peer-reviewed research ahead of some random langer who still thinks this is a bad flu.

Unless you can cite me a paper from the last fortnight that debunks these prior papers? In which case I'll rescind my previous post and will adapt my thoughts based on that new info. Cheers.

A come on. This is boards we are hardly going to be citing articles from our subscription to the Lancet.

snowcat wrote: »
    A come on. This is boards we are hardly going to be citing articles from our subscription to the Lancet.

You don't need a subscription to read these papers online.

Here's the Annals of Internal Medicine:
    https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-0504

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

or I could be asymptomatic

Gosh , you have been dragged into the fear factor haven’t you ??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The republic should be split in two. All the lockdown merchants can fcuk off and live out their life of misery. Probably as worried about the sky falling in as the Mickey mouse Corona virus...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

SusieBlue wrote: »
    If you typically earn less than €350 a week, aka part time or casual workers, you will have to pay back the difference.

If you work full time and typically earn more than €350 a week you won’t owe anything. That was my understanding of it anyway.

No. Revenue have said it's likely to be taxable so if you normally pay the high rate of tax you'll have to pay it on this too
    Taxation of COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment

Revenue has indicated that it will treat the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment as taxable income. Depending on a person’s overall income during a year, the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment may affect a person’s overall tax liability for the year.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/covid19_pandemic_unemployment_payment.html

You don't need a subscription to read these papers online.

Here's the Annals of Internal Medicine:
    https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-0504

Ok. Im going to skip reading those and go with the practical evidence from countries that have eased restrictions and seen no increase in cases. Ie The rest of Europe
    You can peer review them at your leisure.

I suspected this scenario in March and wrote on this forum about my fears. A bunch of morons incapable of making decisions running the place , what did you expect?

Cripped with fear and anxiety. Paralysis is all a have and endless waffle, talk and bull****. They excel at it here... i wouldn't trust those ***** to open the post and they are causing havoc to peoples jobs, mental health, businesses, relationships etc and saving the best for last ANOTHER recession. There is going to be serious backlash when the cost of this idiocy, has to be paid for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Someone I spoke to today is very worried waiting on a test...they have private health insurance and nothing is currently happening in private hospitals.

On Ireland’s cancer website, it says someone is diagnosed with cancer every 3 minutes....imagine all of those that have been missed for the past 8+ weeks.
    Cancer’s death rate is 100% if not treated unfortunately, compared to Covid’s <1%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Is it true the virus is disappearing just read something I sky news about it’s fading away faster than they’d like because they want to make a vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭sporina

Someone, somewhere is thinking something similar after seeing you while out walking, believing its only them entitled to be out.

you might wanna re read my post!!!

but hope I don't make as much noise as cars when out walking lol

Deaths, deaths, deaths you want to stop thousands of deaths a year. Ban cigarettes, they wont though, will they? Pathetic!

Someone needs to tell doctor nick and the clown varadkar and the schoolboy, that nobody gets out of life alive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The republic should be split in two. All the lockdown merchants can fcuk off and live out their life of misery. Probably as worried about the sky falling in as the Mickey mouse Corona virus...

tbh Simon Harris should be removed from his post. Not only is he incompetent but you get the distinct feeling this vengeful nerd hasn't seen the inside of a pub more than a dozen times and would be quite happy to keep them closed until 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

It's time to lockdown the country permanently.

We have to make sure nobody ever dies again. We need to flatten the heart attack, stroke and cancer curve!

Holohan will approve.

Has someone hacked your account

Oh gosh, I don’t know, haven’t been on today. Is it acting strange?

Oh ffs.

Then in your view, all the social distancing and restrictions of numbers in shops etc is pointless and stupid?

And not not everybody is a total twat ignoring the social distancing but some are.

I mean, how do you know they haven't been coughing and sneezing into the arm all day and then its rubbed up against you and of course they don't know if I have it or not.

Anyway, I am new to this thread and I am sure this has been all said to death on here.

You are assuming Covid is rampant in the community - that most people in the supermarkets have it? They dont and its not. Its almost eradicated in the community and there is almost no spread if someone has it. So I don't know what all the fear is about. People are consumed by fear! They're driving their cars wearing masks - this virus is not airborne! You need to be in someone's close proximity for 15 minutes to get it, not brushing past them.

This following is an advisory from the HSE.ie (How Covid spreads)
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/472f64-covid-19-coronavirus-guidance-and-advice/

Covid spreads by spending more than 15 minutes face-to-face contact within 2 metres of an infected person

Close contact does not include someone you passed on the street or in a shop. The risk of contact in that instance is very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

How amazing if lots of people are like that, no need for this ridiculous lockdown

Ok. Im going to skip reading those and go with the practical evidence from countries that have eased restrictions and seen no increase in cases. Ie The rest of Europe

Okay..? I didn't really say anything about that, I haven't been watching what other countries are doing. I was just pointing out in my original post that that optimism around the last two days low figures as they relate to the Phase 1 re-openings could be tempered by the fact that we're still within the elongated incubation window and that a more accurate picture of the impact of lifting restrictions would be visible across the later part of next week, if there were any impacts at all.

Could you link me to any analysis or summary of the specific scenarios and situations around Europe that you mention that might have some potential for mimicry here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I see this thread has been taken over entirely by the shrill panic merchants. The restrictions hopefully will be forwarded given the figures. Hang tough troops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Oh ffs.

Then in your view, all the social distancing and restrictions of numbers in shops etc is pointless and stupid?

And not not everybody is a total twat ignoring the social distancing but some are.

I mean, how do you know they haven't been coughing and sneezing into the arm all day and then its rubbed up against you and of course they don't know if I have it or not.

Anyway, I am new to this thread and I am sure this has been all said to death on here.

Look if you're really that overwrought then youre probably better off just buying lifetime supply of beans and bottled water and just never going outside again.

Okay..? I didn't really say anything about that, I haven't been watching what other countries are doing. I was just pointing out in my original post that that optimism around the last two days low figures as they relate to the Phase 1 re-openings could be tempered by the fact that we're still within the elongated incubation window and that a more accurate picture of the impact of lifting restrictions would be visible across the later part of next week, if there were any impacts at all.

Could you link me to any analysis or summary of the specific scenarios and situations around Europe that you mention that might have some potential for mimicry here?

Ok. Google might help. But look at Austria Switz Germany Netherlands Spain France Sweden Czech Uk Italy Norway Denmark I could go on

Ok. Google might help. But look at Austria Switz Germany Netherlands Spain France Sweden Czech Uk Italy Norway Denmark I could go on

Cool, I just asked hoping you might have some specifics that you thought were directly applicable to altering our road map. No worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

None of those countries have ended their lockdowns though?

biggebruv wrote: »
    Is it true the virus is disappearing just read something I sky news about it’s fading away faster than they’d like because they want to make a vaccine

Just read the article and they do seem to want cases to linger to allow a vaccine to proceed through more staged trials while Covid is around.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-disappearing-so-fast-oxford-vaccine-has-only-50-chance-of-working-11993739

Cool, I was hoping you might have some specifics that you thought were directly applicable to altering our road map. No worries.

Im not sure what you want. Even the most basic relaxations in those countries we dont have. They can have a beer in a bar in the worst affected country in Europe but we cant here. A haircut here is months away. They have been having haircuts in switzerland since April

They have experimented with these restrictions in Austria and Switzerland/ Denmark weeks ago. It has been proven they do not raise any risk. WHY WHY WHY are we not learning

• Registered Users Posts: 8,126 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

You are assuming Covid is rampant in the community - that most people in the supermarkets have it? They dont and its not. Its almost eradicated in the community and there is almost no spread if someone has it. So I don't know what all the fear is about. People are consumed by fear! They're driving their cars wearing masks - this virus is not airborne! You need to be in someone's close proximity for 15 minutes to get it, not brushing past them.

This following is an advisory from the HSE.ie (How Covid spreads)
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/472f64-covid-19-coronavirus-guidance-and-advice/

Covid spreads by spending more than 15 minutes face-to-face contact within 2 metres of an infected person

Close contact does not include someone you passed on the street or in a shop. The risk of contact in that instance is very low.

Exactly. They have found that most people do not transmit the virus, even to those they live with. Its estimated that just 10% of cases are responsible for 80% of the spread. So even if the person who brushed off you in the supermarket was infected, the risk of transmission is still close to zero. Unless they also coughed in your face or something.
    Most of the discussion around the spread of SARS-CoV-2 has concentrated on the average number of new infections caused by each patient. Without social distancing, this reproduction number (R) is about three. But in real life, some people infect many others and others don’t spread the disease at all. In fact, the latter is the norm, Lloyd-Smith says: “The consistent pattern is that the most common number is zero. Most people do not transmit.”

That’s why in addition to R, scientists use a value called the dispersion factor (k), which describes how much a disease clusters. The lower k is, the more transmission comes from a small number of people. In a seminal 2005 Nature paper, Lloyd-Smith and co-authors estimated that SARS—in which superspreading played a major role—had a k of 0.16. The estimated k for MERS, which emerged in 2012, is about 0.25. In the flu pandemic of 1918, in contrast, the value was about one, indicating that clusters played less of a role.

Estimates of k for SARS-CoV-2 vary. In January, Julien Riou and Christian Althaus at the University of Bern simulated the epidemic in China for different combinations of R and k and compared the outcomes with what had actually taken place. They concluded that k for COVID-19 is somewhat higher than for SARS and MERS. That seems about right, says Gabriel Leung, a modeler at the University of Hong Kong. “I don’t think this is quite like SARS or MERS, where we observed very large superspreading clusters,” Leung says. “But we are certainly seeing a lot of concentrated clusters where a small proportion of people are responsible for a large proportion of infections.” But in a recent preprint, Adam Kucharski of LSHTM estimated that k for COVID-19 is as low as 0.1. “Probably about 10% of cases lead to 80% of the spread,” Kucharski says.

That could explain some puzzling aspects of this pandemic, including why the virus did not take off around the world sooner after it emerged in China, and why some very early cases elsewhere—such as one in France in late December 2019, reported on 3 May—apparently failed to ignite a wider outbreak. If k is really 0.1, then most chains of infection die out by themselves and SARS-CoV-2 needs to be introduced undetected into a new country at least four times to have an even chance of establishing itself, Kucharski says. If the Chinese epidemic was a big fire that sent sparks flying around the world, most of the sparks simply fizzled out.

Some people are living in extreme fear purely because of the fear mongering going on. It is possible to go back to some semblence of normal life and still avoid mass infections .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Someone I spoke to today is very worried waiting on a test...they have private health insurance and nothing is currently happening in private hospitals.

On Ireland’s cancer website, it says someone is diagnosed with cancer every 3 minutes....imagine all of those that have been missed for the past 8+ weeks.
    Cancer’s death rate is 100% if not treated unfortunately, compared to Covid’s <1%.

Agree with most of your post but just to point out that the 3 minute bit is Obviously global and not specific to Ireland.

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    Agree with most of your post but just to point out that the 3 minute bit is Obviously global and not specific to Ireland.

Why is that obviously global? Those figures sound about right. About 50k cancers id guess a year in Ireland, A terrible disease and way worse than covid with a higher mortatity rate. Will we shut the economy for it and give patients unlimited medical bills covered by the state. Id be hopeful but id like to see Simons take on it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement