Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I think the cost of rolling lockdowns as we are experiencing now is significantly greater than making sure people quarantine.

Germany are imposing 25,000 euro fines on people who break it.

Some countries realise what's involved and some countries are corrupt as ****.

I'd say we are in the latter.

If UK do it we will have to do it anyway. Just like Schengen Agreement, they made that decision.

It's going to cost a **** load more when even one school closes and people sh!t themselves and pull little Johnny out of school.

No amount of "you can't do that" is going to stop people looking after our kids.

We should have gone down the road of heavy sanctions on the population for breaking any of the pandemic rules nd guidelines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

So corrupt as **** = not a dictatorship?

Imposing a total restriction on travel is an ENORMOUS impact on people. The government has to be answerable to an electorate and the electorate would probably have been furious if they had cut the country off from the rest of the planet in March.

There’s been a balancing act in all European countries since this kicked off.

Germany has the borders open to all but a few EU regions on their high risk list. You can fly in from Dublin or Cork or wherever without any fuss or risk or 25 grand fines. The restrictions and mandatory testing target people travelling from Belgium, Luxembourg, Catalonia and a few other spots with outbreaks.

It’s probably more sensible than an unenforceable 2 week self quarantine, but it’s probably also far from a perfect solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

wowzer wrote: »
    There's a thread here informing how to fix the issues, it's in Android Devices forum. I don't know how to link it.

Right you are. I'm on my phone so this is the touch site link
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058103101/1

• Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

owlbethere wrote: »
    We should have gone down the road of heavy sanctions on the population for breaking any of the pandemic rules nd guidelines.

heavy sanctions rarely work, in changing behaviors, we ve plenty of evidence from criminal behavior for that

Imposing a total restriction on travel is an ENORMOUS impact on people. The government has to be answerable to an electorate and the electorate would probably have been furious if they had cut the country off from the rest of the planet in March.

Germany has the borders open to all but a few EU regions on their high risk list. You can fly in from Dublin or Cork or wherever without any fuss or risk or 25 grand fines. The restrictions and mandatory testing target people travelling from Belgium, Luxembourg, Catalonia and a few other spots with outbreaks.

It’s probably more sensible than an unenforceable 2 week self quarantine, but it’s probably also far from a perfect solution.

thankfully ireland is no where near a dictatorship, america on the other hand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

No amount of "you can't do that" is going to stop people looking after our kids.

This is the new it's the eu's fault. What they really mean is we don't want do that. Where there is a will there is a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

My iPhone is saying I’ve used 3% since this month on Covid-19 exposure logging and 0% on the app itself. I’ve Bluetooth on constantly. No issues

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    heavy sanctions rarely work, in changing behaviors, we ve plenty of evidence from criminal behavior for that

Policing does work though. Look at our road traffic mortality figures. No policing no compliance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Yeah I agree it's difficult. When you say electorate do you mean people with a second home abroad.
    They are part of an electorate just not a big part.

Wave 2 should focus people's minds on a solution when this whack a mole ****e clearly doesn't work.

We are in summer,
    soon it'll be autumn
    then it'll be winter.

Let's see how long the borders stay open
    when respiratory illness season hits.

I've personally never got a flu in august.
    This is MORE contagious.

Policing does work though. Look at our road traffic mortality figures. No policing no compliance.

unfortunately mortality will probably always occur in relation to motorised propelled vehicles, its far more complex than just policing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

Santy2015 wrote: »
    My iPhone is saying I’ve used 3% since this month on Covid-19 exposure logging and 0% on the app itself. I’ve Bluetooth on constantly. No issues

The issue is on Android and seems to be related to Google Play Services.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Right you are. I'm on my phone so this is the touch site link
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058103101/1

Cheers, for your sake I really hope it works for everyone, as you know some people get a bit tetchy around here if dodgy info is linked 😜

matrim wrote: »
    The issue is on Android and seems to be related to Google Play Services.

i think an app i use regularly is crashing because of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

mandrake04 wrote: »
    In fairness wether its 4000km or 40km its still an island, if you don't want planes to land it easy enough just park buses across the runways then it doesn't matter if it long haul or not.

Tasmania is about 400km from Melbourne , but its been Covid free for months.

The only difference is the 6 counties, if there was a unified agreement to be a covid free island it could work. and also the mindset of the cunts wanting to go on holidays.

I'm off on holiday soon to a green list country and I object in the strongest terms to being called a cunt by you or anyone else. An easy thing to call someone on the Internet, I doubt you'd say it to anyone's face.

Yes I just looked at my usage there.

Google play services 28.2%
    Covid tracking app 14.8%

Everything else under 1%

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Had only the one notification that the app was causing issues. But then over the last day the phone was getting hot, then notifications this morning about something causing the cpu to overheat. Great having a high end phone but then the worry comes in that something is borked :)

Cleared cache from Stephens link to another boards thread so will keep an eye on it!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    maybe we re using our phones more?

Our road traffic figures also correlate almost exactly to the rollout of motorways and infrastructure improvements. We are broadly in line now with the U.K. and Sweden on mortality, but we are also broadly in line with developed areas of the EU (of similar density) on road infrastructure. Not that long ago, a majority of our trips took place on single carriageway.

Driver éducation about risks and a change in culture of acceptability of drunk driving had huge impact. So has the NCT and a dramatic reduction of the age of the average car which was also down to economic.

Ireland is one if the least deferent countries on the planet, so are Australia and NZ. The likes of the USA and France etc may seem rebellious but they’re far more likely to fall into line with imposed rules. There’s social psychology research on this, I’m just not just surmising.

So basically to get Ireland to do something socially beneficial like improve road safety or in this case stop the spread of a virus requires national buy in and a cultural change. We very pragmatic and very cooperative about dealing with things when we want to. If you try bullying us, you’re herding cats.

wowzer wrote: »
    Cheers, for your sake I really hope it works for everyone, as you know some people get a bit tetchy around here if dodgy info is linked 😜

I've tried a few things on one of the phones in our house soon see if it works.

My own phone is a Samsung s10 plus and I'm not having any issues

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Actually, I'm down to 63pc after a full charge overnight.

Is there an app I can get to check power usage in depth?

Hot weather affects phones and battery lifehttps://www.google.com/search?q=does+hot+weather+drain+phone+batterys&rlz=1C1CHBF_enIE750IE750&oq=does+hot+weather+drain+phone+batterys&aqs=chrome..69i57.12490j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

polesheep wrote: »
    I object in the strongest terms to being called a cunt by you or anyone else. An easy thing to call someone on the Internet, I doubt you'd say it to anyone's face.

He'd probably pronounce it in a weird way equivalent to putting the 'u' in italics, a coont or something...

• Advertisement

Yes I just looked at my usage there.

Google play services 28.2%
    Covid tracking app 14.8%

Everything else under 1%

Yup fairly similar if not higher numbers on my mother's phone.
    My own one is also a Samsung and play services are 0.5 % and the covid app barely registers usage

upupup wrote: »

Google did a Play Services update if components of Android and appear to have caused this. The exposure logging system is built into android as an API and framework. The Irish app just uses those services. It looks like google screwed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I think the cost of rolling lockdowns as we are experiencing now is significantly greater than making sure people quarantine.

Germany are imposing 25,000 euro fines on people who break it.

Some countries realise what's involved and some countries are corrupt as ****.

I'd say we are in the latter.

If UK do it we will have to do it anyway. Just like Schengen Agreement, they made that decision.

It's going to cost a **** load more when even one school closes and people sh!t themselves and pull little Johnny out of school.

I’m having this conversation with my wife just there.

On one side there is the economic, mental and progressional benefits of children going to school. I want my children back in school and think it’s imperative that schools open.

But I can’t just bury my concerns and ignore them because of this. I really wanted to pull my children out of school weeks before the lockdown but didn’t trust my instincts. I led herd consensus dictate back then (sure wouldn’t they close schools if it was serious) but I won’t distrust my instincts as quickly.

So far there hasn’t been much about schools other then they will reopen. My wife was reading the reopening plans that are at best ambiguous. If schools re-opening are low risk I want to be convinced with reliable information from reliable sources. If they can’t do that because there is none then I want an honest appraisal and the mitigation strategies being done to reduce the risk.

I don’t think they have an easy job to be honest and I don’t know how they are going to make this work. I’m going to try and reach out to our local school to see what they are planning (schools are opening in less then 3 weeks Time, surely they at least know what they plan to do) and to see if I can help in anyway. Maybe if I’m involved a bit I will feel more comfortable sending my children back.

Has anybody got any reliable (non propaganda) links to schools in other countries? It would be nice to see reliable data that shows how schools fair after reopening and what measures appear to be most successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

RTE with a big article on a Danish meat factory with 142 cases. Not a single article on any of ours.....

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0808/1158099-covid-world-update/

RTE with a big article on a Danish meat factory with 142 cases. Not a single article on any of ours.....

theyre obviously trying to cover it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

80 virus cases at Kildare factory - many asymptomatic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Regarding the battery issue and Covid app implications :

HSE reporting that it is a google issue - seems to be play store/services related.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/covid-tracker-app-hse-working-google-amid-reports-battery-issues-1058201

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

polesheep wrote: »
    I'm off on holiday soon to a green list country and I object in the strongest terms to being called a cunt by you or anyone else. An easy thing to call someone on the Internet, I doubt you'd say it to anyone's face.

I have done a few times and they did nothing about about it... funny that.

If we were deferential, we would be accepting the ridged class system and you’d be bowing to the Earl of Leinster or whoever.

We were selectively deferential to the church but in almost every other area, not at all. The psychology behind that is also complex, but in general in Ireland if you want to get the population to do something, you need to explain why it’s worth doing, get everyone on board and have it become worthwhile.

If you impose arbitrary rules and penalties, you’ll just get a lot of people’s backs up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Boggles wrote: »

Nowhere to be seen on front page of website.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement