Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

I think it's horrible when people use the fact that most people that died had an underlying condition as an excuse to ignore social distancing etc. Things like asthma and weight are considered an underlying condition.

I am in my twenties and pretty fit. I have asthma, if I died I'd be listed under people with an underlying condition. I feel like people think it's only people that would die soon anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

I can't wait to go back to work, I'll be in all this week and probably every day til we reopen sorting buts of ICT, printing and organising in case we do face a lockdown again. Throwing every kid back in the first day is madness though, a slow return would have allowed intense training, in PPE, sanitation and remote learning. We could also have spent far more time checking in with the kids emotionally, some will have had a very rough few months. The panicked approach at the last minute is mad. Kids absolutely need to be back but we also need something sustainable or they'll just get a few chaotic weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

alroley wrote: »
    I think it's horrible when people the fact that most people that died had an underlying condition as an excuse to ignore social distancing etc. Things like asthma and weight are considered an underlying condition.

I am in my twenties and pretty fit. I have asthma, if I died I'd be listed under people with an underlying condition. I feel like people think it's only people that would die soon anyway.

Exactly, things that were not an issue before Covid19, that people could live a normal life with and work quite happily while managing the illness, are now an issue depending on the medications a person is on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Which vaccine? The mRna. The attentuated? Which target protein was he discussing, which methodology? What phase trial is it in?

Moderna mRna

One the US are backing with billions

All over the news yesterday

Fauci talked about it

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

I think unless numbers are at a level that necessitates a national lockdown, kids need to go back to school. This is for a number of reasons, the financial impact of childcare and the impact on their intellectual and mental health being the primary reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

redmgar wrote: »
    I think unless numbers are at a level that necessitates a national lockdown, kids need to go back to school. This is for a number of reasons, the financial impact of childcare and the impact on their intellectual and mental health being the primary reasons.

Oh, they're going back alright. It's just going to end in tears though. Mark my words.

alroley wrote: »
    I think it's horrible when people the fact that most people that died had an underlying condition as an excuse to ignore social distancing etc. Things like asthma and weight are considered an underlying condition.

Your far more likely to be hit by lightning than die of Covid, I'm not joking

Blondini wrote: »
    Oh, they're going back alright. It's just going to end in tears though. Mark my words.

Do you think they'll be open a week?

Would be very suprised if we don't see a headline of Covid infected school closed within 3 days of re opening, its going to be farcical

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Your far more likely to be hit by lightning than die of Covid, I'm not joking

Chances of dying from lightning in a given year is 0.0001%, chances of dying from covid-19 is between 0.2 - 0.5% currently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

What's clear now is people that are affected by this disease need to shield away and the rest need to get on with it

Less than 100 people with no underlying conditions have died here in 8 months

99.9% of healthy people are going to survive

Vaccines are only 50% effective at best of times, they are not going to save everyone

Teachers that are over 60 or have underlying conditions should be made stay at home and get the Covid payment

Parents of that age with underlying need to keep kids at home as well, perphaps the older teachers can teach them online

We need an yearly NCT for people, needed it for years

Either way there needs to be a logical decision made following a coherent philosophy. The gov. position right now, right or wrong, is that the virus is so dangerous they need to lockdown businesses, counties, issue travel ban advisories etc. 0 sense going by that philosophy to open up schools.

• Advertisement

Chances of dying from lightning in a given year is 0.0001%, chances of dying from covid-19 is between 0.2 - 0.5% currently

I said hit which is like 0.03%

How many people do you know who got hit by lightning?

How many 20 somethings do you know who died with Covid?

I know none

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Lots on trolling going on today.

I know none

So, scientifically, that's a satisfactory sample size to extrapolate to the whole population?

I can see issues with internal and external validity when it comes to peer reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

I know none

I know a 25 year old that's basically crippled by covid since March.

Her heart rate goes berserk if she does anything approaching exercise and she then requires days of recuperation to get back to her new "normal".

We're all worried she's going to die.

Is that good enough for you, pal?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

gabeeg wrote: »

Her heart rate goes berserk if she does anything approaching exercise and she then requires days of recuperation to get back to her new "normal".

An internet anecdote from an anonymous randomer - sure that's good enough for anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

An internet anecdote from an anonymous randomer - sure that's good enough for anyone.
    Absolutely heartless thing to say. You think people are making up this stuff? For shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭combat14

Extremely devastating' - staff and parents await test results after two cases of Covid-19 at creche

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/extremely-devastating-staff-and-parents-await-test-results-after-two-cases-of-covid-19-at-creche-39435284.html

is this what awaits school kids, teachers, parents and grand parents when schools become the new meat factories of ireland ..

Awful, absolutely awful. Unfortunately I'm hearing and reading about loads of cases like this in Dublin alone.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

What are peoples worries about their kids going back to school?

My main selfish worry is that the plan to reopen schools is terrible and is very likely to lead to a resurgence in cases. If/when that happens, not only will schools close but we will lose the social outlets we got back in phase 2 and 3. No more sports, no more playgrounds, maybe no more visits to extended family. While I want my son to experience the social benefits of returning to school, I do not want it to happen if it leads in short order to him losing the small bit of his social life that he's recently gotten back.

On a societal level my worry is for all of the further infections that will come about from a resurgence of cases. And the long-term health issues and deaths they could lead to for some.

Absolutely heartless thing to say. You think people are making up this stuff? For shame.

The chances of spoofing on the internet's a lot higher than the chances of 'knowing' some 25 year old riddled with the Covid.

When did you start using the internet?

Yesterday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Don't mind him. He and the others like him are posting the same bullsh1t over and over on about all covid threads. Just ignore it, if they get no response to their posts they just disappear and try to fish somewhere else.

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Don't mind him. He and the others like him are posting the same bullsh1t over and over on about all covid threads. Just ignore it, if they get no response to their posts they just disappear and try to fish somewhere else.

Yeah just checked back i think you are correct. Hard to ignore outright ignorance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

The chances of spoofing on the internet's a lot higher than the chances of 'knowing' some 25 year old riddled with the Covid.

When did you start using the internet?

Yesterday?

RTE programme on a week or two ago featured a nurse in her 20s who had had Covid-19 and was still suffering the after effects. Her name is Kelly Talty

https://www.rte.ie/news/investigations-unit/2020/0721/1154658-covid-im-fit-and-healthy-and-its-absolutely-floored-me/

This nurse, Siobhan Murphy, also 20s, spoke to a Special Covid Response Committee about her experiences, including being off work for 12 weeks and suffering continuing severe side effects.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0721/1154577-covid19-committee/

Proof enough for you?

Yeah just checked back i think you are correct. Hard to ignore outright ignorance though.

Some of their ground-breaking 'insights' would make Jim Corr blush.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Has she had this investigated and is she getting treatment? Myocarditis and pericarditis are not uncommon after a viral infection and Covid certainly seems to commonly trigger post-viral issues in otherwise healthy people. (In my own experience caused by returning to high activity levels too soon in early recovery.) They usually resolve with over time with rest but really should be monitored by a health professional who can help her recover safely.

Murple wrote: »
    RTE programme on a week or two ago featured a nurse in her 20s who had had Covid-19 and was still suffering the after effects. Her name is Kelly Talty

https://www.rte.ie/news/investigations-unit/2020/0721/1154658-covid-im-fit-and-healthy-and-its-absolutely-floored-me/

This nurse, Siobhan Murphy, also 20s, spoke to a Special Covid Response Committee about her experiences, including being off work for 12 weeks and suffering continuing severe side effects.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0721/1154577-covid19-committee/

Proof enough for you?

Self-diagnosed 'tiredness' from one of Ireland's moaniest professions?

Sounds legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Sounds legit.

Since when did we get displaced as the 'moaniest' profession? 😂😜

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Sounds legit.

I bow to your superior knowledge of moaniest going by your contribution to the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

Awful, absolutely awful. Unfortunately I'm hearing and reading about loads of cases like this in Dublin alone.

My partner is the same. 30 year old healthy Male pre April. Was very sick for 2 weeks. Now has lung and cardiac problems and is still low energy but getting better each week gradually. Has been referred to both respiratory and cardiac consultants now due to this.
    Attended A&E twice in April and both times told he didn't need to be tested for Covid. GP is now closely monitoring him and we think he knows (the GP) he made a mistake and should have got him tested back then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

iguana wrote: »
    Has she had this investigated and is she getting treatment? Myocarditis and pericarditis are not uncommon after a viral infection and Covid certainly seems to commonly trigger post-viral issues in otherwise healthy people. (In my own experience caused by returning to high activity levels too soon in early recovery.) They usually resolve with over time with rest but really should be monitored by a health professional who can help her recover safely.

She lives in Canterbury and so is with the NHS.
    I'm not really sure what treatments/investigations she's getting, though I know she's finally getting some scans etc having been held back for months by a sceptical GP.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement