Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Lads coming down from Belfast to Dublin is mostly against the prevailing wind. Even with a mild wind of say 25km/h, if you are doing 110km/h GPS, then your real speed for consumption purposes is 135km/h. I'm surprised you actually got 170km range out of the car like that. The only time I ever even attempted that was also against the prevailing wind, but there was very little wind and it was much warmer and I had 10% left after 180km (with a fully loaded car) and I slowed down from my ususal 120km/h GPS to 110km/h and later 100km/h as the percentage kept dropping (and I only just had the car)

We all know Ioniq has a tiny battery. It can't magic any more kWh out of it if the circumstances change, so you need to be very aware of that. It's the one thing that I don't have to think about much now in Model S, but hey the battery is 3 times as big! You can do 200km motorway at above the speed limit in any circumstances and never run short

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

BigAl81 wrote: »
    It's pretty funny / blatant false advertising that the Ioniq was marketed as a 280km range car when it first came out :eek:

We can blame the NEDC test cycle for those numbers

[*]Winter Range at 120 km/h

I think this would really reduce a lot of confusion with EVs.

That's all we'd need really. Would give a fair comparison between EVs in situations where you need your range most. Ioniq would come out of that looking well in range per kWh battery, being very efficient and aerodynamic. But there is very few kWh to play with...
    It's pretty funny / blatant false advertising that the Ioniq was marketed as a 280km range car when it first came out :eek:

It was just the NEDC driving cycle test. All cars published their range based on that test. Funnily enough, of all cars, Ioniq probably came closest to achieving that in real life (under very good circumstances, low speed and with a light foot)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes, that was one of my few gripes with my Ioniq. The battery was not linear and the second "half" was more like 40-45%.

Definitely noticed that too. I get much better efficiencies when the battery is nearer to full, I think it can lull folks who don't drain the battery much into thinking the car will do more range than it actually will.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

unkel wrote: »
    It was just the NEDC driving cycle test. All cars published their range based on that test. Funnily enough, of all cars, Ioniq probably came closest to achieving that in real life (under very good circumstances, low speed and with a light foot)

there was a video done by Hyundai where they achieved 300Km on a full battery driving around 50Km/h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

I think I'll advocate for the "Big Al Range Scale" for all EVs...
    1. Winter Range at 120 km/h
    2. Winter Range for City Driving
    3. Summer Range at 120 km/h
    4. Summer range for City Driving

I think this would really reduce a lot of confusion with EVs.

EV Database is quite useful for this I think. They don't seem to have the original Ioniq on there but below is the link for the new one as an example.

It gives estimated range for :
    Cold: city/highway/combined
    Mild: city/highway/combined

https://ev-database.org/car/1165/Hyundai-IONIQ-Electric

jeremy_g wrote: »
    there was a video done by Hyundai where they achieved 300Km on a full battery driving around 50Km/h

Yeah the old video on motorways around Seoul at relatively low speeds of about 70-80km/h?

That's nothing though compared to that chap, was it in France (I posted it a few times in this thread) that got 431km and still had 4% range left!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I don't know WTF way you lads/lassies drive. I never saw less than 200kms range on the Ioniq when I owned it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I don't know WTF way you lads/lassies drive. I never saw less than 200kms range on the Ioniq when I owned it. :D

My usual displayed range was 220-205km when I bought it, which changed to 175km within about 2 weeks of my ownership.

I guess it's not really intended for solely motorway miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

My usual displayed range was 220-205km when I bought it, which changed to 175km within about 2 weeks of my ownership.

I guess it's not really intended for solely motorway miles.

Normally between 220-245km for me - I'm rarely on the motorway though.

• Advertisement

That goes to show it's not the car, just my heavy foot/motorway use.

That goes to show it's not the car, just my heavy foot/motorway use.

Yeah, for you it was just short. Another 5-10kWh and you would probably have been happy.

Yeah, for you it was just short. Another 5-10kWh and you would probably have been happy.
    Absolutely. If they had the Ioniq with the 64kWh battery from the Kona (without the nerf that the Ioniq38 gets in charging speed) that would have been brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭eagerv

We are finding our Ioniq very efficient with mainly non motorway driving, usually getting the higher figures mentioned.
    Doesn't mean either that it's being driven slowly, but smoothly seems to help a lot.

Hope our soon to arrive ID.3 is nearly as efficient... I don't expect it to be, but if it comes within 10% I will be more than happy.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Was it Kramer?

Here or here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

I'm surprised you actually got 170km range out of the car like that.

I've done it plenty of times in the last 2 months when the temperature was above 15 degrees, and always comfortably made it with 20 to 30kms to spare while driving faster.

Take your point on the wind, but it was a still evening, calmer than other days best I could tell at least. However the temperature was 12, and dropped to 11 degrees at the end so I suspect that's the difference. Such a fine line!
    liamog wrote: »
    We can blame the NEDC test cycle for those numbers

While I understand Hyundai will do what they can to make a profit, they shouldn't advertise this on their website when they know it's utter BS in normal driving conditions.

And my grannys next door neighbour three times removed smoked 47 packs of cigarettes a day and lived to be 120 :D The problem with that story is the sales man in the garage even quoted this to me, even as recently as a few months ago. I kept saying that's not realistic, but he kept saying the car can do X because it happened once :(

I had 220kms on the GOM heading off on Sunday and after 169kms I had zero left so watch out for that, again in particular with the smaller second "half" of the battery your range will drop like a stone as your battery percentage drops. It's not liniar unfortunately.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

While I understand Hyundai will do what they can to make a profit, they shouldn't advertise this on their website when they know it's utter BS in normal driving conditions.

Not sure you can aim a gun at any one manufacturer here, they have to give the tested figures for comparison. NEDC ratings were just really bad, but it was across the board. When we bought ours the dealer told us that 200km was more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

While I'm at it, here's some consumption numbers from Friday with a temperature of 15 degrees.

I drove from Dublin to Castlebellingham at 110km/h on the way up North and got an average consumption of 14.5kWh.

I drove from Castlebellingham to the border at 120km/h and got an average consumption of 20kWh!!! :eek:

Always surprises me how much more inefficient it is to go up to 120km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Since lockdown, and specifically wfh/no motorway commute, my gom has gone from a fairly steady 174 to a fairly steady 225.... I've never seen numbers like it :-)
    Yeah its a pity that its not a bigger battery/ range but its still a ferociously great car, and most people here got it for a good price and good a good ROI (if you ever want to pretent that a car is an investment)

I bought mine brand new and owned it for 3 years. The total cost of ownership per month was lower than the banger I drove before it, that I bought for €800 and scrapped when I got Ioniq. And I only do about average mileage. Those of you in here with big (pre-COVID) commutes saved yourselves an absolute fortune compared to any ICE cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I have the 38 kWh Ioniq on loan at the moment as a courtesy car while my own classic Ioniq is in getting the charge port fixed under warranty.

It's a fine car in many ways, and I'd buy it if I could get it for the same monthly repayments as I'm paying at present on the classic (about halfway there since it's a 181), but when I went about it earlier in the year, I was quoted about half again what I'm currently paying, so no.

Pros:

- The bigger screen is great, and you can have map and battery status displayed at once.
    - Range is the obvious one, and you'd really notice the difference.
    - This one has leather seats, which I miss from my old Accord, and they're motorised and have the memory function, which I would really love, since my wife drives my car all the time.
    - There's also a charge limit, which is a good feature for protecting the battery, plus an EV route option and some sort of location-based charging system (which I haven't tried out).
    - Apparently it has app support, but what's the betting it's not available in Ireland!
    - Also, it just feels like it's that bit more nimble than my own one, and that's in normal mode for both.

Cons:

- The price!
    - Also, the grey dashboard is a real pain - the reflection impairs windscreen visibility so you feel like you're driving on a hazy day all the time. I would get it in black if I was buying.
    - The suspension - you really feel every bump on poor roads.
    - There's some sort of auto-regen function that causes the car to auto-brake when behind another car slowing at a roundabout for example, but it's fairly poor for a number of reasons: it is too sensitive and brakes too early for my liking; it does phantom braking, especially on a roundabout with narrow lanes and cars in the other lane; it turns itself off and on when driving on city streets, so you can't depend on it (it stays on when you're on roads with more standard widths and lane markings, like our outer ring in Waterford). And worst, I can't find a way of turning it off! (I turned off forward driving assist, and that wasn't it - I just got a warning light on the dash with a picture of a car crashing :eek: )
    - Rapid charging is apparently slower than the classic, but that wouldn't bother me, as I'd typically stop for half an hour anyway, and that much of a top-up would be enough to get me all the way to wherever I'm likely to be going in Ireland. I'm happy to suck it up if I've to wait a bit longer on rare trips to further places like north Connacht, Ulster, or over to England.

So would I buy it? Yes, but only for the same price as the classic, and they'd have to fix that bloody auto-regen thing!

fricatus wrote: »
    - There's also a charge limit, which is a good feature for protecting the battery, plus an EV route option and some sort of location-based charging system (which I haven't tried out).

Common myth these days, Hyundai outlined in a Kona engineering video that they implemented charge limits to improve the experience for owners who live at the top of hills. Basically regen is restricted at high states of charge, the charge limit stops the car feeling different.

Charging to 100% indicated will give you at least 1,000 cycles, restricting to 80% may take you to 2,000 cycles, but your talking about going from 300,000km to 600,000km. The car will probably be replaced long before any positive impact for you.

Price is for sure the biggest negative with the 38. Charging speed is a huge disappointment alright, but for many it could be a non issue (38 would get me back to my parents with a bit spare, and that's pretty much my longest semi regular drive. On other trips a 30 minute stop to gain 120+km would be fine.

But the price... It's worth saving a few more k and getting a much much better niro. Judging by the threads here, the niro is as well respected as the ioniq 28 is.

But the price... It's worth saving a few more k and getting a much much better niro. Judging by the threads here, the niro is as well respected as the ioniq 28 is.

It's not surprising really, the Niro is a true sister car to the Ioniq. They were developed as multi drivetrain models at the same time. The Kona was meant to be paired with an EV Kia Stonic, but that never showed up.

I have the 38 kWh Ioniq on loan at the moment as a courtesy car while my own classic Ioniq is in getting the charge port fixed under warranty.

- There's some sort of auto-regen function that causes the car to auto-brake when behind another car slowing at a roundabout for example, but it's fairly poor for a number of reasons: it is too sensitive and brakes too early for my liking; it does phantom braking, especially on a roundabout with narrow lanes and cars in the other lane; it turns itself off and on when driving on city streets, so you can't depend on it (it stays on when you're on roads with more standard widths and lane markings, like our outer ring in Waterford). And worst, I can't find a way of turning it off! (I turned off forward driving assist, and that wasn't it - I just got a warning light on the dash with a picture of a car crashing :eek: )

So would I buy it? Yes, but only for the same price as the classic, and they'd have to fix that bloody auto-regen thing!

On the Niro the auto regen can be turned off by pulling and holding the right hand steering wheel paddle. Prolly the same for the Ioniq.

I find the auto regen fantastic for town driving, it never pulls a phantom brake, no matter how tight the lane. It never turns itself on and off. Once it's off, it stays off until you pull the right hand paddle again to enable it, even after stopping and starting the car.

I turn auto regen off on motorways and country roads as this is the only way to get proper freewheeling, but in any kind of traffic, it's back on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

On the Niro the auto regen can be turned off by pulling and holding the right hand steering wheel paddle. Prolly the same for the Ioniq.

Thank you! That worked... pity the car doesn't save the setting, but it's not a big deal to disable it as soon as she's in D. It would be ideal if the preference could be saved as part of the driver memory seat selection.

I find the auto regen fantastic for town driving, it never pulls a phantom brake, no matter how tight the lane. It never turns itself on and off. Once it's off, it stays off until you pull the right hand paddle again to enable it, even after stopping and starting the car.

I turn auto regen off on motorways and country roads as this is the only way to get proper freewheeling, but in any kind of traffic, it's back on again.

Can't say the same for the new Ioniq I'm afraid... maybe the system is somewhat different from the Niro, or maybe you and I have different expectations/preferences. I'd be interested to hear what you think if you ever test drive the 38.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

liamog wrote: »
    Charging to 100% indicated will give you at least 1,000 cycles, restricting to 80% may take you to 2,000 cycles, but your talking about going from 300,000km to 600,000km. The car will probably be replaced long before any positive impact for you.

I would hope EVs last long beyond old ICE life. 300,000km, is only 7 years of my commute, and I would like EVs to last at least to this level. If the range drops it can be sold to someone in need of less range. There are lots of people looking for cheap runabouts.

Tesla recommend everyone set charge limits except if a long trip is planned. Degradation is also age related,.

Noticed what I think is a change in my charge port since the actuator was replaced.

If I remember correctly, the Ioniq charge port used to operate whereby when you plug in cable, the cable is locked in place 2-3 seconds later regardless of the state of the car (locked/unlocked).

Now since the actuator was replaced i've noticed it won't lock in place until I lock the car. Most likely this change is to reduce the frequency at which the actuator fires, but also reduces instances in which users try pull the cable from a locked port. It's a minor inconvenience to me I feel. I've to lock people in the car to get the port to lock, and unless the handshake has changed, i'll need to lock the car in order to get public charge points to initiate.

Can anyone without the modified charge port actuator replacement confirm the old way the cable locking worked?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

Now since the actuator was replaced i've noticed it won't lock in place until I lock the car.
    Can anyone without the modified charge port actuator replacement confirm the old way the cable locking worked?

this is the normal behaviour I am getting from the beginning. it locks only if you lock the car.

• Advertisement

Thank you! That worked... pity the car doesn't save the setting, but it's not a big deal to disable it as soon as she's in D. It would be ideal if the preference could be saved as part of the driver memory seat selection.

Can't say the same for the new Ioniq I'm afraid... maybe the system is somewhat different from the Niro, or maybe you and I have different expectations/preferences. I'd be interested to hear what you think if you ever test drive the 38.

The Niro does save the setting. If you have auto regen turned off, it'll stay off forever if you don't turn it back on again.

I was driving with auto regen turned on today along the quay in Wexford. I don't know if you know the road, but heading south, the road divides several times to allow right turn filter lanes. The lanes are narrow and going in and out. There was no issue at all. No phantom braking. It only braked to keep distance form the car in front, even when he was weaving in and out following the lane.

I can't ever see me driving the Ioniq 38. :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement