Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

That reminds me... how amazing is the digitized speech at the beginning of Fantasy World Dizzy on the ZX Spectrum?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

TouchFuzzy wrote: »
    It was supposed to be Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy from Yoshi's Island but there's a 14 character limit
    200_s.gif
    so it's in the line underneath if you're on the full site and my icon is a fuzzy to try connect it more.
    Dunno that Thin Lizzy song but they'd a song with my other username so I suppose that's making you think of it more
    Didn't Stop Whoopsydaisydoodles or Princess Consuela Bananahammock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Didn't Stop Whoopsydaisydoodles or Princess Consuela Bananahammock.
    gonna ask about it, looking back at the post I read about it think I misread the limit, fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

https://www.humblebundle.com
    current HB weekly has a few mastertronic games . pick up chaos engine and speedball Hd for less than a quid (plus more)

Wonder if Chaos Engine was ever patched? I got it on release and it was super laggy which isn't great for a game that needs you to respond to threats super quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/kshooterbook/kshooterbook.htm

Looks like it's back on track to be (re-)published.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I just came across a pack of 23 MIDI songs of Madonna for a Sega emulator.

You haven't heard Into the Groove until you've heard it like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Leaked poster!

2779752-newnintendo3ds.jpg

Dug out my GameCube again as I have yet to play resident evil 0 even thought I completed re1 on it.

Anybody rate it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's alright, probably the weakest of the Resi games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's alright, probably the weakest of the Resi games.

Weaker than 5 and 6??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Weaker than 5 and 6??

They never happened.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

They never happened.

Yeah, they never went the full 7, just jumped tracks to the Revelations titles.
    Maybe I should make it my business to finally finish Resi 4.... which format is the best to play it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭BGOllie

what's the revelations series like ?

5 and 6 were ok once you accepted they weren't resi games :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Maybe I should make it my business to finally finish Resi 4.... which format is the best to play it on?
    I'm the same, I think I got to chapter 4 - 3 looking at the walkthrough which is further than I thought I was, mixed up the orders of the areas
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/gamecube/535840-resident-evil-4/faqs/34675

• Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

LongZ wrote: »
    what's the revelations series like ?

5 and 6 were ok once you accepted they weren't resi games :)

I played Revelations on the 3DS and quite enjoyed it. Was a step closer to what modern RE games should be.

I do remember thinking that it really could have done without the gung-ho shooter segments which made it suddenly feel like Re 5 & 6. They have no place in a RE game.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I played Revelations on the 3DS and quite enjoyed it. Was a step closer to what modern RE games should be.

I do remember thinking that it really could have done without the gung-ho shooter segments which made it suddenly feel like Re 5 & 6. They have no place in a RE game.

The only negative for me in the Revelations game was the lack of variety in the opponents, and a few shooty scenes that were just silly, one or two bullet sponge bosses too.
    But the setting was great, and a nice twist or two in there as well.

I don't think there's any one left in Capcom that understands Capcoms old design philosophy which is what informed Resi 4 and made it so good. When you are farming your game out to multiple studios across the world including work horse Chinese ones you're going to end up with an awful game like Resi 6 which totally lacks any sense of identity.

The Capcom we knew is pretty much dead and only really holding out in their two least important viable franchises, street fighter and phoenix wright.

There's an ignorant american journalist slagging off Revenge of the Mutant Camels on Usgamer. Nobody tell the retrogamer forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

There's an ignorant american journalist slagging off Revenge of the Mutant Camels on Usgamer. Nobody tell the retrogamer forums.

That game as a child was like taking a hit of lsd!

No wonder I turned out the way I did.

• Advertisement

The Capcom we knew is pretty much dead and only really holding out in their two least important viable franchises, street fighter and phoenix wright.

The fact that they couldn't even get the new Streetfighter game off the ground without striking up an exclusivity deal with Sony is crazy and speaks volumes about the current state of affairs at Capcom.

Resident Evil 0 was an interesting idea, they were trying to eliminate the item box but that meant making sure the whole game awkwardly linked up which ruined the whole thing. They should have realised early on in development it wasn't going to work. It's worth playing for the opening train section though, after that it's all down hill.

They're so dictated now by stockholders that it'd really hurting them creatively and they've made some decisions that will end up hurting them in then long run. They fired Inafune for being outspoken but everything he said turned out to be true. It lead Capcom into the PS360 gen and they were the only japanese developer ready for that generation becasue of him. He really had to push for the creation of the MT Framework engine but in the end it ended up being one of the very best engines this gen, making development for capcom simple and produced stunning results.

All Capcom really have now is Monster Hunter and if that falls out of favour they are pretty much screwed.

Konami seem to be the same. They are only really pumping money into mobile, PES and Kojima studios. There's no room for the smaller offbeat developments they used to be known for.

Wasn't Inafune also the one responsible for Capcom to push outsourcing its franchises to western studios?

Wasn't Inafune also the one responsible for Capcom to push outsourcing its franchises to western studios?

Which isn't a bad idea if you pick the good developers and don't fire/haemorrhage all your in house development.

He knew that most Capcom staff would be tied up in projects needing massive teams so outsourcing is a smart idea. However oursourcing to cheap bottom of the barrel studios like Spark Unlimited is never a good idea.

Which isn't a bad idea if you pick the good developers and don't fire/haemorrhage all your in house development.

He knew that most Capcom staff would be tied up in projects needing massive teams so outsourcing is a smart idea. However oursourcing to cheap bottom of the barrel studios like Spark Unlimited is never a good idea.
    Some of the choices weren't bad. Bionic Commando (wife arm aside) and Dead Rising 2 for example (so much so, that Capcom actually bought out the studio responsible for that one), as well as Strider. Buuuuut we all know about DmC, which was Amazing Spiderman levels of unnecessariness for a reboot that only irritated fans. Especially considering that DMC4 was the best selling in the entire series. Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City wound up being the absolute worst in the entire franchise, and the less said about Lost Planet 3, the better.

Strider was a surprise for me. Double Helix are a dreadful developer but they put out two great games with Strider and Killer Instinct, then got bought out by amazon just as they finally did something good.

DMC wasn't a bad game. New Dante's juvenile writing was nearly as embarassing as Duke in Duke Nukem Forever but they very nearly got the combat system right. The bosses were ****e, the sections where the level changed were nothing but eye candy that could be broken by... uh not moving to see that there was no actual danger, and some awful gameplay decisions (30fps and colour coded enemies) hampered it somewhat but they might have made something a lot better with another stab at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Has anyone picked up any of the Hardcore Gaming 101 books?

New one on the way about Konami shoooters that has me interested.

No experience of their previous books though.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/kshooterbook/kshooterbook.htm

kshooterbook-front.jpg

kshooterbook-back.jpg

I'd recommend them, excellent books and very comprehensive.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I'd recommend them, excellent books and very comprehensive.

What's the quality of the book itself like, decent enough?

• Advertisement

space manbow?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement