Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭benny79

Yep had it done myself about 6 years ago! The difference is huge so much so half my mates got it done..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Good interview with Rory for "Off the Ball" here

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beaulieu

HighLine wrote: »
    Good interview with Rory for "Off the Ball" here

I thought it was deadly dull...not a bit like the ususal high standards of Off The Ball. Assume parameters of interview were strict but ....yawn

• Advertisement

That noise.

Making plenty of those noises today in Abu Dhabi ;)

Finished with a 66, two shots ahead of Spieth and behind Bryson Dechambeau.

Interesting leaderboard. Stenson up there in second on -7 but some of the younger lads are tearing it up too. Apart from Dechambeau, Daniel Brooks and Matt FitzPatrick are also in the top 10 (with holes to play).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

interesting to see Dechambeau up there.
    He is most definitely one to watch, but I don't think I am ever going to warm to him after he came across as a complete knob at the US amateur last year

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Seve OB wrote: »
    He is most definitely one to watch, but I don't think I am ever going to warm to him after he came across as a complete knob at the US amateur last year

Yes, his victory speech was cringe worthy. These bible thumping US golfers are a serious pain in the ass.

Apparently all his irons are the same length (including wedges). Might be a few more of us trying that in future!

Good showing by Rory this morning especially considering his long Christmas break. Really hoping he can get the putter going this year and reclaim his rightful spot at No. 1.

Apparently all his irons are the same length (including wedges). Might be a few more of us trying that in future!

Good showing by Rory this morning especially considering his long Christmas break. Really hoping he can get the putter going this year and reclaim his rightful spot at No. 1.
    His putting was pretty good. But for all that, he had 28 putts against Spieth's 24.

His GIR was far better and he hit a good few more fairways. Spieth missed a few makeable putts as well. There are a bunch of good players up at the top of the leaderboard or within striking distance: Stenson, Sullivan, Grace, Kaymer, FitzPatrick, Luiten etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

His putting was pretty good. But for all that, he had 28 putts against Spieth's 24.

His GIR was far better and he hit a good few more fairways. Spieth missed a few makeable putts as well. There are a bunch of good players up at the top of the leaderboard or within striking distance: Stenson, Sullivan, Grace, Kaymer, FitzPatrick, Luiten etc.

Spieth had 10 GIR to McIlroys 16, with Spieth chipping more he would have putted less. Putts per round is such an awful stat imo, by that stat alone Spieth should have shot much lower than McIlroy

• Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I wouldn't be looking at one event , we will know over a season.

I'd honestly consider this a home event for Rory. But wouldn't make any judgments either way this weekend.

Looking above - Rory is swinging incredibly.

Not sure if it is just in my head - but he looks like he has a reduced tempo - looks effortless. That looks like he is swinging about 70 %.

More knobness carry on today. Refused to look for playing partners ball

• Registered Users Posts: 51,504 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Came across as a total prat.
    Don't like him at all.

More knobness carry on today. Refused to look for playing partners ball
    The quote when asked how he felt to be playing with Mcilroy was also a bit off: Just another game of golf.

Wasn't so much the words as the big smirk that accompanied them.

Didn't work out so well for him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

The quote when asked how he felt to be playing with Mcilroy was also a bit off: Just another game of golf.

Wasn't so much the words as the big smirk that accompanied them.

Didn't work out so well for him anyway.

I can't see why so many people had such a problem with that. The oul ones on Sky Sports were positively aghast!

It's nothing a million sportsman haven't said a million times before when asked similar questions - if anything it's a bit of a cliched response!

I never saw his US Amateur speech and don't know anything about him not looking for partner's golf ball... but I haven't seen anything about him so far that's not to like. Seems all right, a very intelligent chap by all accounts and an interesting guy.

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    I can't see why so many people had such a problem with that. The oul ones on Sky Sports were positively aghast!

It's nothing a million sportsman haven't said a million times before when asked similar questions - if anything it's a bit of a cliched response!

I never saw his US Amateur speech and don't know anything about him not looking for partner's golf ball... but I haven't seen anything about him so far that's not to like. Seems all right, a very intelligent chap by all accounts and an interesting guy.
    Absolutely. It's a question I've seen asked and answered dozens (if not hundreds) of times and you expect a certain cliched response in a certain way.

This was just that bit different. More than a bit cocky and delivered in a way that you couldn't really doubt the intention. The thing is that there's nothing wrong with being cocky but you need to back it up. Patrick Reed is still living down his 'Top five' comment and Dechambeau turned into de shambles ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Haters gonna hate, he should join Greystones GC and ye'd all be brown nosing him then.

Haters gonna hate, he should join Greystones GC and ye'd all be brown nosing him then.
    If a guy is coming across as a bit of a dick, why not say so? I had no opinion on him other than some interest in his methods and theories and the fact that they seemed to be working.

Watched him a bit more closely and that's where the opinion is coming from. They're not all dicks in Greystones GC btw. :P

I think you should take that back. I made an observation based on what I saw of the guy, not based on what club he comes from.
    If a guy is coming across as a bit of a dick, why not say so? I had no opinion on him other than some interest in his methods and theories and the fact that they seemed to be working.

Watched him a bit more closely and that's where the opinion is coming from. They're not all dicks in Greystones GC btw. :P

Exactly. and thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Back to talking about Rory, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

He could have won by ten shots if he sank some of the chances he created with his fabulous driving and iron/wedge play. I'm sure it will get alot of focus over the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I could watch that all day

Rikand wrote: »
    I could watch that all day

That sound and this vision...

It's mesmerising...

I'm, not even kiddin, I'm totally gonna put that on repeat the next time I can't sleep... that sound is mesmerising...

I'm, not even kiddin, I'm totally gonna put that on repeat the next time I can't sleep... that sound is mesmerising...

Just noticed that his left foot remains planted and almost completely immobile throughout his swing.

That used not to be the case before his injury.

Just noticed that his left foot remains planted and almost completely immobile throughout his swing.

I stood behind McIlroy and watched him on the range the last time the Irish Open was in Carton House (2012, 13??)... what a pleasure it was. He was hitting gap wedges, I think, and he must've hit 12/15 absolutely identical one after the other. Identical trajectory, identical distance - the balls must have almost been landing one on top of the other. It was beautiful to watch - and that sound... then he went out and played sh*te! :o:D :pac: Funny ol' game...

I stood behind McIlroy and watched him on the range the last time the Irish Open was in Carton House (2012, 13??)... what a pleasure it was. He was hitting gap wedges, I think, and he must've hit 12/15 absolutely identical one after the other. Identical trajectory, identical distance - the balls must have almost been landing one on top of the other. It was beautiful to watch - and that sound... then he went out and played sh*te! :o:D :pac: Funny ol' game...

Also watched him on the range at Carton. Obviously in awe of his swing and observing ball flight but my lasting memory of it was some overbearing father who was shouting at Michael Bannon (Rory's coach... who was mid lesson) to get out of the way so his little darling could have an unobstructed view. :D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

He has always planted his foot. Few few ever raise that foot, something us guys could learn from :)

• Advertisement

Keano wrote: »
    He has always planted his foot. Few few ever raise that foot, something us guys could learn from :)

He used to roll it onto the outside edge. There were lots of close ups of it after the accident and discussion as to how much pressure the ankle could take.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement