Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,637 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

JJayoo wrote:
    People who **** in the urinals

Say what now?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Mellor wrote: »
    Why are you thinking about strangers’ penises in the gym?

I thought it was a side effect of steroid use

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

silverharp wrote: »
    why do so many young men want to have a small pen1s?

It affects the beans, not the frank, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

why do so many young men want to have a small pen1s?

It doesn't do anything to your penis, your balls however shrink/disappear for a while until you've completed your PCT. If anything it works better...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

JJayoo wrote: »
    People who **** in the urinals

Who would so such a thing in your shed gym...???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

D3V!L wrote: »
    Its more common in most gyms than the average guy thinks. In my gym there are people who appear every couple of months to "top up" their muscle growth when they start a new roid cycle.

Its obvious who they are because they're usually at least twice the size of the other gym goers, lifting tiny weights and usually p!ssing sweat.

That's not how steroids work. If they are big it's because they lift heavy, juice or no juice. You can't just juice and grow. They help you work harder and recover quicker, but you need the progressive overload to get big.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I thought it was a side effect of steroid use

Steroids can shrink the balls, the penis will remain unaffected. The balls grow back afaik

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Brian? wrote: »
    That's not how steroids work. If they are big it's because they lift heavy, juice or no juice. You can't just juice and grow. They help you work harder and recover quicker, but you need the progressive overload to get big.

Everyone says this but it's bollox. I see so many ripped huge lads in gym who lift moderate enough but there's only so much you can do. Steroids enable guys to have physiques that just pop with little effort. I'm short and stocky so would never bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Everyone says this but it's bollox. I see so many ripped huge lads in gym who lift moderate enough but there's only so much you can do. Steroids enable guys to have physiques that just pop with little effort. I'm short and stocky so would never bother.

Different types but essentially what we call the catch-all terms of steroids give you extra testosterone (so if you see women who use you’ll notice their physiques often trend towards more traditionally masculine), which enables better performance. So yeah, what Brian is saying is spot on. If you ever see lads who juice but don’t workout hard enough or incorrectly, they tend to just get fat or their body can start to look puffy and malformed. It’s not just a case of injecting it at night and you wake up an adonis.

Haven’t used myself btw, never saw the risk/benefit as even nearly worth it, and anyone who’s seen my physique can attest to that.

It really isn't bollox. The only way to build a good physique is with hard work, steroids just let you work harder and grow faster. The training triggers the growth.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Three guys hanging round/using the leg press forever. Grand.
    Finally finish up and not one of them seems to know how to take a single plate off.
    6 x 25s and 6 x 20s left for me to take off. :rolleyes::mad::mad: Felt like a metcon by itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Lads shouting "YUP" really loudly non stop.

I'd find it more annoying if it had meant I had to strip bars bit it's one thing I've noticed since moving to Flyefit. There are more people that just leave loaded bars and f**k off than people that strip a bar when they're done.

I just find it it ignorant and an act of shítehawkery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

I'd find it more annoying if it had meant I had to strip bars bit it's one thing I've noticed since moving to Flyefit. There are more people that just leave loaded bars and f**k off than people that strip a bar when they're done.

I just find it it ignorant and an act of shítehawkery

I'm certain that if there ends up being a Hell, it'll be filled with solely these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Why do you think athletes take steroids?
    Because what you suggesting would be of absolutely no benefit.

And short stocky guys use steroids just as much as tall guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Went to use a squat rack the other day and someone had taken the hooks for the bar out, left them on the ground and moved the spotter bars up to use. I didn't see them in action, but just why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

rpurfield wrote:
    Went to use a squat rack the other day and someone had taken the hooks for the bar out, left them on the ground and moved the spotter bars up to use. I didn't see them in action, but just why?

Practicing jerks from blocks? (or bars in this case)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭JayRoc

rpurfield wrote:

Practicing jerks from blocks? (or bars in this case)

Or concentric squats?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

1/4 squats

rpurfield wrote: »

Pin squat
    Pin press (bench or OHP)
    Rack pulls
    Good morning to pins
    Jerks off pins

Could have been some of those

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭rpurfield

That's me told so :eek:

Actually to be clear they were above my shoulder height (I'm not the tallest) but they were nearly at my head, I'm about five nine, to do anything surely you would've had to step out past them anyway, same as the hooks.

rpurfield wrote: »
    That's me told so :eek:

Actually to be clear they were above my shoulder height (I'm not the tallest) but they were nearly at my head, I'm about five nine, to do anything surely you would've had to step out past them anyway, same as the hooks.

Could have been shoulder presses onto pins. Who knows.

May well have been something mental as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Brian? wrote: »

I have no personal experience but I read a study where they gave the subjects testosterone and measured muscle gain. The lads who worked out but got no test gained the least amount of muscle, the lads who lifted and got test gained the most muscle mass (unsurprisingly), but the group who didn't work out at all but got test gained the second highest amount of muscle.

The guys sitting on the couch got more muscle in the same time period as the guys working out naturally :/

That’s not really surprising.
    Men are naturally more muscular than women. Almost purely down to test level.
    So it stands to reason, that if you spend a few months with increased test levels, you’re going to carry more muscle mass in response. You’re still using muscles daily.

But once you respond to that new level, it’s going to taper off. You’re probably talking a few lbs gained then plateauing.

Edit:
    They gained 3kg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Zillah wrote: »
    I have no personal experience but I read a study where they gave the subjects testosterone and measured muscle gain. The lads who worked out but got no test gained the least amount of muscle, the lads who lifted and got test gained the most muscle mass (unsurprisingly), but the group who didn't work out at all but got test gained the second highest amount of muscle.

The guys sitting on the couch got more muscle in the same time period as the guys working out naturally :/

I heard about that study. But weren't they being given a massive, massive amount of test? i.e. beyond what a regular stack would contain?

I heard about that study. But weren't they being given a massive, massive amount of test? i.e. beyond what a regular stack would contain?
    Nothing particularly unusual.
    600mg

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199607043350101

Greg Nuckols delves into all that including the study, here:

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/the-science-of-steroids/

Greg Nuckols delves into all that including the study, here:

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/the-science-of-steroids/

Thanks interested to see if his opinion makes my own or if I'm talking pony

Mellor wrote: »
    Thanks interested to see if his opinion makes my own or if I'm talking pony

It's just a good overview of a few different elements.

Doesn't go into much detail on why but it does say that they do cause your muscles to synthesise more protein.

That leads into another study on why they directly make you bigger but do not.directly make you stronger.

• Advertisement

That leads into another study on why they directly make you bigger but do not.directly make you stronger.

In the study above the steroids + no exercise group got stronger.
    Almost as much as the exercise group

Edit: I think I get what he is saying, it was the muscle mass that made him stronger not the steroids. Hmmm, bold claim

Advertisement