Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

however id never post a pic from the changing room, or of another person.
    Yeah I'd never take a photo from the changing room, or steamroom/sauna either. I think that goes without saying.
    I'd sometimes catch random bystanders in the background on the gym floor. I try to make it clear I'm recording, and if anyone ever had an issue being in the background, I'd of course respect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Mellor wrote: »
    I try to make it clear I'm recording,

stone mad for the snapchats id say Mellor :P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

Some mad lad took the only deadlift/squat belt in the entire gym and started wearing it for his whole time there while using the free weights machine. Doesn't even do a deadlift/squat. Unless there's something else going on, I'm seriously confused Ted.

Why would anyone want to wear the gyms squat belt??? That's like sharing out the same pair of gym socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Why would anyone want to wear the gyms squat belt??? That's like sharing out the same pair of gym socks.

Except there's rarely skin to skin contact so not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I see lads in the gym going around wearing the belt all the time. Doesn't matter what they are doing, they put the belt on at the start of their workout and take it off at the end. I can only imagine all the additional gains they are getting and I'm missing out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

JJayoo wrote: »
    Your going straight on the list.

*you're

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

brownej wrote: »
    *you're

*Anus

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

JJayoo wrote: »
    *Anus

It's actually Mianus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

People who drink shakes and eat at there desks none stop. Drives me mental!

TallGlass wrote: »
    People who drink shakes and eat at there desks none stop. Drives me mental!

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Desks? In the gym?

I don't really mind people on their phones as long as they're not taking unnecessary time in between sets while arsing around on the phone or having full blown conversations on the phone. The latter really irritates me as the gym is just not a place for that, just fcuking do your workout and ring him/her later. confused.png

There's a lad who I often see in my gym who has his iPad with him playing what appears to be one of those battle games on it. Not sure of the name, you probably know what I'm talking about - the one where you have to defend a base or something like that. He does his set, then goes to the iPad and plays away for a few minutes until his next set.
    It's probably taking the p!ss but to be fair, I'd only ever see him in there early around 5/5.30am when it's fairly quiet. You couldn't be doing that at peak hours or there'd be murder!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Cake Man wrote: »
    There's a lad who I often see in my gym who has his iPad with him playing what appears to be one of those battle games on it. Not sure of the name, you probably know what I'm talking about - the one where you have to defend a base or something like that. He does his set, then goes to the iPad and plays away for a few minutes until his next set.
    It's probably taking the p!ss but to be fair, I'd only ever see him in there early around 5/5.30am when it's fairly quiet. You couldn't be doing that at peak hours or there'd be murder!

Unless he/she is taking up equipment, then what they do in their rest is their business. If he/she refuses to let someone in then yea- issue.

People could knit a sweater using organic hemp in their rest and I wouldn't care, nor do I really care how long their rest periods are- we are not the intensity police. Somedays I give myself a relaxing day where I cruise through a workout, I don't think its anyone else's business once it doesn't negatively affect their ability to work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Unless he/she is taking up equipment, then what they do in their rest is their business. If he/she refuses to let someone in then yea- issue.

People could knit a sweater using organic hemp in their rest and I wouldn't care, nor do I really care how long their rest periods are- we are not the intensity police. Somedays I give myself a relaxing day where I cruise through a workout, I don't think its anyone else's business once it doesn't negatively affect their ability to work out.

Agreed. As long as they free up the equipment they can take 15 mins between sets for all I care. They're still there putting in some work even if they are not bringing white hot passion to it.

we are not the intensity police. Somedays I give myself a relaxing day where I cruise through a workout, I don't think its anyone else's business once it doesn't negatively affect their ability to work out.

this is something i find really good.
    i was rehabing a knee injury a whilw ago

physio gave me stuff to do in the gym alot of squats, lunges walking on the treadmill at different inclines etc etc.

nothing you could call super taxing but more painful than out of breath sweaty mess like i usually am. i was away from my normal gym for a few days and in Dublin and a guy come up to me and asked me to get off the threadmil if i was just going to be walking on it.

I had literally arrived, walked for 5 minutes, got off the threadmil, grabbed a yoga ball did some stretching, did my lunges then got back on the threadmil.

i think when i wasnt running he took offence, now there were maybe 6 threadmills and they were all full and yes i was the only one not running but come on like...

i just got up and left, felt like total div, wanted to go back and say ya know ive run miles and miles and mile but i have an injury at the moment and am rehabbing it so i need to walk for a bit, and its hard enough being in the gym and not being allowed run.

never went back to that gym and never will.

people are way to judgy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

physio gave me stuff to do in the gym alot of squats, lunges walking on the treadmill at different inclines etc etc.

nothing you could call super taxing but more painful than out of breath sweaty mess like i usually am. i was away from my normal gym for a few days and in Dublin and a guy come up to me and asked me to get off the threadmil if i was just going to be walking on it.

I had literally arrived, walked for 5 minutes, got off the threadmil, grabbed a yoga ball did some stretching, did my lunges then got back on the threadmil.

i think when i wasnt running he took offence, now there were maybe 6 threadmills and they were all full and yes i was the only one not running but come on like...

i just got up and left, felt like total div, wanted to go back and say ya know ive run miles and miles and mile but i have an injury at the moment and am rehabbing it so i need to walk for a bit, and its hard enough being in the gym and not being allowed run.

people are way to judgy.

"if you wanna run, go outside, asshole" shoulda been your response :)

Hanley wrote: »

hahahaa true, it was one of those moments that i didnt think of a good comeback until i was in the shower ranging about it later though...

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

There are 3 fixed benches for bench press in the gym I use. Today 2 of the 3 were being taken up by people doing ab work on them for 15 mins. very bloody annoying

people are way to judgy.

Should have to him to "jog on"
    Then turned around and moonwalked backwards on the treadmill

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

a guy come up to me and asked me to get off the threadmil if i was just going to be walking on it.

That's not annoying.

It's him being an utter, utter c*nt.

Jesus.

Mellor wrote: »
    Should have to him to "jog on"
    Then turned around and moonwalked backwards on the treadmill

if i could do that it would have been awesome but i cant... i am terribly uncoordinated. :P:eek:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

people are way to judgy.

I seriously would have told the guy to f*ck off. You're as entitled to walk on the treadmill (injury rehab or no injury rehab) as he is to run on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

people are way to judgy.

I once had a guy impatiently ask me between reps if I was using the seat I was on. I just told him yes (and he stood nearby watching me impatiently for a few minutes), but I really wish I had been quick enough to say "Am I using the seat....this seat, the one I am sitting on?"

Should've told him to go fup himself liveadream.

Hanley wrote: »

then in turn couldn't he say if you wanna walk go outside? just saying.
    still though, if he was f*cking tapdacing on the treadmill, it's not for anyone to
    question his reasons for it. I think we can all agree this guy was indeed an utter tool.

sad part is these guys pick their battles very carefully. Had the walker been someone slightly bogey looking or maybe a 16 stone rugby head, guaranteed his advice would be kept to himself. I'm stunned these people get away with such shyte.

ah sure dat's dowl gyms for ye nowadays eh. Bassets gym I call it, a collection of all sorts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭White Ninja

Making noises and dropping weights is very annoying, if they're too heavy for you to lift without the whole gym having to know about it, pick up lighter ones next time.
    Guys in lycra bottoms is more funny than annoying, they probably go out and get into skinny jeans, the 10mins in the shower in between, is probably the only time of the day blood gets to their feet.
    Never understood people taking pictures of themselves in the gym, saw three guys with a camcorder the other day, recording each other, presumably for social media. Not really annoying, buy I do find it odd that that people think that other people care what they're doing in the gym. If you're taking pictures of yourself, you're just telling the world how you're half ass'ing your workout. Don't think I've ever been in there sweating balls, with a big red, out of breath face on me thinking "the world needs to see this".
    People with their hoods up in the gym is a fairly new thing I've noticed, again more funny than annoying. In fairness in the movies, the boxer who trains with his hood up always wins!!
    Mobile phones in the gym is only annoying if the person using it is sitting on machine, if you've time to be on facebook between sets, you're probably taking too long, so let somebody else use the machine, while you check what your friends are eating for lunch.

As a general rule, if other people are acutely aware of your presence in the gym, you're probably being a knob, if you're using machines for purposes which they weren't intended for, like using the weight bench to step up and down off, very few people are looking at you think "That guy is an exercise pioneer", they're probably thinking..."knob"

People with their hoods up in the gym is a fairly new thing I've noticed, again more funny than annoying. In fairness in the movies, the boxer who trains with his hood up always wins!!
    "

to be fair, im guilty of this, but only on the cross trainer, the lights above it are really glarly and give me such a headache, im sure i look like a knob but its that or we all train in the dark :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Except there's rarely skin to skin contact so not really.

So there's no grime or sweat build up from on the belt then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Making noises and dropping weights is very annoying, if they're too heavy for you to lift without the whole gym having to know about it, pick up lighter ones next time.
    Guys in lycra bottoms is more funny than annoying, they probably go out and get into skinny jeans, the 10mins in the shower in between, is probably the only time of the day blood gets to their feet.
    Never understood people taking pictures of themselves in the gym, saw three guys with a camcorder the other day, recording each other, presumably for social media. Not really annoying, buy I do find it odd that that people think that other people care what they're doing in the gym. If you're taking pictures of yourself, you're just telling the world how you're half ass'ing your workout. Don't think I've ever been in there sweating balls, with a big red, out of breath face on me thinking "the world needs to see this".
    Mobile phones in the gym is only annoying if the person using it is sitting on machine, if you've time to be on facebook between sets, you're probably taking too long, so let somebody else use the machine, while you check what your friends are eating for lunch.

Apart from the hoodie I'd do most of those things.

I don't record technique in the gym, I simply don't lift like I used to (I'm aging :P ) ~ but recording lifts/technique is a very simple way to critque technique outside of the gym, personally I think its a great idea.. I do it in Judo/BJJ training all the time.

Dropping weights and making noise (grunts?).. Sure why not?.. If I (for example) incline 60kg DB's to failure you can be sure I'll drop them beside me if the alternative is risking an injury.

Hoodies, I'm guessing some people are easily distracted and a hood cuts out the surrounding environment ~ but I'm only guessing.

You'll see me on my phone between sets all the time, usually I'm filling in my training log.. Sometimes I'm on facebook or SMS and frankly its no one's business, its my phone on my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I've always felt that if a weight is too heavy for you to put down in a controlled manner then you probably shouldn't be lifting it at all. Don't go to failure if your only option at the end is to send a pair of steel bone-breakers bouncing across the floor.

A little bit of grunting is inevitable on heavy loads but guys who make enough noise to turn heads drive me nuts - gives the impression they're deliberately turning it up to show everyone how macho they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Slamming weights back on the cable machines actually really annoys me - there is a 4-way station in the gym with 2 cable stations, and then a seated cable row with a lat pull down opposite it.

I have lost count of the times I have been mid way through a lat pull down, and the person opposite me has slammed the cable back on the cable row at the end of a set - the whole station actually shudders and you can really feel it mid-rep :mad:

But not putting plates/weights back is the worst. I just don't get it. The other day a guy annoyed me so much with this, he actually did take the plates off the bar he was deadlifting with but then just left them on the floor beside the bar and walked off. I actually went over to him and said "sorry, you know there is a rack for the plates" and pointed over to it, he looked embarrassed and said "oh yeah, sorry" and brought them over. I tried to be nice about it but I must have looked like such a grumpy aul one and can't believe I did it :o - look what poor gym etiquette has turned me into :eek:

Advertisement