Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Is there any way to use a hue dimmer switch to turn on/off a tp link smart plug? I have a lamp with a weird bulb, I'd like to be able to turn it in/off with a smart switch that already controls hue bulbs in the room.

I ended up buying a couple of Innr Zigbee plugs that were really easy to add to my Hue app & set up, detail as follows:
    - I plugged in the smart plug, it was discoverable on the Hue app as a Bulb rather than a Smart Plug (without entering serial number or anything);
    - added the Bulb to a Room;
    - edited Scenes for that Room to set the new Bulb to be on/off

That's it, now I can turn on the lamp using the smart switch that was already controlling the Scenes for the Room.

Obviously, no dimming capability on the Innr Zigbee plug.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Bought some White Ambiance GU10 a 4 for conservatory and 4 for the kitchen. Stupidly enough, didn’t know that recess lights come in varieties other than GU10 - the kitchen lights have two thin pins each (MR16).

What is the best solution here? An electrician to change fitting to GU10? An adapter (without losing functionality)? Another smart brand that is compatible?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Bought some White Ambiance GU10 a 4 for conservatory and 4 for the kitchen. Stupidly enough, didn’t know that recess lights come in varieties other than GU10 - the kitchen lights have two thin pins each (MR16).

What is the best solution here? An electrician to change fitting to GU10? An adapter (without losing functionality)? Another smart brand that is compatible?
    You can swap the fittings to gu10 yourself, no more difficult than wiring a plug.

Alkers wrote: »
    You can swap the fittings to gu10 yourself, no more difficult than wiring a plug.

Thanks will look up a tutorial.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Thanks will look up a tutorial.

You will need to remove the transformer if fitted as LV bulbs will have one at each light.....

For the hue lamps you will need to get the 230v supply and make a new connection there for your GU10 tail ...

• Advertisement

You will need to remove the transformer if fitted as LV bulbs will have one at each light.....

For the hue lamps you will need to get the 230v supply and make a new connection there for your GU10 tail ...

This looks to cover it?

https://youtu.be/RlZvrCR7cZE

This looks to cover it?

https://youtu.be/RlZvrCR7cZE

Yeah that's basically it, just be careful pulling down the fitting as the springs can pull down chunks of the ceiling plasterboard with it, just in case you haven't removed these before, slowly and try and keep springs pushed away from plaster as best you can....

Yeah that's basically it, just be careful pulling down the fitting as the springs can pull down chunks of the ceiling plasterboard with it, just in case you haven't removed these before, slowly and try and keep springs pushed away from plaster as best you can....

Yeah just moved in and figuring things out. Thanks. What’s the best place to buy the new quality fittings? Very new to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Looking at adding to Hue collection

Would hue gu 10 fit into below fitting

https://ibb.co/Vwygkvt

Have not taken out bulb to check but we've just moved into house and plenty of these bulbs around the house.

Have hue bulbs around house but no gu10 so looking at replacing them

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Have not taken out bulb to check but we've just moved into house and plenty of these bulbs around the house.

They look like GU10 LED's. I say that because I had the exact same bulbs.

The new Hue GU10 colour bulbs are the same size as the Hue GU10 White Ambiance & White Only bulbs (as in the same size as regular non Hue GU10 bulbs).
    510941.png

The old Hue GU10 colour bulbs were much larger and only fit into certain fitting types.
    510942.png

So if going for colour, you'd be better off getting the newer 'smaller' version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Have hue bulbs around house but no gu10 so looking at replacing them
    have same ones in my kitchen, wont fit even the 3rd gen gu10 would be to long/large in width to held them properly in place as they would stick out, and that metal ring ensures extra tight grip to hold them in place as it goes quite few mm above to snap into holes.

you would want to get these fittings or simililar: https://www.amazon.co.uk/LED-Downlight-Fitting-Recessed-Bathroom/dp/B075MGN7RT/ref=sr_1_32?crid=I84UKCLGSVVS&dchild=1&keywords=gu10+light+fitting&qid=1587898989&sprefix=gu10+light+fi%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-32

but you still need to remove current fitting to see how much clearance you have above ceiling and then find right size as they come in couple different heights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

scamalert wrote: »
    have same ones in my kitchen, wont fit even the 3rd gen gu10 would be to long/large in width to held them properly in place as they would stick out, and that metal ring ensures extra tight grip to hold them in place as it goes quite few mm above to snap into holes.

you would want to get these fittings or simililar: https://www.amazon.co.uk/LED-Downlight-Fitting-Recessed-Bathroom/dp/B075MGN7RT/ref=sr_1_32?crid=I84UKCLGSVVS&dchild=1&keywords=gu10+light+fitting&qid=1587898989&sprefix=gu10+light+fi%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-32

but you still need to remove current fitting to see how much clearance you have above ceiling and then find right size as they come in couple different heights.

Damn might leave it expensive enough to buy bulb as well as buying another part to fit them in

Damn might leave it expensive enough to buy bulb as well as buying another part to fit them in
    yes its a bit of investment depending how many you need but locally you can find those for around 10-15e/unit, once places open up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

We had a dozen bulbs with the same type of clip as that and they were GU4/MR11 rather than GU10.
    The difference is that they have two pointed pins on the end rather than flattened plugs.
    The biggest difference is that they ran off a 12V transformer in the attic,
    so not compatible without rewiring.

Pinch the two ends of the wire clip together and the bulb will come out into your hand on a short tail of wire if it's the same setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Not having much luck with hue lights. Looks like my floodlight has died. Unreachable on the app, another bulb about 2 meters away. Power on and off from the main switch and no movement on it. Not ideal from a €150 fitting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Any ideas on this lads?

I got an email saying my Hue hub had been disconnected from my account and it hasnt worked since. All its status lights are on, its appearing on my home network, but no apps will connect to it or see it when I try a factory reset. I can also see the hub on meethue.com, it says its online
    Ive tried it through the phone, tablet and pc

Any ideas on this lads?

I got an email saying my Hue hub had been disconnected from my account and it hasnt worked since. All its status lights are on, its appearing on my home network, but no apps will connect to it or see it when I try a factory reset. I can also see the hub on meethue.com, it says its online

what way is your home network setup ? any switches etc ? or just default isp router, might be worth a shot plugging into different ethernet slot and doing factory reset on router- as if no devices see it seems like natural way to troubleshoot up the chain.

as dunno what router you might be using but worth a check even at router settings to see if its visible on home network, might give idea if it got toast somehow or smth else triggered for it to disconnect from network somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Not having much luck with hue lights. Looks like my floodlight has died. Unreachable on the app, another bulb about 2 meters away. Power on and off from the main switch and no movement on it. Not ideal from a €150 fitting

Turns out the wiring had come loose, not sure how it was fine for 3 months and then came loose all of a sudden. Was worked in with choc-blocks provided. Wired it back up and the powered on switch, solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I ended up buying a couple of Innr Zigbee

Yep .. they're a good job. And they are 13A rated. If I recall correctly, the Hue equivalent is only rated 300W.

I have similar fittings in the bar. I'd say you be struggling to fit 3rd gen, but 4th gen will fit. Ikea Trådfri will also fit, but can't be got in color, when it's GU10.

Now .. here's the culprit: it's real tight. I was fighting getting the darn things in there.

In the end, I pulled the fitting out (it's just held in there with two spring loaded clips, that tilt, fitted the bulb in the fitting and then pushed the whole shebang back up together.

Otherwise you'll be hours at it getting that metal retention spring to sit tight.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Any ideas on this lads?

Wouldn't be a first generation hub by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mossie

Any ideas on this lads?

I had a problem last night where my app would only connect via the cloud even though I was on the same network as the hub. Resetting the app solved it for me but it's still behaving erratically.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Anyone got Hue outdoors? I'm re-doing the back garden and am sorely tempted, but the price is a hard sell with the wife against more traditional lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

OU812 wrote: »
    Anyone got Hue outdoors? I'm re-doing the back garden and am sorely tempted, but the price is a hard sell with the wife against more traditional lighting.

I do,

They are excellent. I was in the same boat, but I went for hue as I got the base system at a good price.

I have the 3 Lily lights and Two Calla Lamps

I bought the 3 LILY Lights - used like new from Amazon.co.uk for £165

Callas extensions are €83 from Amazon.de

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Philips-Hue-Sockelleuchte-Aussenbereich-kompatibel/dp/B07BXT4NQT/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=philips%2Bhue%2Bcalla&qid=1588753814&sr=8-5&th=1

The Calla Pedestals give the best light.

Photos/videos do not do them justice.

I found this helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS_o-wL4src

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I have 5 Hue Lily spots out the back almost 2 years now, and they are great. They work flawlessly.

Wouldn't be a first generation hub by any chance?
    Second I think, the more square one, says 2.1 on the bottom.

I plugged it directly in to the router and still nothing, no app seems to see it, though the meethue website still sees it online.
    Ill try a factory reset and a 3rd ethernet cable directly plugged in to the router when I can.
    I am missing my ambiance

Second I think, the more square one, says 2.1 on the bottom.

I plugged it directly in to the router and still nothing, no app seems to see it, though the meethue website still sees it online.
    Ill try a factory reset and a 3rd ethernet cable directly plugged in to the router when I can.
    I am missing my ambiance

2.1 is the newest, so no problems there.

Also, if the meethue website says, it's online, then your cable should be ok. What lights are lit ?

Might just be the matter of resetting the app and then pairing it back up with the hub.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    2.1 is the newest, so no problems there.

Also, if the meethue website says, it's online, then your cable should be ok. What lights are lit ?

Might just be the matter of resetting the app and then pairing it back up with the hub.

/M

All 3 lights are on, so it looks business as usual from the outside. Ill try resetting all the apps first anyways, will do no harm

After deleting the apps, a quick appeasement to the Machine Spirit and reinstalling on just one device all seems to be working again.
    Cheers for the help lads.

Buy ordinary fittings that take the led lamps... Much cheaper.

• Advertisement

Buy ordinary fittings that take the led lamps... Much cheaper.

Nowhere near the same lumen though.

The Lily is 600 lumen focused in one direction.
    The Lily XL is 1050 lumen focused in one direction.

The only thing you can compare it to is the GU10 smart bulb and that's only 350 lumen. So you need 2 lamps and 2 bulbs to achieve the same light as a Lily. And you need 3 of each to achieve the same light as a Lily XL.

Also: Life time of a Lily and Lily XL is 25000 hours. Life time of a GU10 Hue is 15000 hours.

Your penny pinching is going to cost you on the other end for more hassle and still going to cost you the same over the life-time of the bulb or lamp. The bulb may even die earlier, because it's not designed for outdoor.

/M

Advertisement