Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

For the last two weeks our so any light that is on at around sunset changes colour/brightness of its own accord. Any ideas how to fix it? Or why it started all of a sudden?

Was there an update?
    Is the settings set to Ireland or the UK time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Was there an update? Is the settings set to Ireland or the UK time?

Not sure if there was an update but it's quiet possible
    Set to London

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

I have a hue outdoor light. It's very good but I find sometimes the brightness is reduced when I turn it on. I have to up it to 100% which is where I want it to stay. What is possibly going on here? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Yep no more V1 hub support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

can anyone help have Philips go light, it used to work fine when disconnected from power supply and work for hour or so on full brigthness, tried to use it unpluged the other day and it just dies off within a second :confused: have had it plugged in almost 3 months mostly and used to work fine, wonder maybe i knocked something inside of it as had kicked/drop couple times slightly- just the way it sits etc, or could it be that internal battery is just toast :cool: as works fine when connected to power supply.

scamalert wrote: »
    can anyone help have Philips go light, it used to work fine when disconnected from power supply and work for hour or so on full brigthness, tried to use it unpluged the other day and it just dies off within a second :confused: have had it plugged in almost 3 months mostly and used to work fine, wonder maybe i knocked something inside of it as had kicked/drop couple times slightly- just the way it sits etc, or could it be that internal battery is just toast :cool: as works fine when connected to power supply.

Battery could well have burnt out...

Battery could well have burnt out...
    my same thought, if that's the case then its pretty crap design, as imagine most would keep them plugged in and occasional usage without power cord- so theoretically design wise it shouldn;t be on charge when on full capacity to drain battery.

edit:

anyhow its only over few months old so sent out details serial number and issue to support will see if theres anything to be done, not really using it much wireless but then again money paid wasn't for it to be table lamp either :/

anyhow has anyone dealt successfully with Philips regarding warranty ?, as above seems my go light's battery is toast, i filled ticket with serial number model, but ive no receipt bought in argos before xmas was a gift for myself and had someone pick it up, quite far from where i live, support was asking for proof of purchase, figured the serial number and model would suffice as got original box and warranty booklet. wouldnt go asking person who bought it to dig out statement which may or may not have item listed on it directly.

as ive 2 houses nearly with 100 hue lights switches etc, and would expected some better response, since if it was case buying online or of amazon it would be no issue, as dealt with sony logitech companies in the past and they would have top notch service regarding any faults once you give them serial number and model, to solve you out asap. as ive contacted irish support but now thinking maybe should of gone uk or .com way to get it higher up tier service.

As battery toast isnt major issue as long as it works fine, but i really would be disappointing to know if Philips take it so low under priority, down the road, as it cost me nearly 90 quid and aside asked to provide proof dunno what steps should i take.

anyhow has anyone dealt successfully with Philips regarding warranty ?, as above seems my go light's battery is toast, i filled ticket with serial number model, but ive no receipt bought in argos before xmas was a gift for myself and had someone pick it up, quite far from where i live, support was asking for proof of purchase, figured the serial number and model would suffice as got original box and warranty booklet. wouldnt go asking person who bought it to dig out statement which may or may not have item listed on it directly.

as ive 2 houses nearly with 100 hue lights switches etc, and would expected some better response, since if it was case buying online or of amazon it would be no issue, as dealt with sony logitech companies in the past and they would have top notch service regarding any faults once you give them serial number and model, to solve you out asap. as ive contacted irish support but now thinking maybe should of gone uk or .com way to get it higher up tier service.

As battery toast isnt major issue as long as it works fine, but i really would be disappointing to know if Philips take it so low under priority, down the road, as it cost me nearly 90 quid and aside asked to provide proof dunno what steps should i take.

Bring it back to where it was bought as it's still under warranty.

You could ask if the purchaser wouldn't mind getting it off their card statement or if they still had the receipt.

Argos I found great with any issues.

• Advertisement

Bring it back to where it was bought as it's still under warranty.

You could ask if the purchaser wouldn't mind getting it off their card statement or if they still had the receipt.

Argos I found great with any issues.
    yeah 70km away from me aint fun, managed to get statement but it just says argos purchase :/ price was 89quid, checked my local argos and they dont have in stock, prob never did, as thats the reason why it was bought so far out, will see if support can chip in, or if that fails might chance it going to argos getting refund, if wasnt busy would drive it up to place of purchase but to much stuff going on atm, and dont wanna hassle person that bought it to bring it back.

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6225906/Trail/searchtext%3EPHILIPS+GO.htm as still see its on sale and basically same original price.

update: been almost good week since filled ticket and been jerked off completely, as said managed to get statement and it just says argos purchase- so useless, posted pics of box serial numbers on light etc, and even thou leaflet inside states 2yrs warranty no support given to solve it, worst case might get person to bring it back to original store but after 4months and no receipt doubt anything will be achieved, if philips cant track and trace their own devices based on serial number model, think ill try to avoid them from now on, to much money spent, just to see that they dont care, as posted on reddit and sure enough 4 people replied having same issues eventually not even within couple months :cool:

last jerk off was support claims there should be warranty sticker under the swtich on button - never seen it, can anyone who has one confirm as seems a bit BS, as watching many reviews never noticed one.

update: been almost good week since filled ticket and been jerked off completely, as said managed to get statement and it just says argos purchase- so useless, posted pics of box serial numbers on light etc, and even thou leaflet inside states 2yrs warranty no support given to solve it, worst case might get person to bring it back to original store but after 4months and no receipt doubt anything will be achieved, if philips cant track and trace their own devices based on serial number model, think ill try to avoid them from now on, to much money spent, just to see that they dont care, as posted on reddit and sure enough 4 people replied having same issues eventually not even within couple months :cool:

last jerk off was support claims there should be warranty sticker under the swtich on button - never seen it, can anyone who has one confirm as seems a bit BS, as watching many reviews never noticed one.

Exhaust the gifter route 1st then if that was cash say and no receipt contact Argos and state the case.

Exhaust the gifter route 1st then if that was cash say and no receipt contact Argos and state the case.
    well might need to ask person who bought it to try and chance it bringing back, not sure on argos terms but think could be hard luck given its been 4 months, that said prob more chance then with support which seems not interested in any help whatsoever, i get no receipt part but still would be their product and inspecting wouldn't be hard, but few replied that in most cases either if spotted early just return back, as they wont engage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Is there any way to use a hue dimmer switch to turn on/off a tp link smart plug? I have a lamp with a weird bulb, I'd like to be able to turn it in/off with a smart switch that already controls hue bulbs in the room.

Is there any way to use a hue dimmer switch to turn on/off a tp link smart plug? I have a lamp with a weird bulb, I'd like to be able to turn it in/off with a smart switch that already controls hue bulbs in the room.
    unless someone made hybrid app to accommodate kasa into philips bridge id say no, i use personally alexa to switch all lights on plug and hue ones, but do know frustration to have it switched off separately is annoying. simplest solution would be to get a bulb thats compatible and it would be properly sorted- and would eliminate need for plug.

Home assistant can do this, it's a black canvas. I have my zoneminder camera motion detection sensors triggering outside hue lights, hue motion sensors sending notifications if there's movement when nobody is at home and sitting room lights dimming when I play a movie on Emby on my Shield

A Google home can do what you want though, just tell it to turn off all sitting room devices

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭irelandrover

You could use the hue smart plug

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Came across this on reddit, developer offering the app from free for the week due to covid-19.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tradfrilux.huemelodi&hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Anyone experience non responsive app recently

Happening few times this week. Can't turn off the lights using the app nor via Alexa skill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭davegilly

Anyone using Ikea bulbs with their Hue? I have a mixture of both Hue and Ikea. All work fine and control properly. However every few weeks the Ikea bulbs stop working - sometimes all together other times just one or two. All I have to to is unplug the bulb and put it back in and everything works fine again.

This is fine for me, I know what to do and it only takes a second. Unfortunately it's not fine for herself who gets annoyed every time this happens. Any ideas what is the problem here? My two simplest options are to a) get a divorce or b) replace the bulbs with hue. I will probably do b over a bit of tie as I have quite a lot of bulbs so it's an expensive switch.

Is there anything else I can do to fix or eliminate this completely in the meantime? Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I dont have the ikea bulbs myself but reading from people on forums that have them there are a lot more connectivity issues when using them with Hue.
    Most people end up replacing them with hue bulbs eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

I have 21 ikea GU10's in the house, and a few other odd ones in lamps, and other than having some pairing issues with the older ones initially into the Hue hub, they work a treat. NEVER had an issue with any of them. Operationally and reliability I have found zero difference between them and Hue units.

The always turn on/off via google, Hue routines work fine with them - though Hue routines always cause me issue when i update / change one, (the changes dont always 'take').

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok having issues with the Hue

Previous house no issues and Hub was beside the router

Now Hub beside issue and bulbs are unreachable

Rebooted the hub router and re installed app. Also try changing channel in Zigbee then some lights reachable and others not and then on other channels all lights unreachable?

I cannot turn lights on or off via the app and sometimes light switches on wall not working.

I have 4 channels and some work on one and others dont?

Any other tips as not sure what is wrong and I dont want to clean data?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hi all,
    Only recently got into the Home Automation and have bought a few bits and pieces for the apatment

- 3 Philips Hue Lights
    - 2 Amazon Smart Plugs
    - 2 Echo Dot
    - 1 Echo 5

I've also just purchased a Ring Home Security 10 piece package.

Just a question about the Hue lights. The ones we currently have, at their brightest, are quite a yellow colour. All the light fittings are either the build with two pins (not screws) except in the conservatory and kitchen and these are recess lighting.

What Hue line is best to give a nice bright light?

Also, I don't think I'll be getting any coloured bulbs but may something to give a little accent. Any recommendation on the best bulbs in that situation?

Thanks all!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

What Hue lights did you get?

White - only warm white
    While Ambiance - warm to cold whites
    White & Colour Ambiance - warm/cold whites as well as all colours.

Did you also get a Hue Hub?

The bulb type you refer to (2 pins) are called Bayonet or B22 (22 being the diameter in mm), the other type are called Edison Screw (E14/E27)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

What Hue lights did you get?

White - only warm white
    While Ambiance - warm to cold whites
    White & Colour Ambiance - warm/cold whites as well as all colours.

Did you also get a Hue Hub?

The bulb type you refer to (2 pins) are called Bayonet or B22 (22 being the diameter in mm), the other type are called Edison Screw (E14/E27)

Yes, they are all Bayonet B22 so. We have the Hue hub. The bulbs we have are "White Lamp"

Mr.S wrote: »
    How do you set this up?

It's not actually that easy, a good knowledge is needed but there are plenty of guides and a community of people willing to help. You can start off with Hassio a Raspberry pi and progress to full home assistant when you get the hang of things. Home assistant uses a language called yaml. I started knowing nothing but now have my whole house automated and only buy and setup stuff that integrates with home assistant.

https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/
    https://www.home-assistant.io/
    https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2017/07/25/introducing-hassio/
    https://g.co/kgs/Snswr5

For the light dimming I have Emby players added as entities and have an automation that saves the current state of the sitting room lights as a scene and then changes to a dimmed scene when the Emby player state changes to playing. Then another automation that restores the saved scene when paused or stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Quick question can Hue lightstrips be wired onto existing line of GU10 downlights so they are on on the same lightswitch rather than taking up a plug socket?

• Advertisement

londonred wrote: »
    Quick question can Hue lightstrips be wired onto existing line of GU10 downlights so they are on on the same lightswitch rather than taking up a plug socket?

No. Needs transformer which the plug is.

Advertisement