Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to get rid of USC, Property tax

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The sum of all personal taxes, income tax, prsi and usc is very high. 50%+ and comes in at a very low income. Both are amongst the worst in the world.

Let's check the data.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/documents/statistics/income-distributors/income-tax-calculation.pdf

2016 gross income = 94,565m

tax due = 15.13%

So now we know that the average effective income tax rate in Ireland is 15.13%

Shai wrote: »
    Sorry, those figures surprise me. Would you mind putting some more context on those? How are earners paying 0% income tax? How are your parents paying 10%?

Let's check the data:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/documents/statistics/income-distributors/income-earners-tax.pdf

2016 income tax

2.4m income tax units

875,000 exempt from income tax

Over 35% of earners pay no income tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Shai

Geuze wrote: »
    Let's check the data:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/documents/statistics/income-distributors/income-earners-tax.pdf

2016 income tax

2.4m income tax units

875,000 exempt from income tax

Over 35% of earners pay no income tax.

I am by no means disagreeing with you, I was merely hoping you might know how this came to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Tell you what I'd like to see.. The rebalancing of tax so that those unmarried or single aren't unfairly penalised for it in terms of the amounts they pay and the benefits they don't get.

Also ridiculous that buying a decent property now requires 2 full time incomes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Great idea. Let's get rid of the one positive legacy the **** bags in Fine Gael have: the broadening of the tax base.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wibbs wrote: »
    The "well you can always move house/downsize" is a silly argument that has little practical use unless you're actively looking to buy and where you buy isn't based on where your job/extended family/schools for your kids etc are.
    Also if you do move you are have to pay auctioneers fees , and stamp duty and possibly capital gains tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

troyzer wrote: »
    Great idea. Let's get rid of the one positive legacy the **** bags in Fine Gael have: the broadening of the tax base.

To be fair, they've since taken so many back out of it again or reduced the rates that they effectively have narrowed it again

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

To be fair, they've since taken so many back out of it again or reduced the rates that they effectively have narrowed it again

I agree. I'm a lefty and I think backing down on water charges was ultimately stupid. They're going to back down on property taxes as well and they've made no secret of the fact that they want to cut USC.

So they've ruined their own legacy.

Tell you what I'd like to see.. The rebalancing of tax so that those unmarried or single aren't unfairly penalised for it in terms of the amounts they pay and the benefits they don't get.

Are they? I thought there was only an income tax difference when only one person in a marriage works? I thought that when both people in a marriage were working each of them was pretty much taxed the same way as an unmarried person?

Are they? I thought there was only an income tax difference when only one person in a marriage works? I thought that when both people in a marriage were working each of them was pretty much taxed the same way as an unmarried person?

Not quite. It's not just if only one person works, it's when one person makes a fair bit more money than the other.

• Advertisement

I just looked up the details. You are indeed quite correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

People shouldn’t inherit anything. Work for your own wealth in an one generation.

The real price for food is the market price. If the Irish farmers can’t compete let’s them rot. If they can’t manage steak at the price people want, import it.

Absolutely. When farmers here are subject to the same welfare and traceability standards as the countries we import from, like Brazil, where foot and mouth is endemic for example or the USA where they use growth hormones banned in the EU and GM crops.

I am by no means disagreeing with you, I was merely hoping you might know how this came to be.

You can earn a lot in Ireland before you enter the tax net.

It used to be 20k, now 16,500, still higher than many countries.

It's 18k/36k for people aged over 65.

We have a very progressive income tax system.

Very low direct taxes on low earners, but then it rises fast.

Indeed, we have the most progressive income tax system in the OECD.

Not quite. It's not just if only one person works, it's when one person makes a fair bit more money than the other.

Well it’s not that either, one making a fair bit more than the other makes no difference if both are in the higher tax bracket. If both of a couple are earning the fairly small amount that is required to pay the higher rate of tax then there is no advantage over a single person. If one doesn’t work or earns below the higher rate of tax and the other pays the higher Rae of tax there are some advantages and rightly so as a married couple are treated as a single unit for tax purposes (if you choose to be taxed in this way).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

People shouldn’t inherit anything. Work for your own wealth in an one generation.

I don't think this is going to fly comradski.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Reduce the USC

Increase property taxes on larger and less energy efficient houses
    Especially in wealthier areas

We should be encouraging people to build smaller houses with better energy performance

People will also stop spending daft amounts of money on houses they really cannot afford

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Reduce the USC

Increase property taxes on larger and less energy efficient houses
    Especially in wealthier areas

We should be encouraging people to build smaller houses with better energy performance

People will also stop spending daft amounts of money on houses they really cannot afford

Live in a small house? No thanks, they are a waste of space compared to a bigger far more fictional house with all the space and rooms you want.

Advertisement