Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Sexton has said he wants to make it until the 2021 Lions tour. I don't doubt that he will either. He has the drive to do it and he's still by far the best 10 we have. He seems to be getting better with age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Clegg wrote: »
    Sexton has said he wants to make it until the 2021 Lions tour. I don't doubt that he will either. He has the drive to do it and he's still by far the best 10 we have. He seems to be getting better with age.

Sexton has that target in his head a long time now and he will make it, come hell or high water :p

Will he be starting 10 for Ireland? Maybe not if Farrell wants to go into a 4 year cycle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

He'll be just on 35 then. Can't see him making it. Especially with the punishment he takes. Likely that Carbery will be our 10 heading with the lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

2 1/2 years is a long time.

From an Irish POV I hope Sexton isn't first choice by the end of the 2020/21 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

I don't think it's a good decision by Sexton to try and extend his contract to make the Lions.

He'll be very lucky to get there intact and he might not even be selected.

By 2021 I expect Farrell and Carbery to be duking it out as best flyhalves in the world. Sexton might be doing well to get Leinster game time by that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Sexton has that target in his head a long time now and he will make it, come hell or high water :p

Will he be starting 10 for Ireland? Maybe not if Farrell wants to go into a 4 year cycle

I don't think there will be massive changes come the 2020 6Ns. It will be the June tour in 2020 and then the 2020 Autumn games where we might see a bit of change.

There is a fair chance Carbery will be starting 10 by the time the 2021 6Ns comes round.

bilston wrote: »
    Shefwedfan wrote: »

I don't think there will be massive changes come the 2020 6Ns. It will be the June tour in 2020 and then the 2020 Autumn games where we might see a bit of change.

There is a fair chance Carbery will be starting 10 by the time the 2021 6Ns comes round.

Carbery will definitely by the starting 10.

I can see 2020 being the year where Farrell wants to win early and lay down his own mark. He needs Sexton do that. But behind the scenes the wheels will be in motion to get Carbery more and more game time. It'll probably be like ROG and Sexton near the end.

Or hopefully, more like Carter and Barrett.

It's hard to know what players are going to leave after Japan because like I said, Farrell will be so keen to keep the winning ways. He'll twist a lot of arms to get another year out of players so he can keep the band together.

But guys I expect to be gone by the end of Japan would be Best, Kearney and O'Brien as said already. Healy's contract is up at the end of the world cup but I can see him potentially staying.

Toner will leave after his contract expires in June 2020. Earls has a contract until 2021 but I reckon he'll retire early. I think Lowe/Stockdale will be the future partnership and Earls will be pushed out. He'll choose retirement over irrelevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

troyzer wrote: »
    Toner will leave after his contract expires in June 2020. Earls has a contract until 2021 but I reckon he'll retire early. I think Lowe/Stockdale will be the future partnership and Earls will be pushed out. He'll choose retirement over irrelevance.

So you think these guys would tear up a 400-500K a year contract because they might feel irrelevant? :D

Either they will be included in international squads or they won't be. Neither would be irrelevant for their province.

jm08 wrote: »

So you think these guys would tear up a 400-500K a year contract because they might feel irrelevant? :D

Either they will be included in international squads or they won't be. Neither would be irrelevant for their province.

Lots of players hang up their boots when they can't get a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

There’s no reason to think Toner and Earls will be finished in 2020. Earls in fairness by then may be losing his pace but I’d say he’ll still have a bit to give but Toner could still do a full WC cycle after this. Not suggesting he’ll definitely keep his place but he could still be around and a viable option in 4 years time. 2nd rows tend to have decent longevity.

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    There’s no reason to think Toner and Earls will be finished in 2020. Earls in fairness by then may be losing his pace but I’d say he’ll still have a bit to give but Toner could still do a full WC cycle after this. Not suggesting he’ll definitely keep his place but he could still be around and a viable option in 4 years time. 2nd rows tend to have decent longevity.

Yeah but he's not exactly 100% cemented as the starting second row. If James Ryan becomes a world class lineout operator do you really think he's going to be started ahead of Henderson or Beirne?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

2020 is next year. There won't be sweeping changes just for the sake of it.

Someone like Earls or Toner isn't going to just be dumped.

Lots of players hang up their boots when they can't get a game.

Like who? Both Peter Stringer and Donnacha O'Callaghan went elsewhere for games when they couldn't get them in Ireland.

Yeah but he's not exactly 100% cemented as the starting second row. If James Ryan becomes a world class lineout operator do you really think he's going to be started ahead of Henderson or Beirne?

Neither of those two players are at the same club as Toner. I really don't think Dev is the type to throw a strop if he isn't getting international game time. Leinster will need him when James Ryan is calling the lineout for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

No and I made that clear in my post. He could still be a quality option. As we can see right now it doesn’t take much for us to be looking down the depth chart. Toner has a few more years in him I don’t get why you think he’ll finish up in just over a years time. He’s playing great and has a decent injury record.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Lads!! Hold onto yer horses!! Let's have a gander at Carty before anointing Joey as the heir.
    Carty has been the best oh these past few months. I think he's worth a look.
    Ross Byrne is also in the mix. Farrell may opt for a Sexton type player. Byrne could step in and we wouldn't lose cohesion.
    Anyway, Harry Byrne is looking superb atm. He could stake a claim also in 4 yrs time.
    Frawley has potential and has shown some good form and then there's Lowry and Johnson.
    Joey may well be in pole position, but there's lads right up his arse.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Lads!! Hold onto yer horses!! Let's have a gander at Carty before anointing Joey as the heir.
    Carty has been the best oh these past few months. I think he's worth a look.
    Ross Byrne is also in the mix. Farrell may opt for a Sexton type player. Byrne could step in and we wouldn't lose cohesion.
    Anyway, Harry Byrne is looking superb atm. He could stake a claim also in 4 yrs time.
    Frawley has potential and has shown some good form and then there's Lowry and Johnson.
    Joey may well be in pole position, but there's lads right up his arse.

I can't see it to be honest. The next step in Ireland's evolution towards the All Greens is to exploit the outrageous skill of the young backs coming through. As it stands, they are comically underused.

If we could marry our current system which makes our forwards excellent with a backline which includes a red hot Carbery, Larmour, Ringrose, Stockdale etc. then we'd be unbeatable.

Imagine those backs playing Fijian style heads up rugby. They definitely have the skills and when Carbery bursts onto the scene in two or three years as the definitive 10, I think Irish rugby will go up another level.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

I think Beirne is a better backrow player than Roux but Roux is a better second row. Beirne would be the perfect replacement for Peter O Mahony in the 6 jersey with his poaching and lineout option. At the moment he isn't big enough to have the presence around the breakdown Roux had at the weekend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Earls has a contract until 2021 but I reckon he'll retire early. I think Lowe/Stockdale will be the future partnership and Earls will be pushed out. He'll choose retirement over irrelevance.

Where's this suggestion coming from that Earls will retire early? Even if he isn't picked for Ireland, he'll likely still be plenty good enough for Munster. You think he'll retire as soon as he's not picked for Ireland??

aloooof wrote: »
    Where's this suggestion coming from that Earls will retire early? Even if he isn't picked for Ireland, he'll likely still be plenty good enough for Munster. You think he'll retire as soon as he's not picked for Ireland??

Quite a few wingers in recent years like Bowe and Trimble retired even though they were healthy and still playing well for their province.

Although I just checked and I didn't know they were out of contract which does make a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Stone Gossard

Earls is as fit as a fiddle these days... he'll be 33 at his next contract discussion...a shoe in for a Munster contract if not offered a CC.
    The only thing that may sway him is like POC and Ryan he may want to try abroad for his last payday

Quite a few wingers in recent years like Bowe and Trimble retired even though they were healthy and still playing well for their province.

Although I just checked and I didn't know they were out of contract which does make a difference.

It makes a difference in that it's the exact opposite of what you were saying i.e. retiring early implies mid-contract.

It makes a difference in that it's the exact opposite of what you were saying i.e. retiring early implies mid-contract.

I thought they had retired mid contract. Hands up on that one.

Either way, I can see Lowe pushing Earls out so he's effectively retired when it comes to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

leakyboots wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone else is noticing this or I'm wrong... but there seems to be an amount of wonky lineouts not getting called for not being straight... maybe it's the camera angles messing with me but that's what I seem to be seeing anyways

There were a few in Murrayfield but I put it down to Poite accounting for the weather and the fact when they were squint Ireland never challenged. Annoyingly its per ref Ireland were pinged vs England even though they won uncontested.

My biggest pet peeve along with what has already been mentioned is the "open gate" applied to offences post penalty. As soon as the ref indicates advantage watch the defending them just go mad throwing themselves in everywhere being blatantly offside, hands in the ruck etc.
    I've only ever seen it officiated properly and that was in one Pro 14 game where the ref gave a yellow saying the player had 2 different offences and the team had 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Stone Gossard

Either way, I can see Lowe pushing Earls out so he's effectively retired when it comes to Ireland.

For the 2023 world cup, most likely

Fair enough, but I don't see why you would use the word 'retired'. It's not likely to be a Joe Marler situation. And he'll still likely be playing for Munster.

Fair enough, but I don't see why you would use the word 'retired'. It's not likely to be a Joe Marler situation. And he'll still likely be playing for Munster.

Well like I said. I thought Bowe and Trimble had already retired under contract. I was looking at their situation and thought Earls might be similar.

But they were out of contract so I was wrong to see that as a precedent.

Highly unlike the IRFU to give a central contract to Earls to 2021 a few months ago if they think Lowe is going to replace him next year!

By the way, Lowe has played his entire career up to now on the left wing - not even one game on the right, so Lowe is going to have to shift Stockdale not Earls to get an international look in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Dubinusa wrote: »

Here's this notion again the Byrne is a 'Sexton type player' that gets thrown around on here which I've never really got.

Johnny plays very flat, attacks the gain line, makes half breaks....all things that Byrne well doesn't really do at all.

Maybe I'm missing sonething

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Wasn't Bowe constantly getting injured and Trimble running as if a gale force wind was blowing directly against him?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement