Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Remind me wrote: »
    WTF?

So both the money and title mean nothing to them?

You say it’s about who take the biggest cheque but in the same post that money doesn’t count.

Well the event - makes literally no difference to Rory.

Zero.

People will go on here as if it is the end of his career. Just watch..

Zero.

Have you heard of a competitive instinct? If Rory had no ambition, he wouldn't be out there week after week.

The end of his career is nigh indeed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Zero.

Why are 9 of the worlds top 10 playing?

Have you heard of a competitive instinct? If Rory had no ambition, he wouldn't be out there week after week.

The end of his career is nigh indeed :rolleyes:

He has ambition - big ambition , and it is clear he has it this year. But the true competitive edge comes in majors. The top guys , have a completely different edge that week - they peak for them. They focus on them.

You can :rolleyes: all you like. But just watch thread over next few days. People will go on as if Rory will never win a major. Complete and utter nonsense.

I'll say it again - these events are like the league cup for these guys. Sky just listed lads who just took week off. Yes you are right , there are top guys who didn't even bother.

It is a problem with golf - we all still love watching golf. But that competitive edge is gone IMO. It is gone a little bit like the way soccer went. We are all on daft money, who cares. Majors a different story.

He has ambition - big ambition , and it is clear he has it this year. But the true competitive edge comes in majors. The top guys , have a completely different edge that week - they peak for them. They focus on them.

You can :rolleyes: all you like. But just watch thread over next few days. People will go on as if Rory will never win a major. Complete and utter nonsense.

I'll say it again - these events are like the league cup for these guys. Sky just listed lads who just took week off. Yes you are right , there are top guys who didn't even bother.

It is a problem with golf - we all still love watching golf. But that competitive edge is gone IMO. It is gone a little bit like the way soccer went. We are all on daft money, who cares. Majors a different story.

You are making no sense. 9 of the top 10 played this week.

If they didn’t care about these events why don’t a few of them pitch up weekly at the bears club and have a game for a few hundred thousand and save all the travel and hotels and just rock up for the majors?

You think the 68 or 69 wins tiger has outside majors mean zero to him?

• Advertisement

Why are 9 of the worlds top 10 playing?

Obviously , the higher the purse, the handier the cheque.

Then - so many of the top guys go due to whatever expectation is their from their sponsors. Club provider, ball, equipment, pro am, location, schedule.

But if you finish 2nd or 3rd this week - so what. You could pick up a win at some other point.

Now for Rory. Him finishing 1st or 8th - a fun week versus who cares. A fraction of his other incomes.

It has to make a difference to that edge. I'm watching golf a long time. Definelty that edge gone.

In fact the only good weeks are a breakthrough or first time winner. When the top 9 of the top 10 (as you say) are there , this factor is more magnified.

The lesser events can have better stories.

Yes we like watching the top players. But will Scott be emotional winning here ? would Rory be - not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

All wins count, just some wins count more than others. And us golf fans enjoy watching some tournaments more than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Yes I still like to watch good golf.

But - just the way modern golf is.

Top 50 are just so loaded. Has lost an edge. (IMO)

Couldn't be further from the truth. Go read Kimmage and Mcilory. Hes got 250 million in the bank. Go read how much losing hurts him.

It's the same with all these players. Their mindset after 20 years of trying to get to the top just stop with a pay cheque.

You are making no sense. 9 of the top 10 played this week.

If they didn’t care about these events why don’t a few of them pitch up weekly at the bears club and have a game for a few hundred thousand and save all the travel and hotels and just rock up for the majors?

You think the 68 or 69 wins tiger has outside majors mean zero to him?

I've explained that in next post. But we all know Tiger is a completely different creature. He needed to win for different reasons. There is not one person even in the same league out there now. Who has this competitive edge we are talking about out there now ?

Only one who could get near it is Rory - and for years he hasn't

In fact he exemplifies how these guys are going through the motions here.

Couldn't be further from the truth. Go read Kimmage and Mcilory. Hes got 250 million in the bank. Go read how much losing hurts him.

It's the same with all these players. Their mindset after 20 years of trying to get to the top just stop with a pay cheque.

Will this hurt Rory as much as a major :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I've explained that in next post. But we all know Tiger is a completely different creature. He needed to win for different reasons. There is not one person even in the same league out there now. Who has this competitive edge we are talking about out there now ?

I think you need to stop digging

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Not to be today. That triple really took the wind out of him. Played well after that but didn’t make the putts when he gave himself plenty of chances. Still more positive signs for the year ahead.

Finished 2nd in Mexico last year so I’d expect another high finish.

I see Fix is talking nonsense once again. Not for the first time.

Needs Must wrote: »
    All wins count, just some wins count more than others. And us golf fans enjoy watching some tournaments more than others.

This is spot on.

Sky commentator going on about pressure. Load of bull.

Obviously , the higher the purse, the handier the cheque.

Then - so many of the top guys go due to whatever expectation is their from their sponsors. Club provider, ball, equipment, pro am, location, schedule.

But if you finish 2nd or 3rd this week - so what. You could pick up a win at some other point.

Now for Rory. Him finishing 1st or 8th - a fun week versus who cares. A fraction of his other incomes.

It has to make a difference to that edge. I'm watching golf a long time. Definelty that edge gone.

In fact the only good weeks are a breakthrough or first time winner. When the top 9 of the top 10 (as you say) are there , this factor is more magnified.

The lesser events can have better stories.

Yes we like watching the top players. But will Scott be emotional winning here ? would Rory be - not a chance.

What edge has gone?

Do you really think Rory, Tiger, DJ care less than Faldo, Nicklaus etc...?

Look at GMac winning in Saudi and what it meant to him, major winner, multiple wins, millions in the bank.

Money in all sport has multiplied massively, I actually can’t think of 1 where it hasn’t. I can’t see where it has taken the edge off things.

Plenty of them have his competitive edge, not many have his ability, big difference. Look at Harrington.

Plenty of them have his competitive edge, not many have his ability, big difference. Look at Harrington.

Would have to agree with you on Paddy.

Life changing - look at reaction - up to 55 million , thank god he got over that summit. :P

Would have to agree with you on Paddy.

Life changing - look at reaction - up to 55 million , thank god he got over that summit. :P

So what is your point?

Is someone winning this event for $1,000 dollars in the 60’s a bigger achievement than Scott winning this for a million?

What edge has gone?

Do you really think Rory, Tiger, DJ care less than Faldo, Nicklaus etc...?

Look at GMac winning in Saudi and what it meant to him, major winner, multiple wins, millions in the bank.

Money in all sport has multiplied massively, I actually can’t think of 1 where it hasn’t. I can’t see where it has taken the edge off things.

Yes you need a good story - first time winner , a come back. They make an event. Maybe Tiger or Rory at top.

I've watched so many sports over the years. If you can't see that , There is nothing I can do.

Here is the money list in middle of February.

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/rankings/money-list/

It is incredible.

In the context of that money list - and another event around the corner just as big. It is just another pay day, another week.

It is only at majors for me now - as it is when I see the true players come to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Money list is obscene TBF. I remember a time, not that long ago, that winning over a million in a season was only for the top 2 or 3. Now we have $4m in February.

fullstop wrote: »
    Money list is obscene TBF. I remember a time, not that long ago, that winning over a million in a season was only for the top 2 or 3. Now we have $4m in February.

This is it for me.

The top top game has changed.

Like the premier players at another level. It fundamentally has altered the tour events.

Because they have a world schedule - and only go to the big big ones all together. They then earn so much - they don't even need to go to the big big events all the time.

I only want to watch the events with the top players - but the two tours have more of a hierarchy to them these days - so breakthroughs and all the pros playing in the same event/tour at different levels is less a feature.

That edge of the seat Sunday , with a first time winner up against Scott for a million when it was important , were special days on the tour.

If someone is trying to say , that was competitive, edge of seat, important.
    Then , actaully abusing me because I express that opinion.

I don't see the point in explaining it.

At this point in golf - majors or nothing for me. I think Rory is the same and has been for a while. Koepka certainty is anyway.

Again - nice to watch top golfers play great golf. But it isn't real "pressure" as they talk of on Sky. It isn't that important at the end of the day.

• Advertisement

Yes you need a good story - first time winner , a come back. They make an event. Maybe Tiger or Rory at top.

I've watched so many sports over the years. If you can't see that , There is nothing I can do.

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/rankings/money-list/

It is incredible.

In the context of that money list - and another event around the corner just as big. It is just another pay day, another week.

It is only at majors for me now - as it is when I see the true players come to the top.

Of course a comeback makes an event but you are making no sense.

You have said there is no pressure in that event, such absolute BS.

You have said Scott would bottle it, which he didn’t, buy then say there is no pressure so what is it?

What causes Rory, Kuchar and others to drop away if there is no pressure? They have both faded in majors and regular events, Do they not care in regular events but it’s pressure in majors?

In an earlier post you said it’s not about the money and later you said they only get excited holing a putt for an extra 50-100k.

The money list is obscene but as I previously said show me a global male sport where at the top it is not.

Majors will of course mean more, thats why they are the majors and so much focus is on them.

This is it for me.

The top top game has changed.

Like the premier players at another level. It fundamentally has altered the tour events.

Because they have a world schedule - and only go to the big big ones all together. They then earn so much - they don't even need to go to the big big events all the time.

I only want to watch the events with the top players - but the two tours have more of a hierarchy to them these days - so breakthroughs and all the pros playing in the same event/tour at different levels is less a feature.

That edge of the seat Sunday , with a first time winner up against Scott for a million when it was important , were special days on the tour.

If someone is trying to say , that was competitive, edge of seat, important.
    Then , actaully abusing me because I express that opinion.

I don't see the point in explaining it.

At this point in golf - majors or nothing for me. I think Rory is the same and has been for a while. Koepka certainty is anyway.

Again - nice to watch top golfers play great golf. But it isn't real "pressure" as they talk of on Sky. It isn't that important at the end of the day.

Don’t think anyone is saying that was edge of the seat stuff but it was certainly competitive, there was 15 odd players within a few shots of the lead for a long time and it was very enjoyable during the front 9 when things were chopping and changing.

No one will disagree with you that the majors are the pinnacle. Every sport has its pinnacle and rightly so. I completely disagree with you saying there is no pressure or that they don’t care about regular events.

At this point in golf - majors or nothing for me.

See you in April so, the rest of us who aren't fickle will be following the exploits of Rory in the interim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

theballz wrote: »
    He is the ultimate bottler.

Did tiger bottle it?

Harsh comment. 1 bad hole and he's a bottler?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

It may well be the middle of February, but the season started in September. It's 5 months into it, albeit with the bulk of the big tournaments still to be played.

Don’t think anyone is saying that was edge of the seat stuff but it was certainly competitive, there was 15 odd players within a few shots of the lead for a long time and it was very enjoyable during the front 9 when things were chopping and changing.

No one will disagree with you that the majors are the pinnacle. Every sport has its pinnacle and rightly so. I completely disagree with you saying there is no pressure or that they don’t care about regular events.

I'd have to agree don't care is wrong. And events like this did my head in with Rory in the past - you could see he wasn't trying that hard. At least you could see his effort today.

They are certainly less important for the pros.
    If they are less important for the pros , they are less important to me also.

At least in the past , they were chasing the money. I genuinely believe this is a little less of a factor due to the nature of the top game these days. The number of big cash events are so frequent - you have another go , literally the following week. Their sponsorship deals are also incredible , off course stuff also.

So the way I see it anyway.

ligerdub wrote: »
    It may well be the middle of February, but the season started in September. It's 5 months into it, albeit with the bulk of the big tournaments still to be played.

I get that - but the real big events are heavily weighted towards the middle to season end.

See you in April so, the rest of us who aren't fickle will be following the exploits of Rory in the interim.

No need to be so smart.

I said I like watching the top pros play golf. But I'm not delusional about the importance to their career or how it impacts on majors.

Likes of Koepka would rip Scotts head off in a head to head in a major.
    Didn't even feature there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Interesting article to conclude the series in the Indo yesterday. The bit about the Olympics is hardly endearing to his Irish fans, he doesn’t give a s***te about playing for a country or flag, he is a “citizen of the world” and only wants to play for the experience. But at least he acknowledges that others might not see it the same way as him.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/sport/golf/5104280/rory-mcilroy-flip-flopper-playing-2020-olympics/amp/

By the way, I thought he played very well, I saw a bit of coverage Saturday , not much yesterday. Another final group misfire in most news articles I’ve read this morning, that’s at least 11 times in 2 years that he has been in the final group and failed to get over the line.

Personally I do think he will win another major, he’s number one in the world for God’s sake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

Dav010 wrote: »
    Interesting article to conclude the series in the Indo yesterday. The bit about the Olympics is hardly endearing to his Irish fans, he doesn’t give a s***te about playing for a country or flag, he is a “citizen of the world” and only wants to play for the experience. But at least he acknowledges that others might not see it the same way as him.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/sport/golf/5104280/rory-mcilroy-flip-flopper-playing-2020-olympics/amp/

By the way, I thought he played very well, I saw a bit of coverage Saturday , not much yesterday. Another final group misfire in most news articles I’ve read this morning, that’s at least 11 times in 2 years that he has been in the final group and failed to get over the line.

Personally I do think he will win another major, he’s number one in the world for God’s sake.

Does the nationalist discussion really need to be raised once again?
    It's quite clear viewing his responses down through the years that he either has little interest in the debate or simply does not wish to take a position.

He's likely playing for Ireland at the next Olympics so why the constant need to raise such a potentially inflammatory issue?
    Unsurprising of course by Kimmage -& others- that the need to discuss the personal views of McIlroy supersedes the discussion of golf itself.

In effect, his response gave no additonal insight whatsoever but of course it's the one piece that needs to be raised.

On the golf itself which is of course secondary, I thought he was great all week, one bad mistake on a tough day effectively cost him.
    Played well T2G but putter let him down at times. Good signs for the year to come though.

Delighted for Scott though, called it on this thread yesterday, when he's swinging it well, he's unbelievable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement