Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

Noticed what I think is a change in my charge port since the actuator was replaced.

If I remember correctly, the Ioniq charge port used to operate whereby when you plug in cable, the cable is locked in place 2-3 seconds later regardless of the state of the car (locked/unlocked).

Now since the actuator was replaced i've noticed it won't lock in place until I lock the car. Most likely this change is to reduce the frequency at which the actuator fires, but also reduces instances in which users try pull the cable from a locked port. It's a minor inconvenience to me I feel. I've to lock people in the car to get the port to lock, and unless the handshake has changed, i'll need to lock the car in order to get public charge points to initiate.

Can anyone without the modified charge port actuator replacement confirm the old way the cable locking worked?

There is a physical button to chose between always keep cable locked as much as possible or always keep cable unlocked as much as possible. If always locked you need to hit unlock on remote and plug out quickly or it will relock. In the other mode it will lock when starting to charge (e.g. at midnight if timer set) and unlock whenever charging finishes. )

So hit the dash button to change modes. Its to the right of steering wheel and setting is saved. I have not noticed any change in behaviour over recalls or software updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

Thanks zg3409 seems like I had all wrong

525276.png

mine is on Auto and I assumed that is the normal behaviour and the cable will be locked all time until you unlock the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭obi604

Hi,

For those of you with 2017 ioniqs - how is your battery health in 2020?

I know this depends on your mileage, charging scenario etc.

Are you loosing something like 2% a year of battery health? So maybe hovering around 95% healthy now?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

obi604 wrote: »
    Hi,

Are you loosing something like 2% a year of battery health? So maybe hovering around 95% healthy now?

Nope. Ioniqs are unknown to lose any range until the mileage goes at least over 100k km. I don't think any Ioniq owner on this forum has reported any range loss yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Hi,

Would a 2019 count?

The last time I checked mine, at 50,000km using an OBD & CanIoniq/Torque, the BMS still showed 100% SoH.
    There was no loss of range & it would hit 300km+ on a charge (during lockdown - deserted roads, low average speeds, very mild & dry roads etc, very light right foot).

I'd say the Ioniq will be shown to have one of the most robust batteries ever - they must have poured copious amounts of Cobalt into them :pac:.

8dIRFwy.jpg.

• Advertisement

Oh, forgot.

The cell pairs were all perfectly balanced too, even at 79% SoC - that's usually not the case as most BMS "balance the cells" once fully charged.

Impressive to be honest.

PByr9GE.jpg

OJ1VYX8.jpg

Hyundai went ahead & completely destroyed it with the new 38kWh version :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Doc el brown

Hi,

I sold mine last week. It was 172, it had 93k on the clock and the soh of the battery was 100% for each cell. I didnt notice any drop in range. A great car all in all.

Kramer wrote: »
    Oh, forgot.

The cell pairs were all perfectly balanced too, even at 79% SoC - that's usually not the case as most BMS "balance the cells" once fully charged.

Impressive to be honest.

PByr9GE.jpg

OJ1VYX8.jpg

Thanks all, good to know.

The 28 ioniq battery sounds very good.

What is the story with the 38 Ioniq battery?

Kramer wrote: »
    Oh, forgot.

Impressive to be honest.

PByr9GE.jpg

OJ1VYX8.jpg

yeah, it is either impressive battery technology of bullsh1t reporting from BMS :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Those were my thoughts as well, 3+years old car and still no sign of battery or range degradation.
    Was is the battery situation with them again, 30 with 28 useable, not the biggest buffer.

Are there any reports anywhere e.g. high mileage taxi etc of Classic Ioniq 28 battery degradation?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Now don't get me wrong, mine is Ioniq 28 but not that high mileage (45k Km) considering is 3 years old, I am still getting the same range as brand new. ;)

but it is hard to believe the SOH is still 100% after 3 years... charging wise in the first year was mainly DC fast charging as I have had the Sandyford one handy across the road, though the last 2 years was mainly 7kW slow charge roughly from ~15% to 100% and kept like that until moving again. I know charging to 100% and keeping the battery fully charged for a while is not good but this is one of the faults of Ioniq, not having the software changeable limit for slow charging...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

jeremy_g wrote: »
    Now don't get me wrong, mine is Ioniq 28 but not that high mileage (45k Km) considering is 3 years old, I am still getting the same range as brand new. ;)

but it is hard to believe the SOH is still 100% after 3 years... charging wise in the first year was mainly DC fast charging as I have had the Sandyford one handy across the road, though the last 2 years was mainly 7kW slow charge roughly from ~15% to 100% and kept like that until moving again. I know charging to 100% and keeping the battery fully charged for a while is not good but this is one of the faults of Ioniq, not having the software changeable limit for slow charging...
    100% Display is about 95% of the battery in reality. It doesnt ahve the software because it doesnt need it. Be grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

jeremy_g wrote: »
    but it is hard to believe the SOH is still 100% after 3 years... .

State of health is a bit of a lie. Ioniq starts with more than 100% of 28kWh and it will only drop below 100% if the 30kWh or 29.5kWh battery drops below 28kWh. There was a report from an owner of a 160,000km car in Europe that said it had started to display less than 100%.

Once that happens I would expect it to constantly slowly drop.

All that said even dropping from 110% to 100% in 3 years and 160,000 km is good, and the forced air cooling of the batteries and the newer battery chemistry in the Ioniq mean they should have longer life than equivalent leaf.

I think dropping 10 percentage points at 160000km is pretty OK.
    Ioniq is so efficient its t he only car you could still use Ionity on and be cheaper than a fossil car.

zg3409 wrote: »
    State of health is a bit of a lie. Ioniq starts with more than 100% of 28kWh and it will only drop below 100% if the 30kWh or 29.5kWh battery drops below 28kWh. There was a report from an owner of a 160,000km car in Europe that said it had started to display less than 100%.

Once that happens I would expect it to constantly slowly drop.

All that said even dropping from 110% to 100% in 3 years and 160,000 km is good, and the forced air cooling of the batteries and the newer battery chemistry in the Ioniq mean they should have longer life than equivalent leaf.

^^^^that

Every battery has degradation from day 1. In Ioniq there is a buffer that disguises it but by all means it looks like the cooling is doing its business and the battery is keeping well, despite the very high charge and discharge rates. Even though it is not liquid cooling.

People always seem to be talking about charging rates only and Ioniq can do up to 70kW, but I think they got it to over 80kW while testing the car at the factory. But remember the car can output 88kW, this means the car is discharging at about a 3C rating, which is pretty high.

unkel wrote: »
    ^^^^that

Every battery has degradation from day 1. In Ioniq there is a buffer that disguises it but by all means it looks like the cooling is doing its business and the battery is keeping well, despite the very high charge and discharge rates. Even though it is not liquid cooling.

People always seem to be talking about charging rates only and Ioniq can do up to 70kW, but I think they got it to over 80kW while testing the car at the factory. But remember the car can output 88kW, this means the car is discharging at about a 3C rating, which is pretty high.

I think you can actually regen more (in terms of kW/C rate)than you can put in on DC charging too.

Thanks all, good to know.

The 28 ioniq battery sounds very good.

What is the story with the 38 Ioniq battery?

Is the 38 ioniq battery really bad or wha? compared to the 28 battery?

Is the 38 ioniq battery really bad or wha? compared to the 28 battery?
    Yes
    Lower voltage so it charges slower natively. In addition, it has been nerfed with lower charging speed / higher tapering earlier, so that it takes much longer than the 28 to charge.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes
    Lower voltage so it charges slower natively. In addition, it has been nerfed with lower charging speed / higher tapering earlier, so that it takes much longer than the 28 to charge.

so issues with charging, but does it offer decent range or is this compromised also?

so issues with charging, but does it offer decent range or is this compromised also?
    About 50-75km range added.

So if your commute is above 170km and below 250-270 then the new Ioniq is better as it makes one FCP stop into 0.

Above that 250-270 it is worse than the old ioniq due to the much slower charging.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    I think you can actually regen more (in terms of kW/C rate)than you can put in on DC charging too.

Good point, forgot about that. I think I remember people having recorded a regen of over 100kW, which would be pushing 4C :eek:

Obviously only for a brief moment though. For comparison the battery cells I am currently working with in my project are LiFePo4 cells that can handle 2C continous and 3C for 30 minutes

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

unkel wrote: »
    Good point, forgot about that. I think I remember people having recorded a regen of over 100kW, which would be pushing 4C :eek:

Obviously only for a brief moment though. For comparison the battery cells I am currently working with in my project are LiFePo4 cells that can handle 2C continous and 3C for 30 minutes

Think Torque exposes a "max regen" value of 98kW or something like that. I actually ment to check this morning after a 100% charge if it is reduced when the battery is "full".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

All, has anyone a link to s bluetooth dongle that explicitly works with the ioniq. I had one that I bought for a previous car and it worked perfectly. However I temp put it in my wife's car and sold it (the car).
    I've bought 2 dongles off amazon and both will connect to phone buy neither will send data to torque pro or to EVnotify.
    So the specific ask is does anyone have a link to a obd2 bluetooth dongle that they have bought and works in the ioniq

All, has anyone a link to s bluetooth dongle that explicitly works with the ioniq. I had one that I bought for a previous car and it worked perfectly. However I temp put it in my wife's car and sold it (the car).
    I've bought 2 dongles off amazon and both will connect to phone buy neither will send data to torque pro or to EVnotify.
    So the specific ask is does anyone have a link to a obd2 bluetooth dongle that they have bought and works in the ioniq

This is the one I bought last year, but it was £10 at the time:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00PJPHEBO

Think Torque exposes a "max regen" value of 98kW or something like that. I actually ment to check this morning after a 100% charge if it is reduced when the battery is "full".

Yes regen would be reduced / disabled on pretty much all EVs when the battery is full. I don't like it, makes your car feel like an ICE again :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭embraer170

From what year is the Ioniq Apple CarPlay compatible?

I am still hesitating between a new Model 3 and a 2017/2018 Ioniq. I’d love a Model 3 but €45k still seems to be a huge amount to spend on a car.

All Ioniqs have Android auto and Apple carplay as standard

embraer170 wrote: »
    From what year is the Ioniq Apple CarPlay compatible?

I am still hesitating between a new Model 3 and a 2017/2018 Ioniq. I’d love a Model 3 but €45k still seems to be a huge amount to spend on a car.

48k, no?

Not really comparable cars though. Big spec difference between them. If you go model 3, you'll be hard pushed to ever buy a lower spec'd car. Could be a pricey move in more than one way.

Think it was high 80s when I got down a decent few %. Max regen was 50kW at 100%, which I thought was pretty high

• Advertisement

embraer170 wrote: »

The Ioniq 28 was a very well specced car in fairness. 2019 onwards had privacy glass, a heated steering wheel & wasn't missing much to be honest.
    It is a lot of car for half the price :).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement