Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So you've been accepted into NUIM 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

ello, I'm Emma :)

I'm starting English, I can't wait! I'm a bit terrified that I won't make any friends (going it alone), but really excited!

Now I've just gotta sort accommodation if I don't get student accommodation!

See ye all in a few weeks :D

Likewise....so nervous i won't make friends :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

You'se will have no bother making friends. You'll live with people who won't know anyone either and will want to make friends plus there's always plenty of parties at the start of the year where you'll meet people.

Join a few societies as well and you'll make plenty of new friends.

That's not to mention the people you'll meet on your course as well.

And if all else fails, you'll meet people from on here about the place. :P

There's really nothing to worry about, Maynooth is a really friendly place. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭*Miss Ní C*

does anybody know anything about the on-campus accommodation? They told me yesterday that they were emailing people who'd applied for it today, but I haven't received one! Has anyone heard anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭itchyblood

Give them a buzz. I'd say they're closed by now but if you ring in the morning they'll help you out. The girls that work in the Residence office could not be nicer.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 114 ✭✭UglyFuc

does anybody know anything about the on-campus accommodation? They told me yesterday that they were emailing people who'd applied for it today, but I haven't received one! Has anyone heard anything?

the draw for it was done last night. ring them and they will tell you. we all rang and got accepted.

now another question, can i apply to live with my mixed friends on campus? two or 3 of us altogether

• Advertisement

To anyone worried about not making friends, you'll make loads. In the first few weeks of term, everyone is going around introducing themselves. The amount of names you'll forget is unbelievable. Get involved as much as you can, go to all the things for orientation week, say hi to new people.

UglyFuc wrote: »
    now another question, can i apply to live with my mixed friends on campus? two or 3 of us altogether

As far as I know, I don't think you have preference of who you live with. For the past two years, all of my friends who lived on campus lived with new people.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Rafcam

I'm doing Music Technology! :)
    I rang today to find out about the accommodation and I'm on campus.
    I'm soo excited!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

itchyblood wrote: »
    To anyone worried about not making friends, you'll make loads. In the first few weeks of term, everyone is going around introducing themselves. The amount of names you'll forget is unbelievable. Get involved as much as you can, go to all the things for orientation week, say hi to new people.

This.

For the first two weeks or so it's totally cool to just start talking to randomers (you start getting weird looks after that).

And remember; if you forget someone's name do the old;

"What's your name again?"
    "Blah"
    "No, I meant your second name" :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Woop! Doing arts myself!

English
    Philosophy
    Sociology/Geography... maybe even /Anthropology :P

Going through the HEAR programme so I'm in for orientation this Sunday!
    I'm one of the leaders for the HEAR/DARE orientation, so I'll see you on Sunday :D It's always a fun few days.

Welcome to all the NUIM newbies! Maynooth is a great place :) And don't be worried at all if you don't know anyone when you get here, I didn't know a single person back when I started either. You'll meet people in the most random ways :) Yous will all be in the same boat so just chat to everyone you see, you'll have made loads of friends in no time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

What!!! Orientation is on sunday!! Is this true ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

What!!! Orientation is on sunday!! Is this true ?

Read. seriousfizz said they're going through the HEAR programme and as a result their orientation is on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lb100

god im realy nervous!! just accepted my place today! doing arts!! hope I make some friends!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Davek1312

Hey i'm doing computer science and software engineering (MH203). Couldn't believe I got in :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Hi, im james

Doing science, common entry(MH201). looking forward to it now i must say, although a shuttle bus everyday wont be fun :rolleyes:

Going through the HEAR programme so I'm in for orientation this Sunday!

**** that's Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 iWeeze

Hey hey, Richie, Multimedia, and missing Blink 182 for this HEAR launchpad or whatever so admire my committment please.

iWeeze wrote: »
    Hey hey, Richie, Multimedia, and missing Blink 182 for this HEAR launchpad or whatever so admire my committment please.

Thank you. I just didn't know it was this Sunday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭A Changer

I'll be studying English, minoring in History. Should be fun stuff for all involved!
    I'm starting English, I can't wait! I'm a bit terrified that I won't make any friends (going it alone), but really excited!

Hah, remember me from the CAO choices thread on the Leaving Cert forum? Looks like we'll be doing the same course after all! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Xxhaylsxx

Glad to see there are some doing Science.:) For a while there I was thinking there was nobody on boards going. Science is great Maynooth is the friendliest place so you will have a ball. I'm a fourth year science student so any questions dont be afraid to ask :) Welcome!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

Thank you. I just didn't know it was this Sunday. :)

Hey, have either of you guys got a letter about the whole thing yet? Was expecting it today but according to my post box there's nothing yet :P
    Also hoping it doesn't go on for too long cause I've got a gig on Sunday night, anybody got any idea how long it's due to last?

EDIT: So the postman arrives at ten to two :rolleyes:
    Apparently we've got to stay on campus from Sunday till Wed afternoon... looks like that gig isn't happening :P

Hey, have either of you guys got a letter about the whole thing yet? Was expecting it today but according to my post box there's nothing yet :P
    Also hoping it doesn't go on for too long cause I've got a gig on Sunday night, anybody got any idea how long it's due to last?

Apparently we've got to stay on campus from Sunday till Wed afternoon... looks like that gig isn't happening :P

Yeah I had to ring and give my details because there's no way the post is getting that back to them tomorrow.:p

Yeah I had to ring and give my details because there's no way the post is getting that back to them tomorrow.:p

I did both, don't live very far so the post should get there in time, but if not I'm covered. Looking forward to starting on Sunday, should be a good few days! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭AmyMaria

wahey, same here! :)

Yay see you there :D!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ste-ven

If you really wanna play it or go see blink tell them you have your debs on the day and they'll let you out for the night thats what I had to do. It was such a pain cause they make you be back in Maynooth for 9am the next day i was wrecked.

ste-ven wrote: »
    If you really wanna play it or go see blink tell them you have your debs on the day and they'll let you out for the night thats what I had to do. It was such a pain cause they make you be back in Maynooth for 9am the next day i was wrecked.

Ah, I never thought of that :P Not really a big deal anyways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

has anyone who's accepted their course got any info through the post yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ms.Marvel

Howdy there, I'm Ericka and just accepted my offer from Maynooth, Multimedia. I'm looking forward to it but that traditional and entirely irrational fear of not making any friends looms. I'm the type of person who blunders into conversations, makes inappropriate jokes and forgets everyones name instantly. Not a great recipe for friendship.

I haven't a clue what to choose as my 2nd Arts module for 1st year, I'm caught between Maths or English. NUI keep telling me to do Maths because I did O level Maths but surely I can blunder my way through ? I would much rather do English, although it probably clashes abysmally with Multimedia. I know I'll end up making the absolute worst choice and just be that weird girl who smells of mint and Vaseline and cries in corners. Again, gigantic irrational fear looms.

So I guess the point to this rambling post is if anyone knows what Maths is like, if I do need to actually do it for the purposes of Multimedia or if I can pick whichever mod I wish. Thanks :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Postit wrote: »
    Let me know what they say!

Hi
    I called the admin office and they weren't sure.
    So I went to there today and I saw a lovely guy in the admin office.
    He said economics and accounting have the same course for 1st yr.
    At the end if you want to switch you can apply. You must get over 60%.

He actually showed were I was on the waiting list and I was the last on finance and accounting after getting 375.

Hopefully somebody won't accept their offer and I get a place.
    But one way or the other I'll be doing finance and accounting.

• Advertisement

Haha, fair play. Seeing Blink 182 is definitely more important than anything you'll do in your life! haha.

Advertisement