Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Doge wrote: »
    I remember almost having a heart attack in the cinema when I saw Vigo come to life, pretty sure theres a jumo scare moment in the film. :p

Yeah, some nice early digital effects there, reminds me of the stained glass window knight from Young Sherlock Holmes, great stuff from ILM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Yeah, some nice early digital effects there, reminds me of the stained glass window knight from Young Sherlock Holmes, great stuff from ILM.
    And that's pretty much the only reason anyone seems to remember that movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I liked the little cake monsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Now, that was a class TV show TRGB (and obviously B5 as well)..

Never realised he worked on The Real Ghostbusters... just googled and he also worked on Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors (best cartoon theme tune?).

I've actually been thinking of watching B5 again. Anyone here watched it recently? How are those Amiga graphics holding up today?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I think the use of Amiga on B5 is exaggerated a bit, they were only used on the early episodes and obviously a bit dated but I think they hold up ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I think the use of Amiga on B5 is exaggerated a bit, they were only used on the early episodes and obviously a bit dated but I think they hold up ok.

It was just the pilot episode that used the Amiga, after that they moved on to PC's and rendering workstations.

Edit:
    Although sources seem to differ, some say first 5 episodes. Some say just the pilot.
    It would make sense to have done more than one episode with the amount of Amiga equipment and file servers they would have needed/purchased for all the animation frames.

Anyone know for sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,482 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Never realised he worked on The Real Ghostbusters... just googled and he also worked on Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors (best cartoon theme tune?).

I've actually been thinking of watching B5 again. Anyone here watched it recently? How are those Amiga graphics holding up today?

Good read here for anyone interested in Babylon 5 and Jayce.

Dude emails Michael Straczynski randomly years ago, ends up having a back and forth email conversation with him about the show (including mentions of a film that was scripted but never released)

http://www.wheelies.net/wwb5/ww-b5-jms.html

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

o1s1n wrote: »
    Good read here for anyone interested in Babylon 5 and Jayce.

Dude emails Michael Straczynski randomly years ago, ends up having a back and forth email conversation with him about the show (including mentions of a film that was scripted but never released)

http://www.wheelies.net/wwb5/ww-b5-jms.html

Good read. He seems like a top guy. I remember being aware of how engaged he was with fans while watching B5 many many moons ago.

Think it was Video Toaster and Lightwave that were used for the whole first season of B5. Was also used for Sea-quest DSV too.

The latest Best of the Worst on Red Letter Media had a great bit on Video Toaster.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,826 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

DinoRex wrote: »
    Think it was Video Toaster and Lightwave that were used for the whole first season of B5. Was also used for Sea-quest DSV too.

The latest Best of the Worst on Red Letter Media had a great bit on Video Toaster.

I remember that being a bit of a meme on Digitiser back in the day with die hard amiga fans pointing to the special effects in Babylon 5 in an attempt to try and make the Amiga seem relevant.

For it's time though the Amiga was used extensively in early CGI rendering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

some interesting reverse engineering for the sega saturn

http://hackaday.com/2016/07/11/cracking-the-sega-saturn-after-20-years/#more-213623

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I remember that being a bit of a meme on Digitiser back in the day with die hard amiga fans pointing to the special effects in Babylon 5 in an attempt to try and make the Amiga seem relevant.

For it's time though the Amiga was used extensively in early CGI rendering.

According to Amiga fan Kerbdog, of this parish, the announcer voice in Wipeout 2097 is an Amiga filter/effect thingy, which would make sense given Psygnosis and their Amiga heritage.

New guy in our office used to work for Psygnosis, must see if he's got any interesting stories :)

And speaking of Amiga's, got my pimped 1200 all setup downstairs now and getting great value out of the back catalog !!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

New guy in our office used to work for Psygnosis, must see if he's got any interesting stories :)

Or some cool promo swag stashed away in an attic!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

When you feel too much sunshine
    https://t.co/zm64Tr3u5h

When you feel too much sunshine
    https://t.co/zm64Tr3u5h

It's a true reflection of the performance of the Sonic franchise since the MD era!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's a true reflection of the performance of the Sonic franchise since the MD era!

The twitter page, however, has been in excellent form...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Hey, I've seen quite a few videos of his.

I really should get a Dreamcast and get it set up for online.

Where'd ya meet him, anyway?
    I've been friends with him on Youtube / Facebook for a while.

He helped me with some of the initial setup of my channel after I became a YouTube partner and was trying to find my nich .

Saw on Facebook that he was in town and offered to buy him a coffee... Spent about two hours with him and ended up showing him The R.A.G.E (which he liked... a bit heheh... he filmed a video there too afterwards).

Absolutely lovely guy... would definitely hang out with him again if he was around.

I've just found the box for RType III on the SNES, it seems to be one of the games that has gained some value of late.
    Had a peek on eBay, bloody hell!
    I won't say what I paid for it some 16 years ago, but it's seems to be going for lot more now.
    Only problem is it has no manual.
    Might stick it on eBay, only gathering dust of late and I'm not interested in the Adverts low ball bullsh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Daikatana 1.3 for Windows, Linux, OSX and FreeBSD
    https://bitbucket.org/daikatana13/

• Advertisement

Saw Ghostbusters last night.

It's pretty good. Hope they make more.

Probably not good enough to change the minds of the bloody-minded people who have made up their minds before seeing it, though. But it's pretty good for normal people to enjoy, you know, people who don't build their identity around the products they consume.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

DinoRex wrote: »
    Saw Ghostbusters last night.

It's pretty good. Hope they make more.

Probably not good enough to change the minds of the bloody-minded people who have made up their minds before seeing it, though. But it's pretty good for normal people to enjoy, you know, people who don't build their identity around the products they consume.

I went into it with an open mind and really didn't care for any of the discourse surrounding it.
    Still, I just found it a bit boring in parts but I would be open to a sequel and would be interested to see where they could go from there.
    No need for cameos or any call backs to the originals then, which hopefully could free them up a bit more.
    Much like the recent Star Wars, I found it a bit boring because it lent so heavily on the original film.
    Both franchises have a lot to work with and plenty of places to go story wise but I felt they ultimately played it safe in their soft reboots.
    My biggest gripe with Ghostbusters, was the theme song cover. It was horrible, just use the original song - its still class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Still, I just found it a bit boring in parts...

My biggest gripe with Ghostbusters, was the theme song cover. It was horrible, just use the original song - its still class.

If that's the worst of it, as JU said earlier, it's going to make the nerd rage surrounding it look biblicaly stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Well this came out of absolutely nowhere

Nintendo release a NES Classic Mini with 30 built in games via HDMI. Out November 11th.

CI_NintendoClassicMiniNES_PS_Announcement_MS7_image912w.jpg

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nintendo-Classic-Mini/Nintendo-Classic-Mini-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-1124287.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=nintendoclassicmini&utm_content=announcement

Games are:

Balloon Fight
    BUBBLE BOBBLE
    Castlevania
    Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
    Donkey Kong
    Donkey Kong Jr.
    DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE
    Dr. Mario
    Excitebike
    FINAL FANTASY
    Galaga
    GHOSTS'N GOBLINS
    GRADIUS
    Ice Climber
    Kid Icarus
    Kirby's Adventure
    Mario Bros.
    MEGA MAN 2
    Metroid
    NINJA GAIDEN
    PAC-MAN
    Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
    StarTropics
    SUPER C
    Super Mario Bros.
    Super Mario Bros. 2
    Super Mario Bros. 3
    TECMO BOWL
    The Legend of Zelda
    Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Damn you Nintendo. Bet it sells better than the Wii U :D

I'd LOVE if this became a thing, & they released Snes & N64 versions too

Myrddin wrote: »
    If that's the worst of it, as JU said earlier, it's going to make the nerd rage surrounding it look biblicaly stupid.

It was all a big hullabaloo over nothing.

Can see the sparse falling out of the second hand Nintendo market now.

It was all a big hullabaloo over nothing.

Nerdrage explained in a lot of cases really.
    Does that Nes play the old carts too?

Nope. Though I imagine there'll be some hacking going on after release. Instabuy, because Nintendo.

Can see the sparse falling out of the second hand Nintendo market now.

Not a hope, it didn't with those Genesis rereleases, no reason to think this'll be any different. These are novelties, collectors will still want the real deal. These could become collectable in their own right though, especially if they start releasing different versions with different games etc

• Advertisement

Looks great !! Will be picking up one of them for sure.

Lets hope its hackable..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement