Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Sounds
    EMar Sounds

Reminds me of bosco..

Ernest wrote: »
    That Aldi television commercial which was repeated endlessly showing two proud mothers outdoing each other in boasting about their children's non-existent 'achievements'. Stupid, boring, repetitive, pointless, unconvincing. How much money was wasted on it?

Ironic seen as the Germans hate waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Tri "vah" go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Argos seem to be advertising trampolines :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

The ads where they take a classic song and have a choir sing it, or a ukelele version. 'Ah that's a lovely version'. No it's not. It's it butchering the song and tainting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

New 'Smithwicks' advert in which they are seen to be identifying themselves with the ordinary, everyday home-brewer. Further proof, as if it was needed already, that Irish advertising is the very pits and that whoever comes up with bare brained ideas which are supposed to tap into the Irish 'psych' should be taken out and put up against a wall.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Oh dear. I see the McDonalds chest shaver/waxer twats are back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

The ads where they take a classic song and have a choir sing it, or a ukelele version. 'Ah that's a lovely version'. No it's not. It's it butchering the song and tainting it.

Yea they've really done the dog on that over the last few years. All it took was one and then there was an avalanche of ads including every classic tune you can think of done in a 'postmodern/ironic/completely opposite to the tone of the original' fashion. The worst offender was that lynx ad with "Welcome To The Jungle" sang in some Sam Smith,auto tune mode, sacrilege!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

Apache pizza one where for some reason there's a couple of hurleys thrown in..

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

Also, don't hate it but, the new Vodafone ad, with the two kids watching telly, is that blonde lady the same one who was going out with the lad with the beard?

• Advertisement

denlaw wrote: »
    Also, don't hate it but, the new Vodafone ad, with the two kids watching telly, is that blonde lady the same one who was going out with the lad with the beard?

Yeah it is. She is looking quite well in that ad if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I see that Chicago Town Pizza ad (the Glee-type one set in the storm drain) is back. Jesus wept.

Yea they've really done the dog on that over the last few years. All it took was one and then there was an avalanche of ads including every classic tune you can think of done in a 'postmodern/ironic/completely opposite to the tone of the original' fashion. The worst offender was that lynx ad with "Welcome To The Jungle" sang in some Sam Smith,auto tune mode, sacrilege!

There's one on at the moment where they use "Teenage Dirtbag" by Wheatus in acoustic format. Strange choice.

ligerdub wrote: »
    There's one on at the moment where they use "Teenage Dirtbag" by Wheatus in acoustic format. Strange choice.

Jaysus they are really scraping the barrel at this stage, I blame Nouvelle Vague for starting the craze.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

ligerdub wrote: »
    Tri "vah" go.

priiiiiccce :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Furniture retailers' ads in September & October guaranteeing delivery by Christmas.

I don't "despise" them, I just can't understand why there seems to be an expectation that potential customers will be impressed by a promise of delivery of goods they've purchased within 3 or 4 months!

Surely items of furniture would generally be delivered much sooner than that. Can anyone explain this?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Finner

I'm new to this forum so excuse me if this has already been posted but back to school ads this year seem to have gotten out of control this year! Random products that have nothing to do with school or kids making tenuous links! But the worst one is still being hawked on the radio and it's Oct - Haliborange. Back to school is well and trully underway! And the kid is sooo annoying! I want an apple in my lunchbox mummy. Mummy where's my schoolbag? I DON'T KNOW! Where did you put it last?!!! If my kid calls me mummy like that I'm going to cry! Rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Furniture retailers' ads in September & October guaranteeing delivery by Christmas.

I don't "despise" them, I just can't understand why there seems to be an expectation that potential customers will be impressed by a promise of delivery of goods they've purchased within 3 or 4 months!

Surely items of furniture would generally be delivered much sooner than that. Can anyone explain this?

Made to order. SCS the first ad I have seen with a christmas tree in it been running at least 3 weeks now. I was going to buy a sofa but I heard a rumour that SCS or some other sofa provider might be having a sale sometime soon.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

The new Debt helpline ad. It's just creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The Connacht Gold ad. Like some kitch sleazy ad from the 70s. I don't buy that product, and now never will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Auld Jim Halpin

10,000+ posts, well done everyone. It's been fun. One of my gear grinders at the moment is the new KBC ad, two complete wallys standing at the door of their car in the driveway espousing the benefits of KBC and how it, a bank!, will change your life and all your problems will be solved. Their voices, that script, equally stomach churning and head melting.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Michael8000

ollaetta wrote: »
    Oh dear. I see the McDonalds chest shaver/waxer twats are back.

No way!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

10,000+ posts, well done everyone. It's been fun.

And congratulations to Denlaw for being the one to make the 10,000th post. :D:);)

giphy.gif

I'm going to bring up the Corsodyl ads once more, because there's a good BBC News article about them. (Warning: it contains a certain screenshot from the ad where that woman dreams of all her teeth falling out at once.)

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36024782

Can't say I'm surprised that GSK vigorously defends these ads. And much as we Boardsies hate them, we can't argue with the fact that they have been pretty successful...

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

madmaggie wrote: »
    The Connacht Gold ad. Like some kitch sleazy ad from the 70s. I don't buy that product, and now never will.

I don't recall seeing that one but I am reminded of the truly awful advertising by AVONMORE milk and cream products that seem to always be broadcast around the Six One News on RTE.
    In one an idiotic female in pink gliding about; in another a disgusting close-up of cream. UUGGH! I make a point now in shops of never buying Avonmore dairy products.

It seems many people avoid brands that they don't like the ads. So even though they are getting a lot of publicity and attention on here, they are affecting business.

I have to say the worst ad I've ever heard was for Ronald Gammell insurance circa 1995. It was on East Coast Radio everyday en route to school and Mr. Gamell sold his brand with all the gusto of a funeral directo, unbelievably droll. Yet I still remember the phone number of the company to this day so unintentionally genius marketing. "That's 2876345, that's 2876345."

10,000+ posts, well done everyone. It's been fun. One of my gear grinders at the moment is the new KBC ad, two complete wallys standing at the door of their car in the driveway espousing the benefits of KBC and how it, a bank!, will change your life and all your problems will be solved. Their voices, that script, equally stomach churning and head melting.

Great call. As a matter of fact I hate any ad by a bank (I make an exception for AIB and the kid on the bike, that at least was clever and a clever turn on the sort of thing a discerning buyer should consider when looking for a place to move to).

This sort of stuff with the couple dancing around in the room while painting does my head in. I'm sick of this "let's try and go with an angle of campaigning on issues people can relate to but be really obviously insincere " attitude that seems to be in common with all these dopes.

Your one that does the "We're backing brave" voice over on the bank ads does my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

"Check your email"

image.png

*best said with a clothes peg tightly gripped on your nose to sound as nasally and grating as is possible.

New Moon

• Advertisement

New thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101288446#post101288446

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement