Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade 1Ups replica cabs thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mine just arrived this morning!
    Going to do the spinner mod before assembling, should make Tempest far far better.
    Anyone know where to get the protective cover for the CP?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭frasr

ozmo wrote: »
    Guy in gamestop warned me before buying that the paint needs some protection - suggested varnish - any suggestions - dont want anything that will yellow or crackup...

Video here on how to spray the control board with lacquer, results seem good
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORl_txaN3Ng

Also get in contact with service@arcade1up.co.uk and ask for a protector & they will send one out as a "gesture of goodwill". I think the lacquer is a much better fix, but I get the feeling for a lot of people these will get played a few times & then just gather dust, so the protector is a quick fix before seeing if the machine will get enough use to spend the time on a lacquer fix.

Put mine together last night, took a little over an hour, no problems with it, all lined up ok and quality wise it's better than I expected. First game of Street Fighter on a cab in years & I got my ... hand to me my E. Honda...

Bought a black Ikea Lack table for it to use as a riser, haven't put it together yet (all of the 2 mins it'll take!) but was playing on my knees, so a riser is def. needed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

frasr wrote: »
    Video here on how to spray the control board with lacquer, results seem good
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORl_txaN3Ng

Also get in contact with service@arcade1up.co.uk and ask for a protector & they will send one out as a "gesture of goodwill". I think the lacquer is a much better fix, but I get the feeling for a lot of people these will get played a few times & then just gather dust, so the protector is a quick fix before seeing if the machine will get enough use to spend the time on a lacquer fix.

Put mine together last night, took a little over an hour, no problems with it, all lined up ok and quality wise it's better than I expected. First game of Street Fighter on a cab in years & I got my ... hand to me my E. Honda...

Bought a black Ikea Lack table for it to use as a riser, haven't put it together yet (all of the 2 mins it'll take!) but was playing on my knees, so a riser is def. needed.

I was thinking of a riser but I am probably putting this upstairs so the lack of height is a help not a hindrance.
    I've sent an email to that address there, fingers crossed!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I was thinking of a riser but I am probably putting this upstairs so the lack of height is a help not a hindrance.
    I've sent an email to that address there, fingers crossed!

Almost immediately they said they'll send one on to me!
    Super stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GG3xmu3BguYjx5HB7

Look at it, just sitting their laughing at me:cool:

I don't get the whole you have to wait till Christmas day. I'll have to u selfishly help the kids sort their stuff and then there won't be time and I'll leave it till Stephen's day, then I'll be too hung over and the rest of christmas will be a drinkin blur and it will be lucky if it sees a screwdriver before 2019.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭ozmo

Rather than varnish I took all the buttons off and put on some plastic wrap we had for school books. It was fiddley - the power buttons are glued in but others came out easily.

Another plus is it mutes the colours down a little making it look much better than before.

rubhu1.png

Now how on earth are you supposed to play defender? Its IMPOSSIBLE!

“Roll it back”

I have to take a look at mine today, I'd say it's going upstairs so I have to find a space.
    And the mod as well, before assembly, to make it more playable.
    If there was a switchable input so a Pi or PC could be installed in parallel with the existing paltry system running it, that would be ideal.
    I'm sure the mods will come thick and fast.

At the very least - This secret menu hack will let us remap the Defender controls-

“Roll it back”

At the very least - This secret menu hack will let us remap the Defender controls-

Secret menu?
    That's the standard MAME settings menu

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That's the standard MAME settings menu

Yeah it is all right- still well hiden requiring a soldering iron to get to it...

It does give you access to some unlisted games...

See here - a not great looking breakout game - the file manager looks interesting...hopefully someone will figure out how to swop roms...

Doesnt work for Street Fighter...

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Happy Christmas everyone x. My rampage cab worked for about 10 minutes, froze and then wouldn't switch back on.

I'm just sticking my Asteroids cab together.
    So far so good.
    I have to go out but I'll finish it later on.
    FYI, they seem to have improved the spinner controller.
    It still doesn't spin as such, but it's a lot less "clicky" than the ones seen on YouTube, should make for a better game of Tempest!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

Will we ever see the simpsons released?

I finished the Asteroids cab, and had great fun with both Asteroids and Lunar Lander.
    Tempest plays well but there is some minor alterations needed with the spinner and Major Havoc is still a game I just don't like.
    Odd that they left out Asteroids Deluxe though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

Just ordered a core i3-2100 bundle with motherboard and stock cpu cooler for £40 to parcel wizard.

Just need to order 4 of 8gbs of ram now and try and get a powerful supply off a friend. Also have an SSD dive I can fire into it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

lordlame wrote: »
    Will we ever see the simpsons released?

No way could you fit 4 players around a cab that size

• Registered Users Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭Inviere

horgan_p wrote: »
    No way could you fit 4 players around a cab that size

There’s two player variants of those cabs, where you choose character with the stick. Same as tmnt, sunset riders, etc.

Some one should buy 2 and bolt them together and make a 4player 2 screen machine like x men ,

• Registered Users Posts: 16 arcadeblasters

This secret menu

So you simply press the TAB key to bring up this super secret mame menu?

Wow..... Who Knew? :D:D:D

This secret menu

So you simply press the TAB key to bring up this super secret mame menu?

Wow..... Who Knew? :D:D:D

Soo ... try it and tell us what you see...

Oh yeah - you need solder the keyboard onto the mainboard - also making sure you reverse the usb wires to the non standard layout as shown in the video.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

I'd be giving that a go if i had one of these cabs, thats a nice handy soldering job, decent spacing between the solder pads and easily accessible on the board. certainly less fiddly than soldering the wiring for a cabinet mounted on/off switch to a lot of dell small form factor jobs.

My sarcasm was merely aimed at the video title referring to the "mame secret menu" accessed by pressing the tab key by youtube user ETA Prime.

The heavy work here was done by someone else, Some stellar digging around and research work done by the reddit user Berry Berry Sneaky on the Arcade 1up cabinet, heres a link.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MAME/comments/a35edo/hacking_the_arcade1up_34scale_mini_arcade_cabinets/

I still live in hope that they have Asteroids Deluxe tucked away in my Asteroids cab....

So before I headed out tonight I had a quick go of hooking up the LCD driver board and my raspberry pi 1 and it worked well. Seems to have signal switching built in.

469047.jpg

Kodi / open elec just happened to be on the pi, I doubt I'll be using it as a media center! :P

The amp I bought is pretty ****ty though, needed to turn the volume down on the LCD driver board but it still sounds distorted and noisey at high levels and the volume pot sounds really scratchy when I turn it.

I might send it back to Amazon and go with one of the better Chinese tri-path amps like the SMSL ones.

Can't wait for the motherboard bundle go arrive and get MAME and attract mode running.

Doge wrote: »
    ...I had a quick go of hooking up the LCD driver board and my raspberry pi 1 and it worked well....
    Can't wait for the motherboard bundle go arrive and get MAME and attract mode running.

Thats cool - What lcd board did you use - Im looking to either get one but dont want to wait weeks for post from China. I was considering also just replacing the whole lcd screen with guts of an old dell pc monitor I have.

Any reason not to use the PI you have for mame emulation? The Retropi 64gig and 128Gig releases seem decent? No fan needed then.

“Roll it back”

Thats cool - What lcd board did you use - Im looking to either get one but dont want to wait weeks for post from China. I was considering also just replacing the whole lcd screen with guts of an old dell pc monitor I have.

Any reason not to use the PI you have for mame emulation? The Retropi 64gig and 128Gig releases seem decent? No fan needed then.

Here you go ozmo, this is the exact one I ordered eligible for amazon prime too if you have it:
    Doge wrote: »

HDMI VGA DVI Audio LCD Controller Board M.NT68767 Fit To M170ETN01.1 17" 19" M190ETN01.0 1280x1024 LCD Display https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JMLRJN1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_G4JfCbNYFVPX1

As for not using a Pi, retropie runs a much older version of MAME if I recall and I want to be able to run the latest version to maximize compatibility and also have some nice scan lines.

Games like World Rally 2 wont run on it I think and it’s one of the ones i’d Like to play.

The Pi makes for a great fanless and efficient solution though and can even run the attract mode frontend I posted earlier in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

less fiddly than soldering the wiring for a cabinet mounted on/off switch to a lot of dell small form factor

Have a look in the bios as usually there is an option for what to do when A/C power is restored. If you set that option to always power on, then once you plug in the cab the pc will power up.

Have a look in the bios as usually there is an option for what to do when A/C power is restored. If you set that option to always power on, then once you plug in the cab the pc will power up.

I hear ya man, but I do like to have a button that turns it off and on. Just walk up to cab, press the button and off we go....saves faffing around with plugs and stuff.

Right - thats the last straw - its definitely getting modded now...

Bought it specifically for Gauntlet - and only when I have a crowd over did I realise its hard configured for 2 players - middle joystick is not connected for that game!

Soo.. I have my retropi and monitor all working ready to install - does anyone know what the current best way of connecting the rpi gpio to physical buttons...

I see so many ways listed on the net - I don't want to introduce any latency with keyboard emulators - hardware(arduino) or any slow software drivers.

Anyone know whats the best way of doing this? Ta all...

“Roll it back”

Right - thats the last straw - its definitely getting modded now...

Bought it specifically for Gauntlet - and only when I have a crowd over did I realise its hard configured for 2 players - middle joystick is not connected for that game!

Soo.. I have my retropi and monitor all working ready to install - does anyone know what the current best way of connecting the rpi gpio to physical buttons...

I see so many ways listed on the net - I don't want to introduce any latency with keyboard emulators - hardware(arduino) or any slow software drivers.

Anyone know whats the best way of doing this? Ta all...

As per the ETA prime video I went an ordered 2 of these usb encoders for arcade joysticks and buttons. Available on via Amazon prime it you need it in a hurry:

Quimat Zero Delay Arcade USB Encoder PC to Joystick for Mame Jamma & Other PC Fighting Games https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XD1WF8G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mZUkCbMYVCV7X

I used one im ny icade core and there's no delay from what I can tell. It was Dr. Bob who recommended it back then.

Definitely the easiest way of getting the controls up and running.

• Advertisement

A Facebook friend is in Akihabra Tokyo at the moment and it appears they have 3 Arcade1UP cabs on display which will sell on Amazon Japan this new year:

469252.jpg

Advertisement