Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

lawred2 wrote: »
    nope - nor do I see it as a 'big deal'

but simply more evidence of an unwillingness to fully embrace anything that would remotely be seen as 'European' - no matter how token..

45 years of in but out at the same time has led us to where we are today

Many Europeans are clearly deeply resentful and distrustful of Britain for having kept the European Union’s values and institutions at arm’s length as much is possible. Maybe you don’t subscribe to those view. It’s not uncommon to hear words like ‘arrogance’ and ‘exceptionalism’ however.

I never quite understood why though. Who do these people think they are? How dare they demand absolute compliance and obedience to their project?

Why should Britain, or any country, be viewed so negatively for having reservations to this kind of continental groupthink?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭bennya

I never quite understood why though. Who do these people think they are? How dare they demand absolute compliance and obedience to their project?

Why should Britain, or any country, be viewed so negatively for having reservations to this kind of continental groupthink?

The question is to Britain in general, "who do you think you are"?

I'd liken the British stance to the EU as being like a guest who shows up to a party, behaves in a belligerent manner to all the other guests, and then leaves saying "you're all a shower of (redacted)" whilst grabbing as much food as they can on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Many Europeans are clearly deeply resentful and distrustful of Britain for having kept the European Union’s values and institutions at arm’s length as much is possible. Maybe you don’t subscribe to those view. It’s not uncommon to hear words like ‘arrogance’ and ‘exceptionalism’ however.

Ah take the train.

Your indignation is not warranted and is a useless sidetrack to the real issue which is the UK's inability to come to a common position on Brexit and negotiate in good faith.

This is all due to the shambles in Westminster and the shocking performance of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭Enzokk

The BBC may have completely lost the plot and gone all tabloid.

https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1093133139071983616

They are implying that Tusk is saying all those that voted for Brexit has a special place in hell when he said those that promoted it without a plan. There is very little excuse for this from the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Emotive and indignant, my favourite.

The language today was necessarily robust - it is very important to clearly signal to the UK parliament that the WA will not be renegotiated. The time for Unicorns and cake is over. Their move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭brickster69

All roads lead to Rome.

Love the comment by Tusk. More than warranted with the vile nonsense coming out of the UK.
    Enzokk wrote: »
    The BBC may have completely lost the plot and gone all tabloid.

https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1093133139071983616

They are implying that Tusk is saying all those that voted for Brexit has a special place in hell when he said those that promoted it without a plan. There is very little excuse for this from the BBC.

If you accept shoddy journalism on one topic, you have to accept it for the other. Don't go complaining about it when it goes against you. (not you specifically but plenty on here)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Just an update, the BBC has changed their title and it now reads:

Donald Tusk: Special place in hell for Brexiteers without a plan

Donald Tusk: Special place in hell for Brexiteers without a plan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Ah take the train.

Your indignation is not warranted and is a useless sidetrack to the real issue which is the UK's inability to come to a common position on Brexit and negotiate in good faith.

This is all due to the shambles in Westminster and the shocking performance of May.

If he's on one of Grayling's trains he'll be late ;)

Much of this project is founded in exceptionalism. And the one thing about exceptionalism is that it is always found out.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Emotive and indignant, my favourite.

The language today was necessarily robust - it is very important to clearly signal to the UK parliament that the WA will not be renegotiated. The time for Unicorns and cake is over. Their move.

Not indignant. Bemused.

Why do Europeans hop and seethe because some Brits don’t subscribe to a pan-European identity? Are we really that integral to it?

Since you’ve decided to add something that is (arguably) more substantive to your post, if you see that kind of language as necessarily robust then I respectfully disagree. I think it will turn out to be a very counterproductive outburst for which the Taoiseach might not be overly thankful for behind closed doors, despite the handshakes and grinning for the cameras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Ye did not give one toss to the hardship ye’re spurious stupid vote was going to cause on this island.

And ye’re argument is stupid ye have freedom ye have sovereignty as much as ever ye will have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

He didn't forget anything other than that you treat all mics as potentially live. He has no control over the mics.

At least his comment was accurate and not embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Not indignant. Bemused.

Why do Europeans hop and seethe because some Brits don’t subscribe to a pan-European identity? Are we really that integral to it?

Since you’ve decided to add something that is (arguably) more substantive to your post, if you see that kind of language as necessarily robust then I respectfully disagree. I think it will turn out to be a very counterproductive outburst for which the Taoiseach might not be overly thankful for behind closed doors, despite the handshakes and grinning for the cameras.

I haven't noticed anyone hopping or seething. Tusk, Varadker and Barnier have all been pretty calm and collected but it must be incredibly frustrating trying negotiate with a completely dysfuctional UK government.

People are frustrated, not because they're leaving, but because of the way they're leaving and harming everyone along the way willfully.

The EU's countries have done nothing to deserve this outlandish political stance from the UK. I'd make analogies to marriages or businesses to try make it more understandable but I doubt there's much point.

MadYaker wrote: »
    I haven't noticed anyone hopping or seething. Tusk, Varadker and Barnier have all been pretty calm and collected but it must be incredibly frustrating trying negotiate with a completely dysfuctional UK government.

There was a guy earlier today who was clearly irritated that some british cars don’t have an EU flag emblem on the registration plate!

Tusk has just compared those who lead the Brexit campaign to people we believe are destined for ‘a special place in hell’ - rapists, murderers, abusers, etc

I understand that people here are loyal and grateful to Tusk because he has gone into bat for Ireland in the media countless times over the past couple of years - but these comments are as unhelpful, nasty, and divisive as any comparison of the EU to the USSR.

If talks break down entirely at this point, Tusk will not be blameless.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

There was a guy earlier today who was clearly irritated that some british cars don’t have an EU flag emblem on the registration plate!

Tusk has just compared those who lead the Brexit campaign to people we believe are destined for ‘a special place in hell’ - rapists, murderers, abusers, etc

I understand that people here are loyal and grateful to Tusk because he has gone into bat for Ireland in the media countless times over the past couple of years - but these comments are as unhelpful, nasty, and divisive as any comparison of the EU to the USSR.

You mean me - about 60 minutes ago? :D

Nice attempt at being reductive though. I doubt your memory is that foggy.

Clearly irritated. Yeah.

It's fairly clear who is the 'irritated' one in this thread. It isn't me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Fair play to tusk for letting rip.he told it as it was/is.the British media will be full on anti EU tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭bennya

You're the one mentioning the above categories, not Donald Tusk nor anyone else. Projection perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Without a plan. Brexit without a plan. And he is right, they have caused untold damage already and it gets worse every day as the economy keep bleeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,665 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

How many times has the EU its members and members of the negotiating team been compared to soviet russia or nazi germany by brexiteers? i dont think its possible to count anymore, this is the first time anyone from the EU has said anything like this and suddenly you have a problem with it?

Also he specifically referenced those who campaigned for it without a plan, stop reading the BBC headlines theyve jumped the shark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

This is one of the fundamental problems of Brexit.
    An inability to quote any statement or fact correctly.
    Tusk referred specifically to "those who promoted Brexit without even a sketch of a plan of how to carry it out safely"
    He was not referring to those who promoted Brexit and who had a plan, or sketch of one.

How can we take posters seriously if they're either unable or unwilling to quote accurately?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Panrich

This needed to be said. There has been too much pandering to absolute knobs like Johnson, Farage and Rees Mogg whose lack of any credible plan for their vanity project will cause untold hardship and suffering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

I'm glad Tusk said that, been of the opinion for some time that no deal is the only show in town. Who knows what damage the UK could do to the EU from within with their cancerous media and some of their elected reps. The EU is better off without them, so will we be in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Tusk's comments while true are extremely unhelpful. They will strengthen the resolve of Brexiters and push us further away from a reasonable agreement, and indeed a deal ahead of March 29th. The timing is especially off ahead of TM's visit tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,490 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

No the posters was not irritated that some British cars don't have the emblem, they were pointing it out as an example of how the UK have always wanted to stay outside the EU. They were one of the biggest members, but very clearly not actively engaged. They saw it as purely one way. Eu should change to adapt to UK, but they won't change anything on their side.

On Tusk, he never mentioned rapist etc, so that is your own take on it. But I would certainly feel, that if there is a hell, then actively lying to effect change that you know will adversely effect large amounts of people in your country is a pretty serious doing. Not on a personal level such as those you listed, but causing such widespread confusion, fear, worry and stress is not a trivial matter. Think of all those that rely on cancer treatment, or daily medications that have for months been listening as the notion of shortages are treated as a simple side effect of Brexit, which will be overcome with a bit of daring-do. Or the workers in Sunderland now fearing for their jobs after doing everything asked of them. Or the pensioners living in Spain now being told they may not be able to stay, or have medical coverage if they do.

All this because they didn't bother to think through their dream. Brexit. The start and end of the position.

If the talks fail, neither side will be entirely blameless, but one side clearly holds the vast majority of the blame. And that blame goes back years to when the MPs failed to inform the public of the positives of the EU, and used it as a punching bag to avoid their own blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Tusk's comments while true are extremely unhelpful. They will strengthen the resolve of Brexiters and push us further away from a reasonable agreement, and indeed a deal ahead of March 29th. The timing is especially off ahead of TM's visit tomorrow.

No real sense though that she is going to present any meaningful proposal tomorrow, in which case she could have left a visit until next week, and/or postponed the HoC vote.

It does lessen their expectations of the EU folding at the last minute. That's a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

They helped create it, so yes. The English, and not the British, seem to be in great internal conflict about their part in that identity. They conflate English with British, and that version of British must never be a sub-culture of any wider identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Two years and eight months since the Referendum.The people to blame for that are the masters of dysfunction in the House Of Commons,not Donald Tusk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Jaysus.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement