Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ireland still wants a deal.

As reiterated by Varadkar and Coveney (and anyone else from government) we have a deal. That's it. They either sign it or they face a disorderly exit. The political declaration is open for business, as explained many times. Their move.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yes, but Ireland wants the EU to survive this more.

Ireland will suffer due to a no-deal Brexit, and the EU will be mildly impacted by it. Therefore a deal of some kind would be good for all concerned. That doesn't mean that you agree to a deal that would harm you even more than no deal would.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Tusk has just compared those who lead the Brexit campaign to people we believe are destined for ‘a special place in hell’ - rapists, murderers, abusers, etc

There are probably many "special places" in Hell, the Brexiters will wander over in the brimstone and fire special place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,151 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

He's not rallying his side. He is telling the other side that games are over, show your plan or bugger off. Don't rip up our agreement and expect us to cave

I'm 100% behind Tusk on this one. He's had it up to here with the hard Brexiteers. There's only a few weeks to go to the exit and there's not the slightest hint of compromise or budging. He may as well call the fraudsters out now, he has nothing to lose.

I would absolute love if he came out and said he regretted the court's decision that Brexit was reversible. How would everyone who claims the EU is making it difficult to leave on purpose respond to that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fl4reixb6wyvkm

Can you recommend a report or link to a pdf that dives into deep detail on the split between voters of both leave and remain and an analysis of their motivations?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Tusk's comment is very humorous in that you can see how it's going to dominate the narrative for a couple of days. It's much easier to 'debate' it than navigate the nebulous alternative arrangements and May's speech yesterday. I'm sure there's a Question Time klaxon gone off - they'll talk about anything but the Northern Ireland complications.

It's probably the only time the Brexiteers are going to listen to anything he says and then twist it and misquote it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Can you recommend a report or link to a pdf that dives into deep detail on the split between voters of both leave and remain and an analysis of their motivations?

For the motivations of current everyday no-deal voters a delve into the massive disinformation campaign ongoing right now is needed.

It is echoing back and forth between certain politicians and the internet.

Not being tongue in cheek. That's the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Tusk has just compared those who lead the Brexit campaign to people we believe are destined for ‘a special place in hell’ - rapists, murderers, abusers, etc

It's a turn of phrase and frequently used as hyperbole as much for mundane offences as serious ones. I've heard people say it of those who break wind in an elevator. There's an eagerness to be offended by this which is painfully transparent.

That being said, the recklessness of those who promoted Brexit will cause great hardship to large numbers of people across Ireland, the UK and Europe. Perhaps even globally. It's not cold-blooded murder, but it is certainly negligent harm on an grand scale. More comparable to presiding over a huge industrial accident, or incompetent handling of the response to a natural disaster.
    Sammy Wilson with a typically measured response...

https://twitter.com/eastantrimmp/status/1093126875524878336?s=19

The replies are mostly roasting Sammy for his spin. That's something, I guess.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

lawred2 wrote: »
    trident wielding!? :D

It's funny but I don't quite know what Sammy thinks it means...
    That's the problem - Sammy doesn't think!
    True. We want the deal that was agreed.
    The UK on the other hand has no idea what it wants :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

All those tweets from Tusk are just bluster. FAKE NEWS. Like the brexiters predict, the EU are gonna throw us under the bus and cave on the back stop any minute now.

*Looks at watch*

Yeah, any minute now. :pac:
    Please sit down.
    You're in for a long wait. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I hate the idea of it but yeah. I really hope it was bluster, from Leo, about there being no planning around a "No Deal" because it is now time to begin to implement such a plan

Ireland have been contingency planning for over a year. The EU will not be caught on the hop and will assist where needed. We'll be as ready as we can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    As reiterated by Varadkar and Coveney (and anyone else from government) we have a deal. That's it. They either sign it or they face a disorderly exit. The political declaration is open for business, as explained many times. Their move.
    Well that is the political rhetoric. We don't have a deal, unfortunately, in the sense of something that we can hold the UK to (and vice versa). There are no mutual obligations in force.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Why an extension if requested won't be a dead cert to be granted.
    https://www.cer.eu/insights/can-uk-extend-brexit-deadline
    There is growing frustration with the British political class on the continent. EU officials and European politicians have long seen Brexit as an unwelcome distraction from other pressing challenges; instead of working out how to hold back the populist tide in the upcoming European Parliament elections, they have been forced to spend time reacting to the latest twists and turns in the Brexit saga. In fact, some flinch at the thought of the UK hanging around in the EU for even a little bit longer than planned. After two years of Brexit wrangling, the UK’s positive contributions to the European project, such as its support for the single market and enlargement, are fading into history.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Well that is the political rhetoric. We don't have a deal, unfortunately, in the sense of something that we can hold the UK to (and vice versa). There are no mutual obligations in force.

Actually there is a deal that the UK and the EU agreed on and called it a Working Agreement. This is the deal on which the UK is currently reneging.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

There absolutely are mutual obligations in force, the EU and UK signed a basic agreement or "deal" on the backstop in December 2017.

Your attempts to rewrite history are failing massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Christy42

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Again. We can't exactly force the UK to sign an agreement. We have no idea what would be acceptable to them and their protests around the current one is with the soft border. Since we want the soft border as part of any agreement we can't concede any ground and still get anything we want.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

VinLieger wrote: »
    There absolutely are mutual obligations in force, the EU and UK signed a basic agreement or "deal" on the backstop in December 2017.

Well, no, the UK are in no way obliged to sign that deal.

But they can whistle for any other deal - it's that or nothing, and they can't leave with nothing.

Or they could, in theory, not leave at all, but Tusk's remarks seem to indicate that the EU side have given up hope on that.

But then, of course, he might just be saying "It's too late, the UK can't decide to stay" simply because the UK will take offense and do the opposite of what he says. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

That's the problem - Sammy doesn't think!

True. We want the deal that was agreed.
    The UK on the other hand has no idea what it wants :rolleyes:

I suspect he recently went to see Aquaman.

Clearly we are on a straight road to no-deal at this point, the UK can avert this if they want but it s looking less and less likely. Perhaps comments like Tusks today will provoke a little backbone amongst the sensible members of the HoC, perhaps not, but it's no-deal unless they get up and do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭breatheme

The UK can either rescind Article 50, accept the deal on the table or crash out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

You can see what Tusk is trying to do here, but it looks like it's only going to entrench the hardline Brexiteers even more. Looks like a no deal situation is inevitable at this stage. It's getting messier and messier by the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

breatheme wrote: »
    The UK can either rescind Article 50, accept the deal on the table or crash out.

The question is when will the EU say enough is enough. Too little too late from the UK

They can not get more entrenched, it can make the others wake up to the fact that they are walking on a knife edge at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

breatheme wrote: »
    The first two of these options would be good from Ireland's perspective.

The question is when will the EU say enough is enough. Too little too late from the UK

I think that they just did say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

The first two of these options would be good from Ireland's perspective.

I am not sure there is a way back for relations between Ireland and the UK. The UK lads seem very bitter....never forget stuff. At this point I personally think they have to crash out and be in a position that they need us for a while instead of having the feeling that they won and rubbing our noses in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/02/tusk-selmayr-and-the-eus-twitter-diplomacy/

An interesting article from Fraser Nelson of the Spectator today in light of the twitter (un)diplomacy we are witnessing more and more from Trump and the EU.

I hope people read it even if they have a distrust for the Spectator as a publication as it definitely makes some compelling points about the use of twitter not just to spread key messages, but also to engage in ‘trolling’

I think it’s unwise and unhelpful. The ‘one-upmanship’ strategy of the EU on social media leaves a bitter taste in the mouth for me with stunts like the sneaky ‘no cherry picking’ Snapchat ambush on Theresa May.

But that’s just a personal opinion obviously, it just seems unnecessarily sneaky

Do people mind that the likes of Selmayr and Sabine Weyand, as unelected civil servants, are manoeuvring themselves into being social media champions of the European Union almost, or is it simply the new normal for international diplomacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Whats hilarious about the whole thing is how much they seem to think this is all being done in a vacuum.

The rest of the world is watching them royally screw this up as well as how much they have been acting in bad faith. Every other country they plan on getting trade deals with is thinking two things right now, 1 they can't be trusted to follow through on anything they say and 2 they couldn't negotiate their way out of a paper bag.

Just look at the rumblings already coming from the states saying how their watching the **** they are pulling and their actions will have consequences in any future deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

From The Guardian live blog
    Q: Do you agree with what Donald Tusk said?

Juncker says he believes in heaven. He has never seen hell, apart from when he is doing his job here.

Sounds like an agreement to me, though phrased slightly more diplomatically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/02/tusk-selmayr-and-the-eus-twitter-diplomacy/

An interesting article from Fraser Nelson of the Spectator today in light of the twitter (un)diplomacy we are witnessing more and more from Trump and the EU.

I hope people read it even if they have a distrust for the Spectator as a publication as it definitely makes some compelling points about the use of twitter not just to spread key messages, but also to engage in ‘trolling’

I think it’s unwise and unhelpful. The ‘one-upmanship’ strategy of the EU on social media leaves a bitter taste in the mouth for me with stunts like the sneaky ‘no cherry picking’ Snapchat ambush on Theresa May.

But that’s just a personal opinion obviously, it just seems unnecessarily sneaky

Do people mind that the likes of Selmayr and Sabine Weyand, as unelected civil servants, are manoeuvring themselves into being social media champions of the European Union almost, or is it simply the new normal for international diplomacy?

I for one had not heard much about Selmayr until yesterday, as for Sabine Weyand, anything I see on her is that her speaking publiclly on Brexit is very unusual. I don't think it is in any way accurate to suggest that either of them are engaged in a social media championship.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement