Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

blanch152 wrote: »
    Well, if you rule out May's deal, rule out no-deal and rule out an extension, the only option left is Article 50 withdrawal. That is the option that the HoC will be left with as each of the votes fail.

I think they would need a referendum before proceeding with a withdrawal of A50. Otherwise it would be just ignoring the wishes of over 17 million people.

I think there is a strong Brexit fatigue in the UK. Everyone wants to get it over with.

Withdrawal of A50 would probably mean another referendum and another year of much the same old debates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I'm sure he and his voters would say exactly the same about some of our politicians. We're experts in the field at electing them.

No they wouldn't, they wouldn't know who our politicians are in the first place.

mrbrianj wrote: »
    We are not doing as badly in that regard as the UK at the moment.

We have rival politicians supporting the government, the outcome of which may harm them in the next election, just because of how critical a time it is. Ye have politicians putting their party first regardless of how critical a time it is.

Its a bit more complicated in the UK.

They held a referendum. It was divisive. Over 17 million voted to leave, based on a variety of reasons, ranging from those on the far left to those on the far right. All views have to be reflected.

That's how a healthy democracy works.

How an unhealthy democracy/dictatorship works is everyone thinks the same and votes the same.

The HoC might not be perfect, but if I was british I would take it over the rubber stamping parliaments so common in other parts of the world, where the president or leader decides course and everyone immediately falls into line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

J Mysterio wrote: »
    No, they are not idiots. They are sick of 2 years+ of bullshìt from the UK and they are outlining that they will not extend the withdrawal period for another few months of bullshìt without a good reason. The only ones who look idiotic at the moment is the UK PM, her cabinet and Parliament.

Agreed. HoC has to make a decision: Abandon, Accept or Crash out by choice or default but the point is MAKE A DECISION. There simply cannot be a neverending process of BS if they are incapable of a decision theres other things that need to be done and honestly everyone is tired of it. Unless the solution is an A50 withdrawal and new referendum along with British participation in the EU parliment its better off just letting them crash out and dealing with the consequences as bad as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Major drop in the number of UK students studying European languages in schools, which suggests universities there have dropped them as a course requirement:

https://www.bbc.com/news/education-47334374

That’s happened here too- not a snowballs chance in hell I’d have studied French given the option not to- I did the Leaving in 2001 and a third language was a basic entry requirement for University still. Think it went soon after that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,974 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Those EU leaders are idiots if they said that.

This just plays right into the hands of hardline brexiteers who claim the EU never give anything back to the UK. It also means the extension vote may fail in the HoC.

What change are they looking for?

And they say the EU have played all this perfectly!

Why should we in the EU be responsible for people who believe what is essentially a spin on events? The EU has conceded to the UK in an attempt to get a deal.
    The UK can think what it wants, believe what lies it wants.

The writing is on the wall...the EU have had enough and want to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I think they would need a referendum before proceeding with a withdrawal of A50. Otherwise it would be just ignoring the wishes of over 17 million people.

Leaving ignores the wishes of 16 million voters, so much of a muchness.

Leaving ignores the wishes of 16 million voters, so much of a muchness.

The losers in a referendum are usually ignored, you only have to look at recent referenda in Ireland where the losers were told to get over it and accept it. Thats democracy I guess.

I will put it another way so. If article 50 is withdrawn the referendum result which was a mandate for the UK government and HoC to negotiate withdrawal would be ignored. Not very democratic!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

They held a referendum. It was divisive. Over 17 million voted to leave, based on a variety of reasons, ranging from those on the far left to those on the far right. All views have to be reflected.

They held a simplistic referendum that was ill defined and the voters were misinformed. In Ireland, the Referendum Commission would have ensured that the wording reflected the substance of the referendum and that the voters were impartially informed of both arguments.
    How an unhealthy democracy/dictatorship works is everyone thinks the same and votes the same.

The HoC might not be perfect, but if I was british I would take it over the rubber stamping parliaments so common in other parts of the world, where the president or leader decides course and everyone immediately falls into line.

The HoC is very imperfect and unhealthy because of its archaic electoral system, i.e. FPTP, which almost always ensures that only one of two parties can ever hold power. In Ireland, we have PR which ensures that different shades of political opinion are represented in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Major drop in the number of UK students studying European languages in schools, which suggests universities there have dropped them as a course requirement:

https://www.bbc.com/news/education-47334374

Major drop in languages because of the UK exam subject choices for secondary school are more limited than years ago. Poorer schools, less funding, years of tory government austerity policies feeding into local councils mean less education on offer so school timetables are tougher in relation to what kids can do.

My nephew in the UK is brilliant at german, fluent as a little kid, but couldn't take it as a GCSE exam subject because it clashed with geography and, as it's a fav subject of his, he had to choose.

Makes Brexit even more of a farce: the country is weak and poor education and training maintains that weakness and makes for an insular future.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    Major drop in languages because of the UK exam subject choices for secondary school are more limited than years ago. Poorer schools, less funding, years of tory government austerity policies feeding into local councils mean less education on offer so school timetables are tougher in relation to what kids can do.

My nephew in the UK is brilliant at german, fluent as a little kid, but couldn't take it as a GCSE exam subject because it clashed with geography and, as it's a fav subject of his, he had to choose.

Makes Brexit even more of a farce: the country is weak and poor education and training maintains that weakness and makes for an insular future.

Ironically that's what they are doing with our system. Removing core subjects, offering "choice" and then complaining when literacy and numeracy levels drop
    When the 3 it's are replaced with 400 hrs of well-being.

They held a simplistic referendum that was ill defined and the voters were misinformed. In Ireland, the Referendum Commission would have ensured that the wording reflected the substance of the referendum and that the voters were impartially informed of both arguments.

The HoC is very imperfect and unhealthy because of its archaic electoral system, i.e. FPTP, which almost always ensures that only one of two parties can ever hold power. In Ireland, we have PR which ensures that different shades of political opinion are represented in government.

The voting system was designed to favour large parties like Labour and Conservatives and a single party government. I guess the idea was more stability but it hasn't worked out so well recently.
    I haven't heard if Labour want to reform first past the post but if they did they'd lose seats in a new system.
    As for a simplistic referendum, I doubt the majority of UK voters can process more than one or two big ideas such as curbing migration.
    That and the Remain side was the establishment side. The people used the referendum to give them a good kicking. Much like Lisbon 1 in Ireland if I remember.

The lesson for the UK establishment is don't hold a referendum if you can't deal with losing it.
    Then again it was right to give the people a say.

Overall UK voters need to take responsibility for their own actions.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Otherwise it would be just ignoring the wishes of over 17 million people.
    What about the wishes of the approx 50 million that did not vote to ruin the UK through the Brexit folly?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

The losers in a referendum are usually ignored, you only have to look at recent referenda in Ireland where the losers were told to get over it and accept it. Thats democracy I guess.

I will put it another way so. If article 50 is withdrawn the referendum result which was a mandate for the UK government and HoC to negotiate withdrawal would be ignored. Not very democratic!
    If the winning side of a campaign has been shown to have acted illegally, and to have now been shown to have spread provable lies, would putting a second question to the population be a more democratic solution though?

If you agree to that, then withdrawal of article 50 would be a requirement

What about the wishes of the approx 50 million that did not vote to ruin the UK through the Brexit folly?

You clearly don't understand how referenda work and whose eligible to vote.
    Again if the UK electorate made a mistake they need to man up and live with it. They wanted a vote, got it and voted a particular way.

Anyways this is a tangent. Like I said if article 50 is withdrawen its unlikely to happen without a second referendum which adds another year to this absolute nightmare. Does anyone want to see the Brexit debates rehashed again for another year. And the Remainers are/were p*ss poor debaters. Its possible Farage and co would wipe the floor with them again. If he doesn't go on holiday!

If the winning side of a campaign has been shown to have acted illegally, and to have now been shown to have spread provable lies, would putting a second question to the population be a more democratic solution though?

If you agree to that, then withdrawal of article 50 would be a requirement

If memory serves one of the lies peddled by the winning side in an EU rederendum here was that if we voted yes we'd be signed up to an EU army. Remember that?

Where is that EU army by the way?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Can you please explain how all those views will be reflected when the only choices on offer are Hard Brexit or May's deal ?

With 30 day's to go there isn't time for a third option unless the UK revokes Article 50 for a generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Christy42

Otherwise it would be just ignoring the wishes of over 17 million people.
    Honestly at a certain point you have to realise that people voting to jump off a cliff is just a bad idea.

It is also not helped by the vagueness of the vote. Our SSM and abortion referendum clearly showed what was going to be in effect before the referendum.

With this what was the wishes of those voting leave? Did they soft or hard or no deal? Did they want a Norway style arrangement (as promised during the referendum) or did they want a referendum on the final choices (again promised by the leave side).

People keep saying to go with the wishes of 17m people but they only have a vague idea of what those people voted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Corbyn amendment defeated 323-240, so now Labour will swing behind a second referendum.

• Advertisement

You clearly don't understand how referenda work and whose eligible to vote.
    Again if the UK electorate made a mistake they need to man up and live with it. They wanted a vote, got it and voted a particular way.
    I'm well used to referenda.
    Firstly, no other country would provide a referendum on something so huge as leaving the EU. It's too big a change to place in one binary choice.
    The levels of misinformation from the political parties was unprecedented. We have a good referendum commission who provide facts impartially. The UK have no such body which was a massive issue.
    We don't have the fraud involved in the Brexit referendum but I believe that we're it to happen it would have been investigated and actions.
    The UK electorate didn't make a mistake IMO. They were sold a lemon by those who they trusted. They were lied to.
    I'm used to referenda. I'm not used to the likes of the Brexit ref with its stupid choice and illegal manipulationif the electorate.

Nonetheless, I'm correct in that approx 50 million UK citizens did not choose Brexit so stop with your crap about how the "wishes" of 17million peopke cannot be ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I think there is a strong Brexit fatigue in the UK. Everyone wants to get it over with.

Withdrawal of A50 would probably mean another referendum and another year of much the same old debates.

What about if they withdrew A50 (due to lack of time for a referendum) and legally committed to holding another referendum in 12 months based on a concrete proposal that is workable and deliberable with the EU?

The ticking timebomb scenario does not make for good policy decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 HugoRune

As I'm sure you're aware, it was only after the referendum that Parliament in the UK started to argue about what the vote to exit the EU actually meant. Theresa May decided that people voted to leave the single market (no they didn't!) and leave the customs union (no they didn't). If parliament still cannot agree after more than two years what the question meant, then it's impossible to know what those 17m wanted. The only thing you can know is that those 17m agree with each other about as much as the House of Commons does.

Reminds me of the Douglas Adams' question and answer about Life the Universe and Everything. Spoiler in case there's someone in the universe who hasn't yet read it:
    They asked a vague question to which they got an answer which forced them to seek a better question

Christy42 wrote: »
    Honestly at a certain point you have to realise that people voting to jump off a cliff is just a bad idea.

It is also not helped by the vagueness of the vote. Our SSM and abortion referendum clearly showed what was going to be in effect before the referendum.

With this what was the wishes of those voting leave? Did they soft or hard or no deal? Did they want a Norway style arrangement (as promised during the referendum) or did they want a referendum on the final choices (again promised by the leave side).

People keep saying to go with the wishes of 17m people but they only have a vague idea of what those people voted for.

So politicians and Eurocrats know best?

Sometimes you also have to give the people a choice. They had their say, they now need to own their decision.

If one good thing comes from this its that people will engage with politics more closely in future and inform themselves of all the details.

To revoke A50 means another referendum imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

It really is frustrating to be offered a link as proof of something only to follow it and realise that the poster probably hasn't read the linked article. I'm guessing you didn't realise that it was written 18 months ago either? Let me give you an example as to why it is so ludicrously wrong. From the article:

We were told companies would leave the UK in their droves, especially in the car industry. There is no sign of this, and UK car manufacturing achieving its 12th successive month of growth in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

And Labour support SNP amendment "ruling out leaving the EU without a deal, regardless of exit date."

Ah yes. They claimed that there would be a recession and there wasn't. :rolleyes:
    FFS you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel if you think an article by Matthew Ellery is something to cite

I'm well used to referenda.
    Firstly, no other country would provide a referendum on something so huge as leaving the EU. It's too big a change to place in one binary choice.
    The levels of misinformation from the political parties was unprecedented. We have a good referendum commission who provide facts impartially. The UK have no such body which was a massive issue.
    We don't have the fraud involved in the Brexit referendum but I believe that we're it to happen it would have been investigated and actions.
    The UK electorate didn't make a mistake IMO. They were sold a lemon by those who they trusted. They were lied to.
    I'm used to referenda. I'm not used to the likes of the Brexit ref with its stupid choice and illegal manipulationif the electorate.

Nonetheless, I'm correct in that approx 50 million UK citizens did not choose Brexit so stop with your crap about how the "wishes" of 17million peopke cannot be ignored
    Ireland would have to hold a referendum if we were to ever leave the EU (unless it kicked us out or something) but the sensible process is to agree terms with the EU first and then put that to a vote to the people afterwards. Vote first, ask questions after is a recipe for anarchy.

Actually, not even anarchists would agree with that. In Anarchy, (synicalism) each democratic unit sends delegates to negotiate a decision with a wider collection who then carry back their results to be ratified by the collective.

It is arse backwards for the ratification to happen first and then have the delegates make all the important decisions about what the deal involves.

To take your point on it's face, That would make it worse, not better.

A referendum where both sides are lying is even less democratic than one where only one side is lying.

How are the people supposed to make an informed choice when all the information is fundamentally tainted?

• Advertisement

If memory serves one of the lies peddled by the winning side in an EU rederendum here was that if we voted yes we'd be signed up to an EU army. Remember that?

Where is that EU army by the way?
    Never happened, and the 2nd referendum where people voted differently was fought on the basis that those lies were corrected with additional assurances from the EU that Ireland's neutrality would be protected.

If the EU had come back and said that we should vote yes pretending that there wouldn't be an EU army, and immediately afterwards started building tank bases in Ireland, then this would have been a fundamentally undemocratic vote.

In the Scottish independence referendum, the Remain campaign said that the only way to guarantee Scotland remained in the EU was to stay in the UK.. This is a perfect example of a perversion of democracy and the Scottish indepence party have justification in calling for another vote.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement