Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,992 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Ignore Coburn - the biggest racist in Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I always ignore him, but it's all amusing to watch him stroke out on Ireland issues, he's doubling down too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,286 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

To Article 50 presumably. From the link:

"Britain leaves without a deal on March 29th" versus "Brexit is delayed until after March 29th"

I get that.

They want an extension to do what?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

lawred2 wrote: »
    I get that.

To have another vote on a deal that won’t pass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭maebee

Unionist farmer from Fermanagh very disillusioned with his elected reps, saying that NI will be resigned to a wasteland.
    "People need bread & butter on the table, they can't eat a flag." He admits that Dublin has been more concerned about NI than Westminster has. Worth a listen:

Lunchtime Live - from 12.08

https://www.newstalk.com/listen-back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,138 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Spellman had some rambling explanation relaying an email she got from a constituent, but really whip pressure IWT.
    She was withdrawing her motion at the wrong time and cannot act for her co signatories. But it takes the heat out of it for the Govn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Meanwhile Boris has gone on talk radio and commented that money spent on historical child sex abuse inquiries is "£60m spaffed up the wall!"

For those not familiar with certain vulgar colloquialisms, spaffed means to ejaculate wildly. Needless to say carnage has erupted.

Oh BoJo, you are a legend.

Legend? No, he wasted more than £50m pounds on a non-existent bridge that is nothing more than a vanity project. He has some nerve to call an important investigation as wasting money when he had no problem "spaffing it up the wall" for his own projects.

An absurd vanity project for our age – Boris Johnson’s garden bridge
    An itemised bill for its failure has just arrived: £53m in total, of which £2.76m (including VAT) went to the designer Thomas Heatherwick; £12.7m to the engineers Arup; £2.3m to lawyers; and £1.7m went on the salaries of the executives who didn’t in the end execute the project. It cost £1.3m to survey the riverbed and look for unexploded wartime bombs. The project’s adequate but unexceptional website cost £161,000.

The largest sum for this great patriotic endeavour – £21.4m – went to the suspiciously foreign-sounding joint venture of Bouygues Travaux Publics and Cimolai SpA, which won the tender to build the bridge in 2016. They had to be paid for their costs in gearing up for the works and then winding down. They were appointed despite substantial doubts about the viability of the project, at a time when neither the funds nor all the permissions needed were in place. One argument for doing so was that the bridge had to be built quickly, so as not to get in the way of the Thames Tideway tunnel, the giant sewer being constructed in the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Water John wrote: »
    Spellman had some rambling explanation relaying an email she got from a constituent, but really whip pressure IWT.
    She was withdrawing her motion at the wrong time and cannot act for her co signatories. But it takes the heat out of it for the Govn't.

Here is some information on the Spellman amendment and what has happened apparently.

https://twitter.com/politicalhackuk/status/1105888357425524736

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

maebee wrote: »
    Unionist farmer from Fermanagh very disillusioned with his elected reps, saying that NI will be resigned to a wasteland.
    "People need bread & butter on the table, they can't eat a flag." He admits that Dublin has been more concerned about NI than Westminster has. Worth a listen:

Lunchtime Live - from 12.08

https://www.newstalk.com/listen-back

Its these people the likes of the DUP are selling out for their ideological delusions and why they're utterly shooting their own heads off with their antics. Would certainly love to hear what that guy would think of Sammy Shítstirrers little chippy comment too and its people like them that wouod seriously consider a UI if presented with the option.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I get that.

Dunno. You'll have to ask YouGov!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

This is a little heartbreaking. Don't think it will embed unfortunately.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu8lU4NjHUx/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=embed_loading_state_control

• Registered Users Posts: 24,286 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Dunno. You'll have to ask YouGov!

Stupid poll in my opinion. An extension isn't an endgame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

J Mysterio wrote: »
    This is a little heartbreaking. Don't think it will embed unfortunately.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu8lU4NjHUx/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=embed_loading_state_control

Thought it was real until the unicorn drawing, that’s one sarcastic 6 year old.

Water John wrote: »

It's still up there though and can still be voted upon. It's a mess, Sky are even confused as to what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Infini wrote: »
    Its these people the likes of the DUP are selling out for their ideological delusions and why they're utterly shooting their own heads off with their antics. Would certainly love to hear what that guy would think of Sammy Shtirrers little chippy comment too and its people like them that wouod seriously consider a UI if presented with the option.

Unfortunately I think these people are the minority. Was listening to the Nolan Show and Talkback on BBC NI today and there's no indication of the unionist public being unhappy with the DUP. A few callers trotting out the line "nobody knows what's going to happen".

A recent Lucid Talk poll in January showed 65% of unionists preferred No Deal to 25% for May's deal. I'm not sure that number will have moved much in the last few weeks.

As Paisley showed last night on Newsnight, the DUP don't care about what the majority of NI thinks - "it's a sectarian headcount" in his own words - only what their base thinks; so as long as the polls show most unionists are with the DUP message, the DUP won't budge an inch.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

New odds from Jon Worth:
    -No Deal 32%
    -Gen Election (req Art 50 ext.) 23%
    -May's Deal 1%
    -Spiral of tedium 16%
    -#PeoplesVote (req ext.) 17%
    -Rescind Art50 3%
    -UK in EU until 2020 6%
    https://jonworth.eu/brexit-where-now-the-flow-diagrams/
    If I was betting, I would put money on a General Election

Shelga wrote: »

I did laugh when I saw it today, I'd say a sarcy parent may have suggested it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

HoC debate (member for North West Leicestershire who fought them on the beaches) - Oh boy GATT article 24 invoked again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Shelga wrote: »

Well, thats a little cynical. Could well be little Sophie overheard the adults talking about Brexit (unicorns).

Stupid poll in my opinion. An extension isn't an endgame.

I'm not sure what point you're making?

• Advertisement

More on the direct rule thing, it apparently was May who brought it up. I still don't see it as a threat to the DUP though.

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1105882063373246465?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

https://twitter.com/TheIndGroup/status/1105549441141014531

@Leroy

You mentioned earlier that no one is calling out the fact the Brexit campaign pols have disappeared, leaving ordinary Joe to pay the price.

Soubry did her best to do so it appears

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Hurrache wrote: »
    More on the direct rule thing, it apparently was May who brought it up. I still don't see it as a threat to the DUP though.

The DUP would only be delighted with DR. Any excuse to ditch the Assembly which they have no intention of going back to anyway.

A Lib Dem MP opened up the debate today by asking if any MPs stood to make money out of No Deal. Needless to say, nobody put their hands up.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Havockk

The DUP would most likely be quite happy to return to DR. Not sure how Peston thinks this is pressure being exerted on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Not a threat to the DUP, if anything the DUP would be quite happy with direct rule shutting SF out of power compleatly, but it is definatly a threat to NI's future in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

maebee wrote: »

We have to remember that NI represents but a small fraction of the overall UK population. It's sort of the UK's Carlow. Easily forgotten about, and I worry the UK are only begrudgingly sticking to their commitment to peace in the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,148 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    Not a threat to the DUP, if anything the DUP would be quite happy with direct rule shutting SF out of power compleatly, but it is definatly a threat to NI's future in the UK.
    Well they might stop getting paid their salaries. Not sure they'd be fond of that idea. And of course no more cash for ash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A Lib Dem MP opened up the debate today by asking if any MPs stood to make money out of No Deal. Needless to say, nobody put their hands up.

Anna Soubry (or was it Jess Phillips) alluded to the Minister for the 18th century Dublin based fiscal maneuvering in her speech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

The DUP would love it, up until the point that the Westminster government starts legislating in favour of abortion and same-sex marriage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement