Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend electric folding scooter for end of commute (Mod Note Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

DCC clarifies that they are not calling for a ban on all electric scooters, just ones that are MPVs, which according to them means ones with a motor over 250w and/or exceed 25kph.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-city-council-scooter-ban-15918402.amp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

bk wrote: »

(j) vehicles not equipped with at least one seating position;

would seem to cover standup escooters.

They would come under "Pedestrian controlled MPVs" in Irish law. Still a MPV!
    bk wrote: »
    Ah, here is the statutory instrument bringing the above EU Regulation into Irish law:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2015/si/614/made/en/print

In fairness to the EU, this does much more clearly define what an ebike, etc. are. Though it is still a little wishy washy about escooters. I think it does cover them, but not as clearly and definitively as ebikes. I suspect they will need further clarification from the EU and I suspect that is why the various legal folk are all over the place on this at the moment and don't want to legislate on it, in case the EU goes a different way on it in future.

That regulation covers the issue of certificates of conformity. Every new vehicle needs one before it can be registered for the road.

It does not make a vehicle legal EU wide however. Thats up to the member states domestic laws.

For example, some quads are road legal and you can use them on the road once taxed etc.

But in Ireland you cannot. They are impossible to register for road use even although they have EU type approval and are common in other EU countries.

Another misunderstanding is that once a e-scooter is under a certain Kw its OK.

Thats not the case. It could have 1Kw power but if it is capable of propelling you using the motor alone, its a MPV under current Irish Law and must be registered, taxed etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

beauf wrote: »
    I think we are ok for rocket powered skateboards

Nice 1

Think we discussed jet power before. All OK as far as I can tell! Reaction engine and no mechanical link from the engine to the wheels..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Due to lack of enforcement you'd be unlikely to be stopped anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Ok, after another batch of "is this legal or not" I am back in market...

I did have M365 but moved it on, was going to buy the Kagoo but didnt in end

What is current best in that price range? stil the M365? or new model

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭eagerv

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ok, after another batch of "is this legal or not" I am back in market...

I did have M365 but moved it on, was going to buy the Kagoo but didnt in end

What is current best in that price range? stil the M365? or new model

How did you like the 365?

I'm waiting for the weather to improve a bit before taking the plunge, from what I hear the M365is one of the best apart from the risk of punctures. But would prefer to solid tyres.

Perhaps the new Pro would be better on hills, but wouldn't like to be breaking the law being over 250 Watts:pac::D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

cojomo2 wrote: »
    DCC clarifies that they are not calling for a ban on all electric scooters, just ones that are MPVs, which according to them means ones with a motor over 250w and/or exceed 25kph.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-city-council-scooter-ban-15918402.amp

The challenge with this is how are they meant to test this?

antodeco wrote: »
    The challenge with this is how are they meant to test this?

No different to e bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

cojomo2 wrote: »
    No different to e bikes.

there's no real checking of eBikes, I've seen quite a few people obviously using bikes with "throttles" (which I assume are chipped too).

Is it a major problem? Possibly not but if someone gets hit by one there will probably be some sort of clampdown.

eagerv wrote: »
    How did you like the 365?

I'm waiting for the weather to improve a bit before taking the plunge, from what I hear the M365is one of the best apart from the risk of punctures. But would prefer to solid tyres.

Perhaps the new Pro would be better on hills, but wouldn't like to be breaking the law being over 250 Watts:pac::D

The M365 was good. For my fast ass it struggled a little bit in terms of speed etc and I get bored quickly so I flogged it......

Our office was supposed to close in town and I would have little use, now they have renewed the lease for another 12 months at least so I would use it now:p

• Advertisement

...I did have M365 but moved it on, was going to buy the Kagoo but didnt in end
    l

Can I ask why you didnt go for the Kugoo? I have it a while and no problems. I have replaced the rear wheel with a pneumatic tyre, so I have front and rear suspension, and a rear pneumatic tyre, so fairly comfortable.

For those who do have an eScooter, have you managed to park them anywhere in town? Do you use bike racks or anything?

Can I ask why you didnt go for the Kugoo? I have it a while and no problems. I have replaced the rear wheel with a pneumatic tyre, so I have front and rear suspension, and a rear pneumatic tyre, so fairly comfortable.

For those who do have an eScooter, have you managed to park them anywhere in town? Do you use bike racks or anything?

Havent had a chance to order.....that was about it

The M365 was good. For my fast ass it struggled a little bit in terms of speed etc and I get bored quickly so I flogged it......

Our office was supposed to close in town and I would have little use, now they have renewed the lease for another 12 months at least so I would use it now:p

I'm trying, or not, to picture what is a fast ass?:D:D

eagerv wrote: »
    I'm trying, or not, to picture what is a fast ass?:D:D

undies-holding-this-mans-hammer-450w-462724240.jpg

I want to wipe that image from my mind..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Jude13

I have a segway ninebot which is handy, don;t use it a huge amount now I have a parking space since Im not traveling as much. It's a flyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I use a (Good Quality) U-Lock on mine if parking in town, or outside the shops. It goes without saying that you should only lock it to a closed metal loop and NOT to a pole a thief can lift it over....I have seen this a few times.

The folding section which connects the handle-bar stalk to the chassis is ideal for U-Locking. I would not use a chain lock, because it may be too loose that one time you were rushing. I witnessed an attempted theft of my M365 which was locked inside a dedicated bicycle area. I caught him moving the scooter about and he claimed he had accidentally knocked it over. It wasn't until after he left that I realised he was almost certainly trying to steal it. I won't go into the details.

Stay Free

Jude13 wrote: »
    I have a segway ninebot which is handy, don;t use it a huge amount now I have a parking space since Im not traveling as much. It's a flyer.

How much it come in at? you get the larger battery with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Jude13

I will have to have a look through my order history in a bit to see the price. I got the standard battery as my spins were not very lone. Also if you are looking at this one it has solid wheels which makes the smallest bump a little jaring. Mad speed though and the battery lasts a long time.

So Ive been using the Kugoo S1 for a while now (yet to do the home to work commute). However, Ive done a good few 2 -3 kms runs. Ive replaced the rear wheel with a pneumatic tyre and its made a massive difference. Having a bouncy air tyre and suspension, makes the ride a lot better! Still gaining my own trust on using it, as havent really pushed myself hard on it (not used to 2 wheel transport!). Something I have massively noticed is how unfriendly paths and roads are for cyclists! Even the ridges they have in paths are a deathtrap as the wheels get stuck in them!

I have ordered a second charger (€20) which I will leave in work for more charging. I will have a home and work charger. I need to do a full run with the odometer reset so I can see how much the range is. So far, I am very happy with it. I spent about €150 less then the Xiaomi and being honest, I think I may now have it at least on a par as it. New pneumatic tyre and charger was less than €50, and i have the extra benefit of the suspension also. Obviously the above is based on me never riding the xiaomi but i cant imagine it being significantly better. I still need to figure out the range properly and then I will have my final verdict!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

So Ive been using the Kugoo S1 for a while now (yet to do the home to work commute). However, Ive done a good few 2 -3 kms runs. Ive replaced the rear wheel with a pneumatic tyre and its made a massive difference. Having a bouncy air tyre and suspension, makes the ride a lot better! Still gaining my own trust on using it, as havent really pushed myself hard on it (not used to 2 wheel transport!). Something I have massively noticed is how unfriendly paths and roads are for cyclists! Even the ridges they have in paths are a deathtrap as the wheels get stuck in them!

Now there is something I had not considered ..... extra benefits of more people using these.

Just imagine what it has been like all these years for people with push-carts and more particularly people using wheelchairs especially manual chairs.

In addition people with walking problems get toes caught in such gaps which is mighty dangerous.

If these scooters cause more attention to be paid to surfaces then a lot of people will benefit.

I have ordered a second charger (€20) which I will leave in work for more charging. I will have a home and work charger. I need to do a full run with the odometer reset so I can see how much the range is. So far, I am very happy with it. I spent about €150 less then the Xiaomi and being honest, I think I may now have it at least on a par as it. New pneumatic tyre and charger was less than €50, and i have the extra benefit of the suspension also. Obviously the above is based on me never riding the xiaomi but i cant imagine it being significantly better. I still need to figure out the range properly and then I will have my final verdict!

Just to clarify, the ridges on the paths are the light red "tiles" they have at the end of the cycle lanes. Normally around traffic lights it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I have been using my M365 for the best part of a year. Like the OP, I modified mine by adding a silicon gasket on the folding section and a luggage clip. The cross-bar had become a little loose a couple of times, requiring tightening of the hex bolts.

The brake had become soft.

The rear light had become a bit dull. checking the wiring, I could see some had been worn under the rear mud-guard.

I checked my upgrade kit and found the plastic protective piece I hadn't used when adding the other mods. I put a dab of sealant on the exposed wire and then covered with the mod (similar kit to below).

I removed the luggage clip and it had split :(
    Some glue sorted that. Then thread glue on the hex bolts and an adjustment on the brake line.

Xiaomi-MiJia-M365-Scooter-Mod-Parts-Rubber-Flex.jpg

I highly recommend any M365 owners to do these upgrades....especially the one to protect the brake light. I have read that not doing so can cause a fuse to burn out, rendering the scooter inoperable.

Stay Free

Good thinking. Think I'll have a look under my mud flap and see what way the wiring is. May seal it up with some Sugru if needed!

V1.5.1 firmware released for the m365, anyone any idea whats in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭paruss100

Does anyone know if Dublin bus allow you carry these on folded? Was considering this as an option to travel to work on and head for a few drinks after and bus home. I think it may be a little dangerous after a few pints! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭SteM

paruss100 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Dublin bus allow you carry these on folded? Was considering this as an option to travel to work on and head for a few drinks after and bus home. I think it may be a little dangerous after a few pints! :)

I've seen one in the luggage rack on the 65 from blessington in the morning. A lad gets off at portabello and scoots down beside the canal to grand canal docks.

No way I'd get on one with a few pints on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭paruss100

Great thanks for that, yeah id say they are dangerous enough on their own scooting down the quays without a few pints in you!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,694 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Del2005 wrote: »
    There is no gray area they are a mechanically propelled vehicle and would require a licence, tax and insurance if they could be made road legal.

Forgive me for just seeing this thread but catch me up:

Wouldn't this make a bicycle something that requires a license, tax, and insurance? It is also (bio-)mechanically propelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Overheal wrote: »
    Forgive me for just seeing this thread but catch me up:

Wouldn't this make a bicycle something that requires a license, tax, and insurance? It is also (bio-)mechanically propelled.

No.

Advertisement