Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

Gynoid wrote: »
    I know some have dismissed the haemoglobin preliminary thesis, (which has been put forward by Dr Cameron Kyle Sidell also - I confess I have not watched his video but will soon), as being speculative. It is of course very early to theorise, but given that it specifically contraindicates ventilators as a treatment, I hope speedy peer review is taking place on the thesis and further quick research. Transfusion for haemoglobin purposes, rather than just antibodies, may be better than ventilation going by this idea. A short while ago I know someone who had severe haemorrhage which necessitated emergency transfusion and the symptom preceding going to the ICU was incredibly sudden weakness, and a feeling of burning in muscles if they tried to walk. I have read so many talk of a similar weakness if moving and also chest muscle burning sensation re Covid. Anecdotal, I know! But perhaps there is merit in the theory?
    Here is the pre review paper again

https://chemrxiv.org/articles/COVID-19_Disease_ORF8_and_Surface_Glycoprotein_Inhibit_Heme_Metabolism_by_Binding_to_Porphyrin/11938173

I don't think a transfusion is going to help if you are suffering from ARDS. Sounds very pie in the sky.

NetChat101 wrote: »
    New rules during this time - the pharmacist can give you medicines from a prescription that has gone out of date, without you going back to your GP. They use their discretion in all cases but if it's something you regularly get I wouldn't think you'll have a problem getting it now.

That's is only partially true. Regulations stay in place for drugs of abuse. But yeah, if you are looking for BP medication, T2DM treatment, then it is at the pharmacists discretion.

Benzos, morphine, oxycodone very unlikely to get off an out of date prescription although technically it's at the pharmacist's discretion, would be be bad practice in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Mater ICU now full ..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Why aren’t there public health messages saying that people exercising follow a kind of one way system and should walk on the right side of the road even if there is a footpath.

If everyone walked on the right, then the only reason you would have to pass someone on the same side would be if you were overtaking them, it would hugely reduce the number of times you come into close contact with strangers this reducing the spread of the virus from community contact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    It’s a pity groups out in public aren’t limited to 2. Post on Facebook earlier, father of a family of 5 complaining that people are getting too close to them when they’re out walking. 5 people on a footpath, I can only imagine how difficult it is to pass that gang without coming close, yet they’re the ones complaining.

Limit it to 2 people for the time being, make life easier and safer for all.

I've noticed this, both parents and two or more kids out as group. Such idiots. Split up into groups of 2/3!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

harr wrote: »
    Mater ICU now full ..

That's the original ICU beds, they have the additional ones available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

froog wrote: »
    discouraging checkpoints? laughable. how exactly will that go?

"excuse me sir where are you going?"
    "my holiday home in galway"
    "you really shouldn't you know"
    "nah i'm grand, see ya"
    "bye now"

That's like a scene from Father Ted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Yes apologies I should have added that’s the normal allocation of ICU beds

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Mater ICU now full ..

Just want to confirm this. RTÉ News Now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I don't think a transfusion is going to help if you are suffering from ARDS. Sounds very pie in the sky.

That doctor thinks they're treating the wrong disease and it's not ARDS.

• Advertisement

Yes apologies I should have added that’s the normal allocation of ICU beds

No worries, just to add, the maters original ICU unit is 18 beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

IMO this is promissing as it may well mean we locked down early enough - assuming the goal of lockdown is to ensure:
    * ICUs never run out of capacity
    * Lockdown is not too extreme

Ideally we want the 80% of folks who will get normal mild symptons to catch it and come out the other side (and go back to work) without running out of ICU capactity...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Who's on 3rd?

No Who is on first, I don't know is on 3rd.

schmoo2k wrote: »
    IMO this is promissing as it may well mean we locked down early enough - assuming the goal of lockdown is to ensure:
    * ICUs never run out of capacity
    * Lockdown is not too extreme

Ideally we want the 80% of folks who will get normal mild symptons to catch it and come out the other side (and go back to work) without running out of ICU capactity...

It's still a bad situation when the original 18 ICU beds are full. They can scale up an additional 18 in the high dependency unit, he did mention they can ventilate in additional wards if needed, so it sounds like they have a plan in place. Just hope it doesn't get to a point where the surge capacity is full.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

@The Dazzler

How’s things on your section of the frontline? Hope you’re doing ok.

Morning everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

schmoo2k wrote: »

We still have no idea what are the long term side effects of catching this virus. We don't know if ther'e not any permanent damage made which will only identify itself in months or even years ahead or even in the next generation.

As an example, if the virus would cause a high rate of infertility, would we even know that at this stage? I doubt.

Akrasia wrote: »
    Why aren’t there public health messages saying that people exercising follow a kind of one way system and should walk on the right side of the road even if there is a footpath.

If everyone walked on the right, then the only reason you would have to pass someone on the same side would be if you were overtaking them, it would hugely reduce the number of times you come into close contact with strangers this reducing the spread of the virus from community contact
    That this post gets more complicated as it goes on explains why they don't! The majority are doing what they should be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

The point, or at least one of them, is that severe Covid does not present as typical ARDS. I watched the Dr Cameron videos now, he has been running an ICU Covid unit for the past week. He says the patients do not have the respiratory muscle fatigue that is usually an indicator for ventilation. They have extremely low oxygen saturation, he says ( which is a function of haemoglobin - I have not heard or missed hearing him say haemoglobin, that is from a link to the pre review paper idea). He says the ventilators should not be used to pressurise the lungs to mechanically make the patient breathe, as their lungs can breathe and the mechanical pressure may damage them. The ventilators should be used at low pressure settings but high oxygen settings. There is more, but you can follow yourself. A Dr Gattononi in Gottingen, Germany has published similar opinions that this is not typical ARDS.

Edit the transfusion idea was mine, from a different video where people were discussing haemoglobin. The atypical ARDS and oxygen and different ventilator methids etc is all from other sources

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

is_that_so wrote: »
    That this post gets more complicated as it goes on explains why they don't! The majority are doing what they should be doing.

Ah for **** sake. Passing somebody a few seconds won't get you the virus unless they cough on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Akrasia wrote: »

You mean, like in the States?

Walk on the right side
    Since here in the United States we drive on the right side, walking on the right side feels natural. If everyone can agree to walk on the right side, we can avoid the bob-and-weave dance of sidewalk navigation, and avoid bumping into each other.
    Walk on the edge of narrow sidewalks
    Unless you are walking on a super wide sidewalk, stay near the edge to ensure that there can be a six-foot space between yourself and a passer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Ah for **** sake. Passing somebody a few seconds won't get you the virus unless they cough on you.

And what if they did cough on you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

voluntary wrote: »
    We still have no idea what are the long term side effects of catching this virus. We don't know if ther'e not any permanent damage made which will only identify itself in months or even years ahead or even in the next generation.

As an example, if the virus would cause a high rate of infertility, would we even know that at this stage? I doubt.

Maybe (but there is initial evidence that folks who had it with little to no symptons don't have any lung scarring at least) - but the same argument could be said from a mental and economic standpoint, if we went into complete lockdown with the goal of ensuring no one new contracted it.

Like most things its going to be finding the correct balance in the middle - reasnoble/practicle lockdown and no one dieing because there was not enough ICU / Ventalators available...

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

petes wrote: »
    And what if they did cough on you?

Be 2 metres away FFS

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Yeah, I know. Not sure why you're taking a swing at me as the other poster was suggesting that supercomplicated advice. Been inside too long, maybe? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

Just to add, they have moved non-COVID patients from the ICU to these additional beds so they are not all available.

There is an issue with staff now going forward. ICU nurses are highly trained and the standard is one nurse per patient. This might need to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

SNNUS wrote: »
    Be 2 metres away FFS

Leave out the FFS please, it's use is moronic in this thread.

I was only replying to the poster who said 'unless they cough on you'. There should be no complacency although there is in the small minority.

Everyone should be two metres away.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

voluntary wrote: »

It could also cause you to grow a second head but past experiences with similar viruses show the probability that this will not happen. Why post scaremongering stuff like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

What annoys me with the walking is family groups who take over the whole path and look horrified when they see a single person approaching but will still take up the whole width of the path and still give the bad eye to the single person who is now on the road to avoid them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

ICU in the Mater is at capacity

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement