Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    That little guy in the black waistcoat always creeped me out.

your one playing the school girl looks fifty

i remember fortycoats , only episode that sticks out is where the witch stole one of his coats and he couldnt leave the bed with the dose he got :eek:

episode entitled " thirty nine coats "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

There was a documentary on TV3 some years ago about Irish kids television - still have it on the DVD recorder. Pretty sure it has Fortycoats clips so I imagine some of it is intact.

Here is the RTE Guide announcing the start of it - January 1983. The character of Fortycoats first appeared in Wanderly Wagon in 1979 but wasn't played by Fran Dempsey - instead it was Bill Golding (who previously played Rory). I found that annoying at the time - and still do.

81248329_2667280763500197_7137059838525177856_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=vzNjvhx11R8AX8xPMbt&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-1.fna&oh=bd7763be91b3a96604b377133a3b0326&oe=5ED63BA1

I remember the very first episode, Sofar and Slightly discover Fortycoats frozen like a statue by the witch in the opening scene.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

branie2 wrote: »
    Ryanair started in the 80s all well.

Although their thrilling unique product position at the time was that they were £1 cheaper than Aer Lingus to London. :pac:

Served Irish regional airports (all of them, pretty much) to Luton as well as a handful of Dublin->UK routes with a mix of brand new ATRs and antique everything else by the late 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

L1011 wrote: »
    Although their thrilling unique product position at the time was that they were £1 cheaper than Aer Lingus to London. :pac:

Served Irish regional airports (all of them, pretty much) to Luton as well as a handful of Dublin->UK routes with a mix of brand new ATRs and antique everything else by the late 80s.
    Don't forget the Jetfoil. From North Wall Quay to Liverpool in about three hours. It didnt last too long as it was not suitable for the Irish Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Fritzbox

Edgware wrote: »
    Don't forget the Jetfoil. From North Wall Quay to Liverpool in about three hours.

In three hours? That wouldn't be much faster than a normal ferry, would it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Don't forget the Jetfoil. From North Wall Quay to Liverpool in about three hours. It didnt last too long as it was not suitable for the Irish Sea.

Didn't Martin "The General" Cahill also own a pub in North Wall called The Jetfoil back in the 80's? From what I read it had a very dodgy reputation and was raided by the Gardaí on several occasions.

Fritzbox wrote: »
    In three hours? That wouldn't be much faster than a normal ferry, would it?

Correct. I remember going to matches in Manchester via the old Liverpool ferry. Leave North Wall around 10p.m. Friday and land in Liverpool around 6.00 a.m. Then a train from Lime St to Manchester Picadilly. Out to Old Trafford to buy the tickets to the Stretford End ( you could do that then) Knock around the pubs and caffs for a few hours and then to the game.
    Buy the "Pink" on the way back to the train and ending up in Dublin around 7 a.m. on Sunday.
    The good old days.
    I went on the Jetfoil once on a very pleasant day weather wise

Didn't Martin "The General" Cahill also own a pub in North Wall called The Jetfoil back in the 80's? From what I read it had a very dodgy reputation and was raided by the Gardaí on several occasions.
    Not sure if it was Cahill that owned it but the fellow I think owned it was gunned down subsequently and died. A great lad for the Irish matches

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

Correct. I remember going to matches in Manchester via the old Liverpool ferry. Leave North Wall around 10p.m. Friday and land in Liverpool around 6.00 a.m. Then a train from Lime St to Manchester Picadilly. Out to Old Trafford to buy the tickets to the Stretford End ( you could do that then) Knock around the pubs and caffs for a few hours and then to the game.
    Buy the "Pink" on the way back to the train and ending up in Dublin around 7 a.m. on Sunday.
    The good old days.
    I went on the Jetfoil once on a very pleasant day weather wise

Ah, the memories.
    I used to use the Dublin - Liverpool ferry for matches. Flying wasn't an option then as it was too expensive - about a week's wages if I remember rightly.
    Went over to Manchester to se my beloved Spurs v Man City at Maine road in 1979. We lost 0-2 but should have won after missing a few good chances and a goal disallowed. Ardiles was man of the match closely followed by Jimmy Holmes (remember him - played for Ireland about 27 times, superb left back).
    Very tedious journey, worse if you were going to London. During a rough crossing people vomiting everywhere! If going to London you were faster going to Dun Laoighre - Holyhead, then by train.
    The Sports Pink was essential reading after the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Correct. I remember going to matches in Manchester via the old Liverpool ferry. Leave North Wall around 10p.m. Friday and land in Liverpool around 6.00 a.m.

Eh, how is 3 hours "not much faster" than 8 hours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The charades show on RTE called Play the Game, presented by Ronan Collins, and the team captains were Twink and Derek Davis, and before Derek was Brendan Grace.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Eh, how is 3 hours "not much faster" than 8 hours?

It might have taken around 3 hours from Dublin to Douglas in the Isle of Man when I went there on holiday in 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The ferry to Holyhead now is 2h15. Why was it longer back then? were the boats heavier or something??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not sure if it was Cahill that owned it but the fellow I think owned it was gunned down subsequently and died. A great lad for the Irish matches

Cahill owned it after the Mulvihills according to Paul Williams book.
    cgcsb wrote: »
    The ferry to Holyhead now is 2h15. Why was it longer back then? were the boats heavier or something??

Worse propulsion systems, worse stabilisation systems so had to go slower in rough seas. But the boat to Liverpool is still 6 hours - its a lot more water to cover than to Holyhead.

Holyhead wasn't much longer than it is now; but the roads across North Wales were awful until the 2000s.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Ferries, I loved them as a kid.
    During the 80's we'd leave Clare at around 9 in the morning and drive up to Dublin, book into a b&b not far from the ferry , then do something for the evening.

Dublin was different then, I'd wake up in the morning in the b&b and the fog horn's going off.
    Such an amazing sound, there was a few different fog horn's and it was easy on the ears...

Are the fog horn's still harping away ?

We often went to the isle of man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

I remember B&I ferries - they were rough as hell, think they definitely took longer as when Sealink / Stena Line came in it was the new high speed version.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭cgcsb

nthclare wrote: »
    Ferries, I loved them as a kid.
    During the 80's we'd leave Clare at around 9 in the morning and drive up to Dublin, book into a b&b not far from the ferry , then do something for the evening.

Dublin was different then, I'd wake up in the morning in the b&b and the fog horn's going off.
    Such an amazing sound, there was a few different fog horn's and it was easy on the ears...

We often went to the isle of man.

Sounds wholesome af. Can't say I've ever heard a fog horn in Dublin, but the port is a big place so it could still be a thing.

I wonder with the invention of affordable air travel, are some places now much less visited. For example why else would people go to North Wales, if not as the main route of travel between Dublin and London/Manchester/Birmingham. I myself haven't ever been to Liverpool for example.

Even in those days would it not have been faster to ferry to Holyhead and reach Liverpool by road or train?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,175 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the 2hr15 is on the catamaran. the regular ferry is 3hr30

Sounds wholesome af. Can't say I've ever heard a fog horn in Dublin, but the port is a big place so it could still be a thing.

I wonder with the invention of affordable air travel, are some places now much less visited. For example why else would people go to North Wales, if not as the main route of travel between Dublin and London/Manchester/Birmingham. I myself haven't ever been to Liverpool for example.

Even in those days would it not have been faster to ferry to Holyhead and reach Liverpool by road or train?

It's definitely a wholesome memory.
    Those fog horn's were like ear candy, And dad would be there with us looking out to the horizon.
    We couldn't wait to arrive on the island, dad would hire a car and we'd go on amazing adventures.

We were meant to go this year, mum and dad are still alive, but mams not well so we've decided to leave till next year.
    Myself my brother, sister and their wives and husbands all our kid's etc were all going on a summer holiday...

I remember my first holiday in the Isle of Man and I was 8 Baby Jane by Rod Stewart was popular on the juke box...
    1983 what a year for music, best year of the 80's for sure..

My dad still talks about a nice family we met from the Sandy Row in Belfast, and my dad and the other dad were at the opposite ends of the divide saying that the banter was mighty. Because dad's a real republican from the arse hole of Kerry and Mervyn was a real staunch loyalist but they had no choice but to get on because we shared the same long table for breakfast and dinner..

The drank together in the bar, they both had a tash although Mervyn's tash was a Protestant tash and dad's was a Catholic tash..

We've old photographs of the two families drinking and I made a friend with one of the kid's, I don't remember his name but he told me about some girl he wanted to ask out, I was 8 he was ten.

I thought he was really cool, he had a pair of jeans I still remember them they had stonewashed stripes going downwards. He also had a denim jacket, that meat he was cool.
    I was a right bogger, probably wearing something uncool.

I hope they're all ok and their lives turned out well.

Dad was a mad bastard, mad Mike he was known as rough and ready..
    He gave up the booze that winter and now he's 37 year's sober.
    He's a great dad, as is my mum a great mum.

I'm 17 year's sober myself the apple doesn't fall far from the tree as they say.

Hopefully we'll go back next year, you never know we might bump into Mervyn and his family...

Looking back at the photos, Mervyn was a real Ulster mon... big tash, skin head and had that look.
    Dad was a rough looking man from North Kerry, wearing a Judas priest t-shirt...

Happy memories

I lived in Ballyfermot from mid 70's to the 90's. Mad mad times. As another poster said, only one or two in the estate with phones, neighbours would knock in to use the phone and the ones who had phones left a bowl to put coins in by the phone. A group of neighbours would go on the bus to Newry and take a list of items from everyone who needed stuff. We had no central heating. Coats were put over the bed in winter time. Bath once a week with washes every other day.

Sent out to play for the day, off you go, don't want to see you till tea time. Playing in the fields up the road, near the train tracks, catching tadpoles, picking up crap from the ground that you shouldn't, playing chicken with the trains, getting into all sorts of mischief but harmless mainly. Yes I realise playing chicken with a train doesn't sound harmless but we were off the tracks long before it got close, it was just our way of allaying boredom before the internet I suppose.

There were horses kept by a guy who had a house at the end of the road, he basically owned land and kept horses, you could wake up to them grazing from your grass some days. Stolen cars in the 80's were the norm on the road. Heroin dealers moved in next door to our house in the 80's. Police raided our house by accident, I was in bed delirious with measles when policemen burst in. My Mother was having a hernia. They realised their mistake and left. Rats were a feature in the walls and roofs as the houses were flat roofed houses with cladding that the rats could climb under. Hearing them scratching and scraping at night was a regular occurence. Our next door neighbour tried to shoot one, one day with his shotgun, in the snow, and he missed and hit the cable for all the block's TV....we had no TV for a week.

The entire road were taken to Kilmainham court for evading paying the TV licence, and it was like a grand day out as they all took the bus together, the judge threw every case out and they all went to the pub on the way home. We had a fruit and veg man who came in a van, a sweet man who walked around with a board on a wheel barrow selling sweets, kids would come running out of everywhere. We had a "rag" woman, and she looked like something out of Mad Max, I was terrified of her. She was a rag and bone lady with a saloon car, she'd take old clothes and give us a small plastic toy, a marble, something like that. We had men who called to the door to collect money (debt collectors, they were just the "rent man" as far as we knew as kids) everyone got loans and paid back to lenders, everything was paid on the never never but it was always paid back, my Mother was a fantastic budget keeper. She always paid her debts. God bless her when I think about everything she had to do to keep it together. Would I go back there? Not a hope. Do I have rose tinted glasses about it all? No I hated it, it was awful. But there was definitely a pulling together of people in that community, the decent ones, they all stuck by each other in hard times. That was a nice feeling. some neighbours were nuts and drug addicted and crazy, others would walk over hot coals for you. I remember going in to eat with the neighbours kids, it was just normal, if you were playing with their kids they would drag you in for tea!!

Just a reflection of living through the 70's and 80's as I remember it.

• Advertisement

nthclare wrote: »

Gone since 2011
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/signal-of-change-remaining-foghorns-fall-silent-1.1277243

L1011 wrote: »

Oh noo...

I put them on sometimes at night connected to my Bluetooth speaker, they're great for sleeping...

You can get them on YouTube, there's amazing fog horn's in the UK

The old engineering is amazing,all these pistons and rings, pumps etc...

Bring back the fog horn's...

Or those Bell's on buoys, Jaw's has a scene where you can hear the bell...

Everything sounds great over water

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Babooshka wrote: »
    I lived in Ballyfermot from mid 70's to the 90's. Mad mad times. As another poster said, onnly one or two in the estate with phones, neighbours would knock in to use the phone and the ones who had phones left a bowl to put coins in by the phone. A group of neighbours would go on the bus to Newry and take a list of items from everyone who needed stuff. We had no central heating. Coats were put over the bed in winter time. Bath once a week with washes every other day.

Sent out to play for the day, off you go, don't want to see you till tea time. Playing in the fields up the road, near the train tracks, catching tadpoles, picking up crap from the ground that you shouldn't, playing chicken with the trains, getting into all sorts of mischief but harmless mainly. Yes I realise playing chicken with a train doesn't sound harmless but we were off the tracks long before it got close, it was just our way of allaying boredom before the internet I suppose.

There were horses kept by a guy who had a house at the end of the road, he basically owned land and kept horses, you could wake up to them grazing from your grass some days. Stolen cars in the 80's were the norm on the road. Heroin dealers moved in next door to our house in the 80's. Police raided our house by accident, I was in bed delirious with measles when policemen burst in. My Mother was having a hernia. They realised their mistake and left. Rats were a feature in the walls and roofs as the houses were flat roofed houses with cladding that the rats could climb under. Hearing them scratching and scraping at night was a regular occurence. Our next door neighbour tried to shoot one, one day with his shotgun, in the snow, and he missed and hit the cable for all the block's TV....we had no TV for a week.

The entire road were taken to Kilmainham court for evading paying the TV licence, and it was like a grand day out as they all took the bus together, the judge threw every case out and they all went to the pub on the way home. We had a fruit and veg man who came in a van, a sweet man who walked around with a board on a wheel barrow selling sweets, kids would come running out of everywhere. We had a "rag" woman, and she looked like something out of Mad Max, I was terrified of her. She was a rag and bone lady with a saloon car, she'd take old clothes and give us a small plastic toy, a marble, something like that. We had men who called to the door to collect money (debt collectors, they were just the "rent man" as far as we knew as kids) everyone got loans and paid back to lenders, everything was paid on the never never but it was always paid back, my Mother was a fantastic budget keeper. She always paid her debts. God bless her when I think about everything she had to do to keep it together. Would I go back there? Not a hope. Do I have rose tinted glasses about it all? No I hated it, it was awful. But there was definitely a pulling together of people in that community, the decent ones, they all stuck by each other in hard times. That was a nice feeling. some neighbours were nuts and drug addicted and crazy, others would walk over hot coals for you. I remember going in to eat with the neighbours kids, it was just normal, if you were playing with their kids they would drag you in for tea!!

This post reeks of coddle, burning heroin on an old spoon, and Sil Fox. You should give Roddy Doyle a shout and see if he’d be up for collaborating.

This post reeks of coddle, burning heroin on an old spoon, and Sil Fox. You should give Roddy Doyle a shout and see if he’d be up for collaborating.

Dunno if you're slagging me or complimenting me, but it is what it is!! It was that kind of upbringing for sure. My Mam was so strong I don't think I would have done it. I'd have run off!! Her coddle was also amazing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 40,175 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Dunno if you're slagging me or complimenting me, but it is what it is!! It was that kind of upbringing for sure. My Mam was so strong I don't think I would have done it. I'd have run off!! Her coddle was also amazing :p

coddle is fantastic so it can only have been a compliment

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

It was a mixture of both! You have a good way with words, and that Dublin propensity for being nostalgic about the ‘rare auld times’.

It was a mixture of both! You have a good way with words, and that Dublin propensity for being nostalgic about the ‘rare auld times’.

Thanks. They were mad times. I was a very easily pushed around gullible child, the last of 6, and I had to stand up for myself a few times, as a female, with my fists, it made me sick, but I had to do it. I'd never go back, not for a million quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I lived in Ballyfermot from mid 70's to the 90's. Mad mad times. As another poster said, only one or two in the estate with phones, neighbours would knock in to use the phone and the ones who had phones left a bowl to put coins in by the phone. A group of neighbours would go on the bus to Newry and take a list of items from everyone who needed stuff. We had no central heating. Coats were put over the bed in winter time. Bath once a week with washes every other day.

Why did your neighbour try to shoot you?

He tried to shoot a rat, not me. Read it again. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,545 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

He was aiming for the rat who got them all “done” for evading the tv license.

The tide is turning…

Advertisement