Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

As a country we are incapable of taking a sensible decision without an outsider telling us what to do.

That's how it looks like for sure, by now I don't know what government is doing. Ignoring obvious things and waiting how other countries do.. Well they weren't even able to grasp on basic things what other countries did months ago, apart from the long full lockdown, if u wanna call it lockdown tho. No enforcement of anything, advices, advices and advices. Well that's bulls.. approach as we can see by now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Well I'm not coming from that angle re wages so that's why I left it out. Not every project in private sector is fit for public consumption, so that's also why I'm not coming from that angle either. The analogy I gave was comparing teams that are supposed to be partners to ensure overall success.
    Parents don't need to know every detail. Principles don't need to disclose every inner working of their job nor should they. I'm simply saying that any information, some information, some feedback, some partnership, some communication is what we're entitled to. From what I'm reading, it sounds like most teachers are left in the frustrating dark as well.

I'm not blaming schools here at all, only so much as I feel they (and I mean our school and all others following suit) who are seriously lacking in communication that we need for our children and our family's. That's a school management failing, no? Or is it the gov't telling them to not communicate plans and shortcomings.

The plan reeks I agree with you and in all other aspects bar communication with parents I am completely with you too.

I'll be brief because I do agree with you, and that's why I posted parents as partners. What I meant is, you don't post 1/2 of a plan. You say we are working towards x and then communicate again if there are road blocks that we can't overcome or when it has been achieved.

To give an example, we published our provisional response after the guidelines were issued. We were then given a laundry list of questions from parents about x y z scenario. Some of these couldn't be answered yet as they required time to work out (Eg our own mask policy which parents were divided on as you can see from this thread itself). We put 3 days into the legalities of changing policies for masks etc, how they would be implemented and supplied, and then the govt went and just changed the rules publicly, despite giving us no warning that they would do so.

Thus all im saying is, people sometimes want a snap answer. And I can understand why, but that snap answered ruined the leaving cert this year,affecting many many students futures this year, and in my opinion, not for the better. Sometimes,you just need some trust and to give schools some time,especially when there are things going on that you're told you can't announce yet. Channels of comms are vital I agree, but when the DES are brutal with schools, we are trying our best with parents, and they need to direct more of that frustration on their td and the DES imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Parents of children with special education needs need to be screaming from the rooftops about how the learning support / resource hours they have fought so hard for will be decimated as SET team cover absences.
    Parents of children with health conditions need to make their voices heard on how unsafe the lack of social distancing is in primary schools.
    All parents can campaign for a reduction in the pupil teacher ratio going forward. This needs to be addressed immediately.
    We are expected to make the plan work with what little we already have. The media are towing the line with the politicians on how we need all children back to school. We all want a return to normal but these times are certainly not normal.

The media have been suspiciously quiet on criticising the back to school plan. Basically every parent I know is extremely concerned about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

The media have been suspiciously quiet on criticising the back to school plan. Basically every parent I know is extremely concerned about it.

And so they should be because it's a terrible and downright dangerous plan. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

FF is in charge now, enough said TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Warbeastrior

Blondini wrote:
    And so they should be because it's a terrible and downright dangerous plan. End of story.

I haven't been following it tbh.
    Why is it terrible and dangerous? Genuinely asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭combat14

69, 98, 178 cases, tomorrow? ...

this kildare, laois, offaly lockdown is not going to work people are so annoyed there and anyways tens of thousands of workers from these counties commute to Dublin every day ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

combat14 wrote: »

this kildare, laois, offaly lockdown is not going to work people are so annoyed there and anyways tens of thousands of workers from these counties commute to Dublin every day ..

That is what I find mental. It is a lockdown but if you work outside the three counties, you can go to work, if you cannot wfh. That would be most people I would guess.

Also if this continues into when schools open, do the teachers in these areas go to work in another county and try to self isolate from staff? Could be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I haven't been following it tbh.
    Why is it terrible and dangerous? Genuinely asking.

small cramped classrooms with 25-30+ students in them so zero social distancing really. Students are to move from class to class so no social distancing in between classes in tight corridors. Practical subjects are going ahead as normal so all the equipment will be shared. No plan in place for a lot of high risk students and staff. Up until yesterday PPE was not happening, but i think its sort of happening now maybe. Full numbers in schools as normal. School buses are going ahead but students must wear masks. No plan in place for temperature checks or testing of staff/students. This is all post primary and i am sure there are other holes in the 'plan'

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Warbeastrior

small cramped classrooms with 25-30+ students in them so zero social distancing really. Students are to move from class to class so no social distancing in between classes in tight corridors. Practical subjects are going ahead as normal so all the equipment will be shared. No plan in place for a lot of high risk students and staff. Up until yesterday PPE was not happening, but i think its sort of happening now maybe. Full numbers in schools as normal. School buses are going ahead but students must wear masks. No plan in place for temperature checks or testing of staff/students. This is all post primary and i am sure there are other holes in the 'plan'

Yeah that seems ludicrous

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The current overall covid situation shows how ridiculous the back to school plan is. You have 3 counties that are now on a renewed lockdown for 2 weeks, which are then expected to send students back to school 1 week after the lockdown is lifted, working on the assumption it will be. It is at complete odds with reality when it comes to student and staff safety.

The plan to send all students back was short sighted when they should have spent the last 2/3 months forming a comprehensive online learning plan, or at least a blended model. What happens when another county goes into lockdown in September, 2 weeks of no education?

I'm the father of a high risk child, so have more skin in the game than most, but also a reason why I'm scrutinising everything they are putting out. The official draft had a line regarding covid not being airborne. The latest version now has this line removed, but does not add anything new, meaning to me they knew their previous line was wrong, but can't acknowledge the possibility that it is airborne, so best just to remove the line stating that it isn't.

And regarding masks, that turn around was inevitable, but why everything has to be dragged out of them I don't know. I wear one everywhere I go, indoors and outdoors, but to have suggested that post primary kids don't need them for 6 hours a day in a room of 20 to 30, when we need them for a 15 minute shopping trip is the height of contradictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

delly wrote: »
    And regarding masks, that turn around was inevitable, but why everything has to be dragged out of them I don't know. I wear one everywhere I go, indoors and outdoors, but to have suggested that post primary kids don't need them for 6 hours a day in a room of 20 to 30, when we need them for a 15 minute shopping trip is the height of contradictions.

The government are reactionary. They react the problems and issues when they arise. During this pandemic, these reactions have often based on the actions of other countries. I wish they would be proactive but will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

The government are reactionary. They react the problems and issues when they arise. During this pandemic, these reactions have often based on the actions of other countries. I wish they would be proactive but will never happen.

Yep. And that is what will happen with localised lockdowns etc too.

I'm in a locked down county now but I don't teach in one. For those asking what will happen in this scenario, we will be called 'frontline workers' and will be allowed to breach the restrictions to go to and from work.

THIS will be the start of the community transmission but as pointed out above me, they'll only deal with that once it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I'm in a locked down county now but I don't teach in one. For those asking what will happen in this scenario, we will be called 'frontline workers' and will be allowed to breach the restrictions to go to and from work.

Anyone in a locked down county can leave for work if they cannot work from home, not just teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

combat14 wrote: »

With the percentages they gave out it looks like they've found approximately 400 cases in these counties, 100 was announced yesterday so today could be 300 plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭isup

Minier81 wrote: »
    Anyone in a locked down county can leave for work if they cannot work from home, not just teachers.

How is that fair for the people they work with?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

isup wrote: »

That is what I was trying to understand earlier. Lots of the staff in my school live in the 3 lockdown counties, so what do they do when they get to school? You can't self isolate from the chlildren. Interesting predicament. Do you keep separate from other staff altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭combat14

looks like the schools will become the new meat factories of ireland in a few weeks time ��

Minier81 wrote: »

Yes, I know that. I was responding to the question above, specifically asking what will happen to teachers in locked down counties who teach in non-locked down counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Yes, I know that. I was responding to the question above, specifically asking what will happen to teachers in locked down counties who teach in non-locked down counties.

I would assume if this is still ongoing or happens during term time that they go to work as per normal. I'm guessing retail staff, nurses, doctors, plumbers, etc from these counties will still go to work in other counties.

• Advertisement

isup wrote: »

It's not, but what else can they do? In a scenario where you can work from home, you will be allowed to. Where you can't, you must go to work.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's awful, but I don't see any alternative. Especially with schools.

Somebody made this point on another thread though, which I thought interesting:
    "Anybody else remember when opening the schools was part of phase 5 of the government roadmap and now it's not even safe for us to come out of phase 4 but we are going to leapfrog over it to open them up anyway"

So I looked up the roadmap for reopening. In phase 5 it says the following:
    on a phased basis, commencing at the beginning of the academic year 2020/2021, opening of primary and secondary schools and 3rd level institutions

Phased basis? And that was the plan when they presumed they'd have all other business, cafes, restaurants, museums and art galleries already open since 20th July, with no setbacks :eek:

I would assume if this is still ongoing or happens during term time that they go to work as per normal. I'm guessing retail staff, nurses, doctors, plumbers, etc from these counties will still go to work in other counties.

Yeah, exactly. It would be the exact same as we would be 'essential workers'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Smacruairi wrote: »
    I'll be brief because I do agree with you, and that's why I posted parents as partners. What I meant is, you don't post 1/2 of a plan. You say we are working towards x and then communicate again if there are road blocks that we can't overcome or when it has been achieved.

To give an example, we published our provisional response after the guidelines were issued. We were then given a laundry list of questions from parents about x y z scenario. Some of these couldn't be answered yet as they required time to work out (Eg our own mask policy which parents were divided on as you can see from this thread itself). We put 3 days into the legalities of changing policies for masks etc, how they would be implemented and supplied, and then the govt went and just changed the rules publicly, despite giving us no warning that they would do so.

Thus all im saying is, people sometimes want a snap answer. And I can understand why, but that snap answered ruined the leaving cert this year,affecting many many students futures this year, and in my opinion, not for the better. Sometimes,you just need some trust and to give schools some time,especially when there are things going on that you're told you can't announce yet. Channels of comms are vital I agree, but when the DES are brutal with schools, we are trying our best with parents, and they need to direct more of that frustration on their td and the DES imo.

Thanks for the reply. I think most if not all parents would of course direct their frustration where it's more due, but what I'm trying to point out here is parents are literally in the dark about the challenges here. School principles by the sounds of it and certainly in our case, aren't communicating to parents at all. A little reassurance would go a long way for starters, as you say they're vital and even more so especially when its becoming clear (from this thread, not from communication to parents) that the plan is unworkable in schools. So parents don't know this yet. And the only frustration right now is the lack of communication which is down to the principles not stepping up that "vital" part.

Isn't it more than this, though? I'm hearing and learning mostly from this thread - thanks to the teachers and administrators on it - that there is a shortage of teachers and substitutes. We also know that there is no nationwide developed school curriculum for online or otherwise. Sickness will happen on top of existing vulnerabilities which will leave our children at a major disadvantage. Think some teachers can't/won't return and some students too.
    The letter forwarded from the school late last month from the DES says there has been a 376 million euro package to support the changes needed. We've heard from people in the school system on this thread that the requests for this money to make the necessary changes are supposed to go through an online app system which isn't even in place yet. Do I understand that correctly? There won't be time to make the necessary structural changes or anything else such as installed sanitisers or hand washing sinks. It allowed money for hiring extra teachers but it sounds like there are no extra teachers to be had.

So if I understand it right, the guidelines that have been released can't be implemented because the money that was announced for it is still tied up, and there is not enough time to meet the guidelines even if the money was there. There aren't enough teachers to support this plan and when the sickness starts hitting and necessary quarantines there is also no nationwide school curriculum to fall back on.

I also think that studies are showing that younger school children can pass on the virus at same rates as adults, they just tend to be more asymptomatic and struggle less with their own health. But that means the teachers are very vulnerable as are the homes they go back to. Yet no masks required for primary students, classrooms are not big enough for social distancing, and there is no blended learning curriculum developed so at least parents of vulnerable children or who are vulnerable parents themselves can homeschool.

Please correct or add to anything in my post if I've gotten it wrong or left something out! This is my point- struggling to understand what our challenges even are if we the parents are left in the dark. You can't advocate for what you don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

The schools opening back up is going to be a disaster. We haven't got the space in our schools with our class sizes to do it safely. I get the need to get kids back (I'm a dad to a 13yo myself), but not at any cost. In other counties they've been putting plans into place from the very top down for months now but our shower have passed the ball to teachers and ran off on holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

What is the entire nation's obsession with getting children physically back into school? Do parents hate their children so much they are desperate to not be around them so much? Or what am I missing? It's obviously not for educational reasons because online technology provides a solution for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

The_Brood wrote: »
    What is the entire nation's obsession with getting children physically back into school? Do parents hate their children so much they are desperate to not be around them so much? Or what am I missing? It's obviously not for educational reasons because online technology provides a solution for that.

Online teaching is not suitable for kids at the younger end of primary school. Kids also need social interaction. School is not all about academics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Ah maybe if you had kids you would realise that maybe the kids would like to meet and play with other children.not everything can be got out of life by clicking a fcuking button

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Online teaching is not suitable for kids at the younger end of primary school. Kids also need social interaction. School is not all about academics.

I mean if there's one thing anyone on the planet would have learned about the virus is that social interaction is out the window until a vaccine is developed and most take it. Whatever other debate is being had about travel, lockdowns etc I think that's the one clear thing - people shouldn't gather in large social groups.

So I don't see how anyone would expect schools to be allowed to reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I mean if there's one thing anyone on the planet would have learned about the virus is that social interaction is out the window until a vaccine is developed and most take it. Whatever other debate is being had about travel, lockdowns etc I think that's the one clear thing - people shouldn't gather in large social groups.

So I don't see how anyone would expect schools to be allowed to reopen.

So are you going to avoid everyone until (if) there's a vaccine?

• Advertisement

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    So are you going to avoid everyone until (if) there's a vaccine?

That's literally what everyone everywhere has told us to do. If you have to do something, go somewhere, travel etc. make sure it's as socially distant/isolated as possible. And if you can't avoid that, at the very least don't purposefully seek out large social interaction - which as people are saying are the exact point of schools. So....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement