Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DPD Parcel Wizard - DPD Pickup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

AidenL wrote: »
    Pity PW is closing, its was really useful.

My missing parcel turned up, a day late, so I was worrying for nothing, its been reliable as usual.

Agree never charged me for oversized parcels whereas PM would always look for 8 eur plus 8 for delivery if you dont collect !!

xdark wrote: »
    Source?

la8J0eM.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

xdark wrote: »
    Source?

Do you think he made it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

The email:

Dear Parcel Wizard Member,

Today we're bringing you an Important Service Update regarding the DPD Virtual Address.

We will no longer be offering our Virtual Address Service from December 11th 2020. This is due to customs clearance requirements for parcels travelling into the Republic of Ireland from Great Britain which will come into effect post Brexit.

In order to prepare for this change, please review the following information -

Any parcels arriving to the Virtual Address up to and including December 11th will be processed as normal.

Please ensure to update any online Address Books where you have indicated that the Parcel Wizard Virtual Address is your default address.

When ordering online between now and December 11th, check the transit times to ensure that your parcel will arrive before the Virtual Address Service ceases - if it won't, please do not use the Virtual Address.​​​​

If you have an unused balance on your Virtual Address account after the service ceases, this will be refunded directly to you via SagePay before the end of January 2021. You don't need to take any action - the refund will be automated.​​​​​​

Thank for using our Virtual Address Service over the years. And don't forget, after the 11th December you can still use all of the other great DPD Parcel Wizard options - up to date messaging on when your parcel will arrive, managing your delivery schedule, routing your parcel to a particular address and much more.

Best regards,
    The Parcel Wizard Team @ DPD

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Thanks lads...they're obviously assuming we are definitely facing a no trade deal in any shape or form post Brexit.

Assume Parcel Motel and Addresspal will have to follow suit.
    Deal or no deal doesn't make a difference in terms of parcels from the UK requiring customs clearance from January 1st.

Only thing that would have kept things as they are was the UK staying in the EU Customs Union and BoJo ruled that out from the get-go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

I started with PM and moved to Parcel Wizard when they started.
    Overall i got hundreds of items delivered with none lost. A great service and will be sad to see it go but understandably the business is not viable anymore thanks to Brexit.
    In general the attractiveness of getting items from the UK from Ist Jan is seriously diminished.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Am I reading the Revenue website correctly in that items under €150 coming from outside the EU (so the UK from 1/1/21) are exempt from duty?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭VG31

Am I reading the Revenue website correctly in that items under €150 coming from outside the EU (so the UK from 1/1/21) are exempt from duty?

Duty yes, but you have to pay VAT on items over €22.

VG31 wrote: »
    And the €22 exception will be gone come July 1st.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 ytsaeb

The email:

Dear Parcel Wizard Member,

Today we're bringing you an Important Service Update regarding the DPD Virtual Address.

We will no longer be offering our Virtual Address Service from December 11th 2020. This is due to customs clearance requirements for parcels travelling into the Republic of Ireland from Great Britain which will come into effect post Brexit.

In order to prepare for this change, please review the following information -

Any parcels arriving to the Virtual Address up to and including December 11th will be processed as normal.

Please ensure to update any online Address Books where you have indicated that the Parcel Wizard Virtual Address is your default address.

When ordering online between now and December 11th, check the transit times to ensure that your parcel will arrive before the Virtual Address Service ceases - if it won't, please do not use the Virtual Address.​​​​

If you have an unused balance on your Virtual Address account after the service ceases, this will be refunded directly to you via SagePay before the end of January 2021. You don't need to take any action - the refund will be automated.​​​​​​

Thank for using our Virtual Address Service over the years. And don't forget, after the 11th December you can still use all of the other great DPD Parcel Wizard options - up to date messaging on when your parcel will arrive, managing your delivery schedule, routing your parcel to a particular address and much more.

Best regards,
    The Parcel Wizard Team @ DPD

So Parcel Wizard is finishing ?

• Advertisement

Yeah but we already pay additional VAT when buying on amazon.co.uk ?

True I didn't think of that. I'm not sure how that will work then. Buying from Amazon UK wouldn't be a big deal if only orders over €150 were affected.

Wow never got an email so glad I checked here. I never used PW until around Christmas when PM was mental but never had a problem thankfully. Sad times.

On items posted to Ireland, they charge Irish VAT. It's an EU thing. That'll end come January 1st. Then they'll either apply VAT-free prices and VAT will be collected on delivery by An Post etc. Or more likely, they'll still charge Irish VAT at source and handle customs-clearance and the end customer won't notice too much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭flintash

Quackster wrote: »
    And the €22 exception will be gone come July 1st.

wait! what?! are you saying when i buy something from outside EU i have to pay vat even for 99 cent aliexpress item?

flintash wrote: »
    wait! what?! are you saying when i buy something from outside EU i have to pay vat even for 99 cent aliexpress item?

Yes and since you'll also have to pay An Post's €10 handling fee (or a similar fee for couriers) it will be completely uneconomical to buy cheap goods from outside the EU.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Yep. No lower limit. Or they register to pay all VAT/Duty with the EU, which would save individual customs clearance charges, but will put the prices up.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

Yes and since you'll also have to pay An Post's €10 handling fee (or a similar fee for couriers) it will be completely uneconomical to buy cheap goods from outside the EU.

The postman will no longer be collecting the customs charges from January. Revenue/Customs or anpost will contact the customer directly to get payment before the item is released for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

whiterebel wrote: »
    Yep. No lower limit. Or they register to pay all VAT/Duty with the EU, which would save individual customs clearance charges, but will put the prices up.
    same as user above it makes no sense, been awhile since got stuff from china, but pretty sure none of em are vat registered for eu, so seems odd if one would need to pay vat+handling on say few euro items.

as even if you travel from spain canaries, theres exceptions allowed for how much booze, tobacco one can import without declaring it :confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

scamalert wrote: »
    same as user above it makes no sense, been awhile since got stuff from china, but pretty sure none of em are vat registered for eu, so seems odd if one would need to pay vat+handling on say few euro items.

as even if you travel from spain canaries, theres exceptions allowed for how much booze, tobacco one can import without declaring it :confused:

They will have to be registered by July 2021 apparently. It makes a lot of sense when you realise there are millions of small shipments a week coming into the EU and no VAT being collected.

Alcohol, perfume and tobacco are subject to Excise duty, which is the "duty free" part. Excise applies to certain products, matches, oil, and the above 3. Everything is subject to Ad Valorem (To the value) duty from outside the EU. It may be 0%, but can go to 10-15%.

• Advertisement

Indeed - wish and aliexpress would be killed in Europe if there was no threshold.

Indeed - wish and aliexpress would be killed in Europe if there was no threshold.

is this europe wide or irish initiative? anyone knows? i found pdf on revenue website, as little as i understand its only Ireland.
    if they have any sort of a handling fee it will kill most of the purchases from outside EU if no handling fee it will be uneconomical to collect pennies on $1 purchases.

is this europe wide or irish initiative? anyone knows? i found pdf on revenue website, as little as i understand its only Ireland.
    if they have any sort of a handling fee it will kill most of the purchases from outside EU if no handling fee it will be uneconomical to collect pennies on $1 purchases.

It is all EU. Sweden initially wanted it introduced. I t was originally intended to come in on January 1st 2021.

now, that could be a game changer for me.

Not necessarily as AliExpress will be able to register on I-OSS to charge VAT at source and packages from them would then skip customs on arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Nice of dpd not to bother emailing everyone one. Glad that I stumbled across this..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

ok the service is still usable i hope till new next year kicks off anyway.

anyone ever ordered anything and put your PWid into address field ? as had ordered from store in UK and wouldnt allow to use numbers in name or surname field so had to put it down under address as first line- never done it like that so not sure if it will be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭tk123

ok the service is still usable i hope till new next year kicks off anyway.

anyone ever ordered anything and put your PWid into address field ? as had ordered from store in UK and wouldnt allow to use numbers in name or surname field so had to put it down under address as first line- never done it like that so not sure if it will be an issue.

Yeah I do that all the time if there's enough lines eg
    tk123
    PW123456
    DPD parcel wiz..

or if there's limited lines
    tk123
    DPD Parcel Wizard - PW123456

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

Surely they would have put a notice up on their website by now if this was to happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭sunbeam

j4vier wrote: »
    Surely they would have put a notice up on their website by now if this was to happen?

I'm very surprised they haven't. I didn't receive any email from them either.

Edit: I just asked on live chat and they confirmed that the service will indeed be ending on December 11th.

Advertisement