Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

gabeeg wrote: »
    She lives in Canterbury and so is with the NHS.
    I'm not really sure what treatments/investigations she's getting, though I know she's finally getting some scans etc having been held back for months by a sceptical GP.

Thanks

My partner was the same. At the start was fobbed off with seasonal asthma, then asthma and given inhalers including a steroid one. They were making his worse. Eventually after so many visits the GP began listening to him and hes been referred on and taken seriously. Hope your friend will be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I still see the same teachers doing their best to stay at home come September.

Every edge case is being brought up as an excuse and a 'what if'.

Once kids are back in School, we will see that the worry will be mostly for nothing. Sure, there will be the odd school closed here and there because a student or teacher got infected, but its an an going situation and things will be a new normal this school year.
    Teachers just have to adapt.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Warbeastrior

Thierry12 wrote:
    Teachers have had plenty of rest they can do a few extra hours a week.

Eventually these digs at teachers start to become pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

youandme13 wrote: »
    My partner was the same. At the start was fobbed off with seasonal asthma, then asthma and given inhalers including a steroid one. They were making his worse. Eventually after so many visits the GP began listening to him and hes been referred on and taken seriously. Hope your friend will be ok

Likewise.

She's my girlfriend's first cousin, and while I know her pretty well and I'm very worried for her, it would be many times worse if it were my partner.

Hope you yourself are managing too. Can't be easy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭combat14

New Zealand 100 days virus free today.. it can be done.. doesnt look government here want to do it ..

100000+ flying in here the last 2 weeks alone..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

markodaly wrote: »

Once kids are back in School, we will see that the worry will be mostly for nothing. Sure, there will be the odd school closed here and there because a student or teacher got infected, but its an an going situation and things will be a new normal this school year.

Where has any teacher said they want to stay home. Even if the schools are closed to kids, staff will still go in for remote learning.
    Quote anyone saying they want to stay home in Sept, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭isup

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    So are you going to avoid everyone until (if) there's a vaccine?

I will be avoiding crowds and being indoors with other people unless essential

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

markodaly wrote: »

Ha let the teachers play Russian roulette with a deadly virus, great plan...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

iguana wrote: »
    My main selfish worry is that the plan to reopen schools is terrible and is very likely to lead to a resurgence in cases. If/when that happens, not only will schools close but we will lose the social outlets we got back in phase 2 and 3. No more sports, no more playgrounds, maybe no more visits to extended family. While I want my son to experience the social benefits of returning to school, I do not want it to happen if it leads in short order to him losing the small bit of his social life that he's recently gotten back.

On a societal level my worry is for all of the further infections that will come about from a resurgence of cases. And the long-term health issues and deaths they could lead to for some.

This mostly is how I feel about it.
    I am also worried about the potential long term effects on any of us if we did get it.

And I do worry that we won't be able to see my elderly mother very much at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

SusanC10 wrote: »
    I am also worried about the potential long term effects on any of us if we did get it.

And I do worry that we won't be able to see my elderly mother very much at all.

Don't send your kids to school so.

Keep them locked in the house forever and you will have zero worries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Don't send your kids to school so.

Keep them locked in the house forever and you will have zero worries.

Jeez, if and I'm saying IF you bothered to read through the thread, you would find out, nor teachers, nor parents wants to keep the schools closed. They just refusing idea to open them based on fcuked up guidelines they got from government. It's bloody simple. Yet there are clowns popping in and posting exact same bullsh1t as you do. Over and over. So you can showel your another pointless post up to your ... People like you will send in their kids (if you have any), with this sh1tty attitude. So all the measures will fly out the window, cuz daddy says it's bollix..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

SusanC10 wrote: »

I would have that worry, except that in all likelihood my son and I have had Covid. If it helps, even though I’m not 100% recovered since mid-March, I fully expect to be completely better in another few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

When schools do return what will they be like with required social distancing and masks?

No experiments in Science labs, no cooking in Home Ec kitchens. . . PE halls may be converted to classrooms.

What an environment this is going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Jeez, if and I'm saying IF you bothered to read through the thread, you would find out, nor teachers, nor parents wants to keep the schools closed. They just refusing idea to open them based on fcuked up guidelines they got from government. It's bloody simple. Yet there are clowns popping in and posting exact same bullsh1t as you do. Over and over. So you can showel your another pointless post up to your ... People like you will send in their kids (if you have any), with this sh1tty attitude. So all the measures will fly out the window, cuz daddy says it's bollix..

Nice.

Anyway when your anger fizzles out you will realise that all I'm saying is, if people aren't comfortable with the guidelines which they have no proof won't work by the way, then don't send them in.

Honestly that's the safest way for them

Noone knows how it will go until we try it.

You're perfectly entitled to keep your kids away if you don't think it safe.

Once you leave your house everyday there is 100s of risks to your health. But you take the chance and rely on your instincts.

That's the way it will be until this virus is gone.

Anyway if your way of getting your point across is to tell people to shove their opinion up their holes then I'm only delighted my kids won't be mixing with yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

combat14 wrote: »
    Extremely devastating' - staff and parents await test results after two cases of Covid-19 at creche

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/extremely-devastating-staff-and-parents-await-test-results-after-two-cases-of-covid-19-at-creche-39435284.html

is this what awaits school kids, teachers, parents and grand parents when schools become the new meat factories of ireland ..

The temperature checkers didn't even pick it up! It seems like you can have any combination of symptoms at all, so it is likely that one preventative measure alone, no matter what it is, isn't enough.

This might be a stupid question, but just wondering if it is possible for Covid to pass through you and you never know? As in, you could have it, be asymptomatic the whole time you have it and then it's gone.

Nice.

Anyway when your anger fizzles out you will realise that all I'm saying is, if people aren't comfortable with the guidelines which they have no proof won't work by the way, then don't send them in.

Honestly that's the safest way for them

Noone knows how it will go until we try it.

You're perfectly entitled to keep your kids away if you don't think it safe.

Once you leave your house everyday there is 100s of risks to your health. But you take the chance and rely on your instincts.

That's the way it will be until this virus is gone.

Anyway if your way of getting your point across is to tell people to shove their opinion up their holes then I'm only delighted my kids won't be mixing with yours.

Not really buying your gameplay, seen it way too many times on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I really have to wonder about the long term effects of it. I have not looked into the research admittedly but when you look at the statistics in regards to recoveries, surely to God if long lasting effects were very common then it would be seeing thousands of people in the news, further hospital admissions, etc.

I'm not saying there isn't long lasting effects, I'm sure there are in a percentage of cases. The same way there can be long lasting effects from other common viruses. A bad bout of the flu can take weeks and weeks to recover from. The problem with COVID is that it is a new virus and we have zero immunity to it, you're better off avoiding getting it as it is kind of gamble as to how you respond to it. However, the statistics speak for themselves. RTE scare mongering isn't going to convince me, wheeling out a couple of young people and interviewing them isn't either. They'll always find someone to suit their agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I really have to wonder about the long term effects of it. I have not looked into the research admittedly but when you look at the statistics in regards to recoveries, surely to God if long lasting effects were very common then it would be seeing thousands of people in the news, further hospital admissions, etc.

I'm not saying there isn't long lasting effects, I'm sure there are in a percentage of cases. The same way there can be long lasting effects from other common viruses. A bad bout of the flu can take weeks and weeks to recover from. The problem with COVID is that it is a new virus and we have zero immunity to it, you're better off avoiding getting it as it is kind of gamble as to how you respond to it. However, the statistics speak for themselves. RTE scare mongering isn't going to convince me, wheeling out a couple of young people and interviewing them isn't either. They'll always find someone to suit their agenda.

The problem with Covid is that it is highly infectious and is known to damage the cardiovascular system, the respiratory system and the urinary system. There are people who have ongoing issues months after contracting the illness and because it is new, the medics do not know how long they will suffer from these after effects, which range from extreme fatigue to needing dialysis, to damaging the heart and blood vessels and causing clots in the lungs and that does not include what it can do to some children who get it.

Perhaps you should research it does not harm to be educated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

I'd love for some agency, Irish or otherwise, to give us some sort of figures on how many people suffer prolonged illness from covid.

All we have at the moment is anecdotal evidence. It seems to me to be a significant number, but it could be small but vocal minority.

khalessi wrote: »
    The problem with Covid is that it is highly infectious and is known to damage the cardiovascular system, the respiratory system and the urinary system. There are people who have ongoing issues months after contracting the illness and because it is new, the medics do not know how long they will suffer from these after effects, which range from extreme fatigue to needing dialysis, to damaging the heart and blood vessels and causing clots in the lungs and that does not include what it can do to some children who get it.

Perhaps you should research it does not harm to be educated.

I will research it indeed. I don't disagree with what you're saying. There are obviously lasting effects in a tiny percentage of cases.

What percentage is this though? Obviously that's hard to determine but if we're going to say people need dialysis, etc then we should at least accompany it with a % estimation as to how uncommon this is. People reading your post would be quick to forget 95% of people globally who have gotten COVID already have recovered, 87% in Ireland.

Are those who have long lasting effects suffering with underlying conditions?

What are the age groups of these people?

Im not trying to play this down but I'm in favour of level commentary. I know 5 people past 40 who have had it and are completely recovered fine. I know that doesn't mean what you're saying is incorrect but let's be reasonable here.

• Advertisement

I will research it indeed. I don't disagree with what you're saying. There are obviously lasting effects in a tiny percentage of cases.

What percentage is this though? Obviously that's hard to determine but if we're going to say people need dialysis, etc then we should at least accompany it with a % estimation as to how uncommon this is. People reading your post would be quick to forget 95% of people globally who have gotten COVID already have recovered, 87% in Ireland.

Im not trying to play this down but I'm in favour of level commentary. I know 5 people past 40 who have had it and are completely recovered fine. I know that doesn't mean what you're saying is incorrect but let's be reasonable here.

20% get hospitalised and anywhere between 2 -5% get the side effects. But it depends on what you regard as side effects so of this percentage eneded up in ICU some didnt. Brother and sister in law had in in March, both delerious and dizy when walking, very breathless, and now 5 months later still suffering extreme fatigue, ancedotal and as gabeeg says it would be nice to have a database of after effects to get a good idea.

I know 4 adults and 3 children who have got it and all months ago and all still suffering after effects luckily not to bad

I would not discount it occuring just because you dont know anyone who got it, just lucky. I dont know anyone who got bubonic plague in South West America doesnt meant it doens t happen regularly.

I'm sorry, but you are stating facts without research already.

WOuld you not go research this yourself instead of coming on the internet and making judgements and comments. I have spent months reading articles and med papers about it. It is not going to be summarised in a few lines. So go find out instead of instantly dismissing it because you dont know anyone who got it bad, that is lucky and I hope it stays that way. I also know of a number of people in my area who died of it. Does death count as an after effect? It did for their kids.

xhomelezz wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but you are stating facts without research already.

Fair enough, I'll do some research and get back to you. I based my estimate on approx 23,000 recoveries in Ireland from 27,000 odd cases. If a sizable percentage of this were suffering long lasting effect then I'd imagine this percentage of people would be far more vocal and we'd be hearing far more about it through the media.

Again, I'll look into it. Can't guarantee Irish statistics but I'm sure I'll get a proper % estimation somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    The temperature checkers didn't even pick it up! It seems like you can have any combination of symptoms at all, so it is likely that one preventative measure alone, no matter what it is, isn't enough.

This might be a stupid question, but just wondering if it is possible for Covid to pass through you and you never know? As in, you could have it, be asymptomatic the whole time you have it and then it's gone.
    I also believe in magic sometimes when I buy the lottery. Ghosts at night when its windy and cold. I hope this is true, Keep me updated.:)

Fair enough, I'll do some research and get back to you. I based my estimate on approx 23,000 recoveries in Ireland from 27,000 odd cases. If a sizable percentage of this were suffering long lasting effect then I'd imagine this percentage of people would be far more vocal and we'd be hearing far more about it through the media.

Again, I'll look into it. Can't guarantee Irish statistics but I'm sure I'll get a proper % estimation somewhere.

:confused:
    Good to know you will. Seriously??

Just out of curiosity, is there any parents and teachers left on this thread? If not, we might just close it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Will probably have to call off the school year in some counties, I can see serious unprecedented teaching job losses across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

it will be impossible to get accurate figure this early. Different countries are also focused on different aspects of the after effects depending on where the outbreaks happened. What we know is about 20% are badly effect, most of these suffer some form of long term effects, who knows what. I wouldn't know if there was damage to my liver straight away, it's a non complaining organ. My heart could be weakened, so I have a heart attack in 10 years instead of in my 80s, in 2/3 years time I go into renal failure due to clotting damage........long term effects aren't known because the virus is less than a year old.

I don't think most people want to take risks with there long term health that they can avoid.....

• Advertisement

Will probably have to call off the school year in some counties, I can see serious unprecedented teaching job losses across the country.

Dont see why, there will be localised lockdowns on and off no point in calling off school year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement