Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Brendan Grace's version of the Safe Cross Code

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The amount of Dublin city centre that was just empty sites in the 70s/80s was incredible. Surrounded by red and white hoardings for years with nothing happening - presumably there were great plans before the 70s huge recession hit.

No economic recession during the 70s.

High inflation, yes, but no fall in real GDP.

See here:

https://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/nationalaccounts/nationalincomeandexpenditureannualresults/

https://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/economy/Historical_National_Income_and_Expenditure_Tables_1970-1995_excluding_FISIM.xls

Recession in 1980-85.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Remember hairy legs well enough, very trendy clobber for the 80s. If pushed I’d have guessed Talbot St but am more often than not mistaken on these things!

God I loved that place, when i had a few schillings to spare.
    Just checked the map and im pretty sure it was Liffey St Uppr, on the left just before it intersected with Henry St.

Aaah the memories ....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Mine was yellow and covered in graffiti. Most bags were covered in graffiti in those days. Is that done anymore the school bags designer now?

I left school in 2008 and our bags were covered in graffiti. Often written with tipex.

Is the Bad Ass Cafe still open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Horseplay was popular.

And Horslips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

Is the Bad Ass Cafe still open?

think it is

I avoid Temple Bar like the plague though, fcuking knobjockery hellhole

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The DRC (Dublin Resource Centre) in old Temple Bar used to be great. Big bowls of soup with cut your own lumps of bread. Rocky tables and mis-matched chairs that looked like they came from five jumble sales and you were as likely to run into Bono as a homeless bloke in for the cheap soup.

Art and poker classes in the women's centre over Nico's were fun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Floppybits wrote: »
    Another of the Ilac Surface car parks.

aba2ed6bb5cef1f1b52cc3a7374858a7.jpg

Looked a lot better back then.

squawker wrote: »
    think it is

I avoid Temple Bar like the plague though, fcuking knobjockery hellhole

indeed, i have nt been to TB in decades. as a student The Bad Ass was considered so kool back in the 80s.

and good value too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

and good value too!

grand in the 80ies

but like anything bar Christy Moore the 80ies are well dead

oh how I long for that time again that social media hasn't ruined

fcuk you Facebook

(I aint no luddite, just hate the way the ultimate information age brought us to a massive gossip rag)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Floppybits

BBFAN wrote: »
    Robbing it you mean. :D:D

Didn't everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

I was the tv remote. The options were; "turn it over" (meant put on the other channel) or turn it up/down.

RTE2 only came on air after the homework was finished. No foreign stations.
    Remember getting called in from outside with the shout; "Come in, there's cartoons on the tv!" They'd only be on if there was a gap in the schedule that needed filling.
    Saturday mornings were our time for TV; Anything Goes, followed by Sports Stadium (which was good except when they'd show stupid horse racing or boring soccer or golf!)

Getting grounded for putting a black flag on the telephone pole outside our house!:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Going to the Underground bar junction Georges St Dame St now a lap dance club but saw some great bands there ( and some Shockers.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Mugser wrote: »
    I was the tv remote. The options were; "turn it over" (meant put on the other channel) or turn it up/down.

Remember getting called in from outside with the shout; "Come in, there's cartoons on the tv!" They'd only be on if there was a gap in the schedule that needed filling.
    Saturday mornings were our time for TV; Anything Goes, followed by Sports Stadium (which was good except when they'd show stupid horse racing or boring soccer or golf!)

Getting grounded for putting a black flag on the telephone pole outside our house!:eek:

Singing "Maggie Maggie Maggie Out Out Out":D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

God I loved that place, when i had a few schillings to spare.
    Just checked the map and im pretty sure it was Liffey St Uppr, on the left just before it intersected with Henry St.

Aaah the memories ....:D

I suspect neither of us is wrong. There was a hairy legs on the right of Talbot as you walked towards Connolly, just past the junction with earl st. Rarely failed to pay a visit anytime I was in town though hardly ever had funds to buy anything. I guess they had a couple of outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

Oh dear God you're bringing back some memories there. That cider was dirt cheap & the emphasis is on the word dirt. Great craic though.
    ....... wrote: »
    As young as :D

Yes, thats right, and at the top of Moore Street, on the side facing us in that photo was a hatch that you could go up to for off licence sales. They NEVER asked your age so at 16 I was buying bottles of some dodgy brand vodka from it and hiding them in my army surplus bag.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Sports Stadium, it went on half the day or at least felt like it did, came on after Anything Goes. Hated it, just seemed to be endless horse racing.

I know how you feel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Sports Stadium, it went on half the day or at least felt like it did, came on after Anything Goes. Hated it, just seemed to be endless horse racing.

Schedule usually went like this

09:30 Anything Goes
    12:50 Daktari / The Wonderful World Of Disney / The Hardy Boys & Nancy Drew Mysteries / The Invisible Man etc
    13:40 Sports Stadium

Sports Stadium usually started with horse racing and then Gaelic Stadium section with Mick Dunne. For years, the horse racing results were written on stiff cardboard which filled the screen and were changed by hand.

• Advertisement

On a Saturday evening, we had Mailbag with Arthur Murphy.

Why did you put a black flag on the telephone pole?!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

branie2 wrote: »
    Why did you put a black flag on the telephone pole?!

Could be talking about the hunger strikes I’m guessing.

squawker wrote: »
    grand in the 80ies

but like anything bar Christy Moore the 80ies are well dead

oh how I long for that time again that social media hasn't ruined

fcuk you Facebook

(I aint no luddite, just hate the way the ultimate information age brought us to a massive gossip rag)

i agree. wasn't life more fun when you had to discover and unearth things, places, people (no Dublin mountain jokes please!) yourself.

having everthing at your fingertips is kinda boring

• Registered Users Posts: 33,905 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I think you have that backwards. The old peats was on the left handle when they sold components. They moved across the to the same side as the ilac is now.

Peats had 3 different shops there over the years.

Life ain't always empty.

Masterworks, the arts programme with the opening credits in the Louvre

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Bob Geldof summed up the Ireland of the 70s & 80s perfectly...
    ♫ Banana Republic
    Septic Isle
    Screaming in the Suffering sea
    It sounds like crying
    Everywhere I go
    Everywhere I see
    The black and blue uniforms
    Police and priests

And I wonder do you wonder
    While you're sleeping with your whore
    That sharing beds with history
    Is like a-licking running sores
    Forty shades of green yeah
    Sixty shades of red
    Heroes going cheap these days
    Price; a bullet in the head

Banana Republic
    Septic Isle
    Suffer in the Screaming sea
    It sounds like dying
    Everywhere I go
    Everywhere I see
    Police and priests

Take your hand and lead you
    Up a garden path
    Let me stand aside here
    And watch you pass
    Striking up a soldier's song
    I know that tune
    It begs too many questions
    And answers to

Banana Republic
    Septic Isle
    It sounds like dying
    Everywhere I go
    Everywhere I see
    Police and priests

The purple and the pinstripe
    Mutely shake their heads
    A silense shrieking volumes
    A violence worse than the condemn
    Stab you in the back yeah
    Laughing in your face
    Glad to see the place again
    It's a pity nothing's changed

Banana Republic
    Septic Isle
    It sounds like dying
    Everywhere I go
    Everywhere I see
    Police and priests♫

My fav Boomtown Rats song

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

branie2 wrote: »
    Masterworks, the arts programme with the opening credits in the Louvre

I remember that. Was it shown early saturday or sunday mornings? Each episode would focus on on one famous painting and was pretty short, like 15 minutes or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

In the 70's you dad and you uncles built their own extensions / walls / sheds. When more babies were born... they would throw up an extra bedroom part time/ on the weekends. No hassle !!!!

And if u had a garden.... there would be a row of spuds, a row of carrots and another of cabbage and lettuce. A rickety old trellis would hang peas

Any gooseberries were wild!!!! Haven't seen a gooseberry in 30 years!!

Advertisement