Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Ok you obviously are better versed than I on what qualifies as an ethnic minority.

But what about islanders with their own way of life, do you see where this is going...

Treating everyone equally is the only way to go, anything else just leads to problems in my opinion.

TbL

IF the islands hadn't mostly been depopulated and had remained as separate cultural identities then they would have qualified. But they were so they didn't so they don't.

See where this is going?

Well given the appalling terms used to describe ALL Travellers in this very thread which went unsanctioned by MODS I would say we are far from equality.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,013 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Ok you obviously are better versed than I on what qualifies as an ethnic minority.

But what about islanders with their own way of life, do you see where this is going...

Treating everyone equally is the only way to go, anything else just leads to problems in my opinion.

TbL

Ps. If the Irish in UK become an ethnic minority again that just crazy, they would be citizens of that country and should abide by the laws and obligations of that country.

The world is gone mad

Why do you see Special Ethnic Minority status as a threat to your 'equality'?

Can you expand on why a symbolic gesture to foster inclusiveness and parity of esteem threatens you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Why do you see Special Ethnic Minority status as a threat to your 'equality'?

Can you expand on why a symbolic gesture to foster inclusiveness and parity of esteem threatens you?

Francie the words “special...status” are mutually exclusive and not conducive to an egalitarian society

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Ok, I have heard of the Fureys, anything else.

Where is the evidence they kept the tradition of Irish music alive, there are lots of traditional Irish musicians so why dont they all qualify for ethnic status.

The travellers who used to live near a retail park that I am familiar with are a blight on the local community. They have burglared every house within miles and are brazen enough to break and enter in the middle of the day. One actually broke the glass in the front door at midday in one house which is on a busy road, the house owner was in his back garden and he saw a traveller with a hurley( the owners) hurley standing in his kitchen.

These travellers would also wait at the retail park for delivery of expensive computer equipment at 6 AM in the morning, while the stuff was being unloaded into the stores the travellers would help themselves to laptops, Computers, Ipads, huge TVS, this went on all the time.

I am genuinely mystified about this amazing traveller culture, its repeated in the media like its some holy grail but when you ask for examples someone like bannaside says a traveller family played the tin whistle well.

There isnt much evidence of travellers playing anything but the fool now.

Francie the words “special...status” are mutually exclusive and not conducive to an egalitarian society

TbL

Why does it threaten your equality TBL. Come on, you want debate, please debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,083 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Geuze wrote: »
    Yes, I spoke to a proprietor of a crech/pre-school and they confirmed that this happens.

Yet again, Ireland gets the priorities the wrong way around.

We should be offering subsidised childcare to workers.

Workers should be protected by the welfare state, not non-workers.

Agree but here's example No.2 to prove how messed up the Gov is.

A friend of mine a few years back enquired about getting their child into a local playschool. Both he and his wife work.

It was a very popular one and always oversubscribed.

He was told that they would take his application anyway but to be honest they couldn't tell him if he would be successful as they had to see what places were left (if any) after the priority applicants were processed before him.

When he asked, all single mums and unemployed had priority before him when it came to getting a place.

The workers, and by definition those funding the preschool, were at the back of the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,568 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Music.

A huge amount of amazing musicians like the Furey brothers are Travellers. They kept the tradition of Irish music alive.

A heeoor.
    Music is a huge part of all branches of my family and we don't qualify a an ethnic community FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Why does it threaten your equality TBL. Come on, you want debate, please debate.

Another one of Francies leaps.

You’re some man for drawing unfounded assumptions Francie.

Doesn’t threaten me in the slightest, it’s just ridiculous

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭Varik

marvin80 wrote: »
    Pavee Point should come out and condemn this sort of behaviour, however they rarely do and that's very telling

The only time I've ever heard them do so was that slavery ring in the UK.

So Slavery.

Pretty low bar, so unless they get infiltrated by PETA who wish for the emancipation of all those "enslaved" and mistreated horses I doubt they'll ever engage in any introspection.

Its probably a community creche in a disadvanataged area though and set up specifically to take the children away from their parents for at least eight hours a day.

As I said in the long run this is better for society as otherwise those children would spend their days in a double
    buggy being pushed around while their parents shop lift. Some of these children would also be left in Garda stations while their parents go off drinking for the night.

Pavee point are Government funded, grrrrr. They never make any criticism as far as I can see.

I posted a link to an incident in Clonmel where seven huge thugs broke in and terrorised a young family, one of these monsters wasnt a traveller but the other six were and all from Coolock, North Dublin. They were terrorising rural dwellers every night of the week and thankfully were stopped on the NAAS Road by armed Gardai. They had stolen the young couples car. Pavee Points only comment was to say not all the gang were travellers, seriously, that is all they had to say and the media had nothing to say to Pavee Point about that. It would literaaly make you physically sick.

We have spent millions on the Garda Mc Cabe case which was all about a few rotten apples and it was much ado about nothing really. If we spent even half as much time and effort in dealing with criminal travellers we might get somewhere. They are getting more and more brazen becasue they know as soon as someone objects to what they get away with they are called a racist. Not one word of what Peter Casey said is racism, its the truth and nothing but the truth.

VOTE for Peter Casey. Michael D has had his day, he said he was only going for one term so he should have kept his word, he is too old now and do we really want to pay him another 250,000 to turn the ARAS into a retirement home.

Tough questions need to be asked about money spent during his Presidency but a senior Civil Servant who came before the Public Accounts Committee said he had no role because the Office of Presidency wasnt subject to scrutiny because its supposed to be independent from the Government. This is outrageous, its the taxpayer who is paying for trips to Belfast by Jet, each trip costs about three thousand euros per hour and Michael D had someone drive his car to Belfast to await him at the plane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Music.

A huge amount of amazing musicians like the Furey brothers are Travellers. They kept the tradition of Irish music alive.

Some of the Fureys biggest hits were composed by Phil Coulter, a fellow Irish man from Derry, and by Eric Bogle, a Scotsman living in Australia.

Another one of Francies leaps.

You’re some man for drawing unfounded assumptions Francie.

Doesn’t threaten me in the slightest, it’s just ridiculous

TbL

:confused::confused:
    we are all equal citizens with equal rights and obligations

Anything else is just divisive crap!

You said it. What is 'divisive' about it? I take it 'divisiveness' is a threat to the natural order?

Please elaborate or we will just take your objections as just another fairly useless bitchy rant about themuns over there.

tretorn wrote: »
    Its probably a community creche in a disadvanataged area though and set up specifically to take the children away from their parents for at least eight hours a day.

As I said in the long run this is better for society as otherwise those children would spend their days in a double
    buggy being pushed around while their parents shop lift. Some of these children would also be left in Garda stations while their parents go off drinking for the night.

Seems to be a modern phenomenon, I know so many parents who both work, (who could easily live on one of the wages if they dropped out of the big house, two cars, two holidays thing) who never see their children really.
    I wonder what is the point of having children at all in those circumstances. Somebody else is doing all the critical rearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I know there are many serious problems with a lot of travellers, I'm not going to argue that point.

But with regard to the "Ethnic status", if there were no significant problems in relation to behaviour, animal cruelty etc (Just in proportion to settled community) would people have the same objection to the "Ethnic Status"

Yes, I would anyway.

The Constitution bestows equality on us all so why should one group get ethnic status.

WE know there are huge problems in this community, huge alcohol dependency issues, probably a lot of drug use too. There is a lot of domestic violence directed towards women and children, a lot of violent in feuding, no committment to education, no real will to gain employment, over represented in the prison population for criminal activity and travellers dont hesitate to physically injure even the most elderly and infirm of their burglary victims. They have enormous trapping of wealth, take a trip to Rathkeale in Limerick to see huge empty houses sitting idle while the owners travel around the world offering to install driveways and then rip customers off, Irish travellers have gone as far as Australia with this caper, the Australian police if they catch them will deal with them, thats for sure. They are a total embarrassment to the rest of us and instead of dealing with them we give them ethnic status, how did the SJW fools get us to this point.

464280.jpg

Quoting this again for the lols :D

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

Thankfully this despicable person will not be the next president of our country. I certainly do not want to see a racist bigoted individual in the Aras.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Yes, I would anyway.

The Constitution bestows equality on us all so why should one group get ethnic status.

WE know there are huge problems in this community, huge alcohol dependency issues, probably a lot of drug use too. There is a lot of domestic violence directed towards women and children, a lot of violent in feuding, no committment to education, no real will to gain employment, over represented in the prison population for criminal activity and travellers dont hesitate to physically injure even the most elderly and infirm of their burglary victims. They have enormous trapping of wealth, take a trip to Rathkeale in Limerick to see huge empty houses sitting idle while the owners travel around the world offering to install driveways and then rip customers off, Irish travellers have gone as far as Australia with this caper, the Australian police if they catch them will deal with them, thats for sure. They are a total embarrassment to the rest of us and instead of dealing with them we give them ethnic status, how did the SJW fools get us to this point.

I'm actually embarrassed by the level of utter hatred you are displaying, only in Australia have I heard other humans beings being described in the terms you use. Everything you have written about Travellers I heard White Australians say about Native Australians.

I am embarrassed to share a nationality with you.

I'm actually embarrassed by the level of utter hatred you are displaying, only in Australia have I heard other humans beings being described in the terms you use. Everything you have written about Travellers I heard White Australians say about Native Australians.

If you review history, you will find the same language used about settled Irish too.
    It is also the language you will hear unleashed by irresponsible public reps, just before pogroms and massacres.
    You have to remove people's humanity first before you can destroy them, as somebody said of Rwanda.
    Scary reading some of the stuff written here, while recognising that there are problems with the traveller community.

Seems to be a modern phenomenon, I know so many parents who both work, (who could easily live on one of the wages if they dropped out of the big house, two cars, two holidays thing) who never see their children really.
    I wonder what is the point of having children at all in those circumstances. Somebody else is doing all the critical rearing.

Both parents probably need to work to pay the taxes which keep the wont work in their entitlement culture.

• Advertisement

If you review history, you will find the same language used about settled Irish too.
    It is also the language you will hear unleashed by irresponsible public reps, just before pogroms and massacres.
    You have to remove people's humanity first before you can destroy them, as somebody said of Rwanda.
    Scary reading some of the stuff written here, while recognising that there are problems with the traveller community.

Ha ha what a rant and stretch from what Casey actually said.
    Were you ever into the long jump sport Francie?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,826 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Both parents probably need to work to pay the taxes which keep the wont work in their entitlement culture.

again, what part have 'the entitled' played in causing a rapid rise in asset price inflation and low wage inflation?

Thankfully this despicable person will not be the next president of our country. I certainly do not want to see a racist bigoted individual in the Aras.

You won't be the first person to make racism or bigotry claims within this thread, I don't believe anyone successfully pointed out what exactly Casey said that was racist or bigoted?

Over to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Is that person Irish? I'd doubt it.

3 days counting and their racist posts remain...yes they were reported.
    I personally think the travellers are all of sub normal intellect.

… The only way for these people to enjoy the nice things in life is to steal from other people and this is why they pick on the vulnerable elderly…

The problem with the travellers is the inbreeding and the enormous families, it would be possible to cater to their nonsense if you could see an end to it at some stage…

The travellers cant see beyond the next social welfare payment… if young travellers go to college then they wont be having babies at seventeen so the chance to bleed the taxpayer is postponed. Travellers cant comphrehend (sic) getting up in the morning and working for forty years, they have no shame or no self respect so they would prefer to live off other people.
    You can see the inbreeding in their features, I am sorry if it offends but its true.

They dont even have to open their mouths, you can spot them a mile off even in a crowded shopping centre…

• Registered Users Posts: 31,876 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Quoting this again for the lols :D
    Errr in a word....fail.
    That is just not funny or clever in anyway.

What is funny are those ads Casey has put out....they are abysmal lol

No Tayto, a quick look would tell you that the 'above their means' lifestyle is the problem. It has to be sustained.
    I understand this dilemma, we choose to have one parent at home in this house. On the simple basis of what is the point of having children in the first place.

Ha ha what a rant and stretch from what Casey actually said.
    Were you ever into the long jump sport Francie?

I was responding to this, the type of bile Casey irresponsibly unleashed.
    Yes, I would anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I have posted the example in another thread, of two hard-working public servants, a garda and a nurse, both working for the last five years, who take home after tax and rent, less money than Margaret Cash.

The dream of a "forever house" or even being able to start a family is something that they will have to work very hard for years to come to achieve. Unlike Margaret Cash.

I have no issue with non-criminal Traveller culture, I just have an issue with paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I was responding to this, the type of bile Casey irresponsibly unleashed.

For all the bile that Casey unleashed, there are even more people who are listening and saying that there is more than an element of truth to what he says.

The welfare dependency culture, the toleration of criminal elements within the Traveller community, these are issues that need public debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Yeah, the levels of hatred and bigotry displayed by some posters on this thread is disgraceful. It's sole purpose is too dehumanise a portion of the population. That is dangerous and not something I would go along with.

At the same time there are definite issue surrounding traveller lifestyle that are not been properly dealt with.
    Pavee point is not giving enough leadership to tackle these issues. Education is paramount, but unfortunately attendance at school is woeful for too many traveller children.

There is a conversation to have, but dehumanising people never helps.

I know some will disregard this as lefty liberal nonsense, but lets hear solutions rather than more stories we are all familiar with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement