Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6n 2019 Scotland Vs Ireland build up thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,180 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Worth noting that, in 5 of their last 6 games in Murrayfield, Scotland have a try on the board in the opening quarter. The longest they had to wait in those matches was until the 18th minute. Those include games against England, France and South Africa so not pushovers. They start at 100mph and if Ireland start the match the same way we did last week (or how we did 2 years ago in Murrayfield) we're going to be chasing the game from very early on and our bench is not as strong as it has been in the past in terms of impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

To the people saying losing last week should wake them up - agreed
    To the people saying they'l panic if we lose - WTF? What's our record in Murryfield like?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

leakyboots wrote: »
    Chris Farrell is most definitely a distributor when he wants to, well able to throw skip passes out to the wing. He's got great hands.

How many times have CF and TF faced each other?

I think people are forgetting how impressive CF was in his last outing for us, MOTM if I remember?

Edit: I think he's the right call for 13 behind Ringrose.

Not forgetting, just think he is more suited to 12. I hope he has a great game tomorrow. If Henshaw was fit he would be at 13 and Farrell wouldn't make the squad.

(The two Farrells have played each other twice if I'm right. First time Tom made line breaks for fun. He also scored the wining try from one of his line breaks. Second time Tom made line breaks for fun and was MOTM despite being on the losing team. He also scored a try after ripping the ball from a No. 8.)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,180 ✭✭✭✭Buer

evil_seed wrote: »
    To the people saying losing last week should wake them up - agreed
    To the people saying they'l panic if we lose - WTF? What's our record in Murryfield like?

We've lost 3 of our last 4 there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I had to laugh when I saw a picture of the Ireland bus at Haymarket on Twitter yesterday. That Scottish superfan GLove jokingly suggested he's off to find a clamp and some lad replied with "here's the other side of the bus" showing an MSPaint job of the Springboks logo on there next to #teamofus.

Incredible lack of self awareness it has to be said.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,056 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

razorblunt wrote: »
    I had to laugh when I saw a picture of the Ireland bus at Haymarket yesterday. Yer man GLove jokingly suggested he's off to find a clamp and some lad replies here "here's the other side of the bus" and an MsPaint job of the Springboks logo on there next to #teamofus.

Incredible lack of self awareness it has to be said, WP doesn't stand for Wee Pal Nel!

I don't understand any of this post???

Is it an Instagram "had to be there" type??

sydthebeat wrote: »

Is it an Instagram "had to be there" type??

I too am confused...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

It's confusing but I think a Scotland fan was having a go because we have a few South Africans, then the poster was saying that's ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

some Scots suggested the Irish team bus be sprayed with the South African logo

Poster thinks this ironic given WP is also South African and now plays for Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

bilston wrote: »
    This.

At the moment I'm of the opinion that last week could be the best thing that ever happened to us. It showed the players can never be complacent and always have to be at the top of their game, as everyone will be gunning for them.

If they have learnt that lesson then I don't expect a repeat again.

Of course if we lose again tomorrow then I will start considering hitting the panic button!

Every team has off days. It’s been a while since we had one and we were probably due it. The (short term) problem is that it’s probably cost us the Championship. Going down 0-5 at home like that most certainly leaves us too much to do and does make us completely dependent on other results.

No matter what way we cut it though, it has to be a worry that we couldn’t get ourselves pumped for a home game against one of the best teams in the world whonwere coming here to make a point, nevermind the fact that it was England. It’d probably have been easier to take if it was anyone else, but we expect the lads to be up for that one.

• Advertisement

Riskymove wrote: »

Poster thinks this ironic given WP is also South African and now plays for Scotland

WP Nel
    Cornell Du Preez
    Josh Strauss
    Allen Dell

whoever made that joke is really a bit of an idiot.

Buer wrote: »
    We've lost 3 of our last 4 there.

Exactly. So it's no need to panic when historically we've been bad over there. And that's just recent history too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

WP Nel
    Cornell Du Preez
    Josh Strauss
    Allen Dell

whoever made that joke is really a bit of an idiot.

That's the long and short of it.
    Apologies for the confusion, I had a boring conference call in one ear whilst I was posting that.

The 4 lads above plus, the Edinburgh winger and prop waiting for residency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

My gut before the England game told me that our complacency was a huge worry, that combined with a fired up England, I was scared. Unfortunately, my gut was right. This week, I have a feeling that we are going to be the team fired up and rattling into tackles. I'm worried about a few positions but I think we're going to win! Very close match though.

Had a dream that we lost 38-8. No biggie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

This is going to be a very tight game, we never have it easy in Murrayfield. Ringrose is a huge huge loss and the step down to Farrell is enormous, hopefully he rises to the occassion.

if we kick lose to Hogg we could be in trouble of conceding some easy tries but I am sure Joe has a plan for that.

We really need to strangle them up front and at the breakdown and not give them anything to live but scraps

Its going to be tight and PP have it -6 ireland which could be just about right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭BAM! uhavechlamydia

I'd ask just one thing... venjur ain't allowed to do the match thread #jinx :)

I'd ask just one thing... venjur ain't allowed to do the match thread #jinx :)

Is that an offer? Good man. You can do it so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭Dickie10

if we lose how much of a disaster would it be? would joe give marginal players game time for the last three games?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Dickie10 wrote: »
    if we lose how much of a disaster would it be? would joe give marginal players game time for the last three games?

It wouldn't be great - the RWC isn't that far off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i wonder would the media go the opposite way of dancing on there grave ala the english media with their football team? they are partly responsible for so much pressure on the players anyway bigging them up as if they are going to win a world cup. the same gutter press will probably be tearing joe down after building him up

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

i think we will lose 30-15 or something like that. i can see the scots scoring tries, they have a very decent backline. hope i'm wrong but i think we will lose.

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    i think we will lose 30-15 or something like that. i can see the scots scoring tries, they have a very decent backline. hope i'm wrong but i think we will lose.

The Scots also concede tries - 3 to Italy in 8 minutes last week.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Is that an offer? Good man. You can do it so ;)

Could you imagine the carnage!

Could you imagine the carnage!

no.

make it real !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Riskymove wrote: »

That's actually incredible given that only 7 of the Scottish starting 15 are homegrown players.

no.

make it real !

I have enough trouble at the moment with a bank thinking I'm a terrorist ffs

Zzippy wrote: »
    The Scots also concede tries - 3 to Italy in 8 minutes last week.

they had the game all wrapped up at that stage though. Never in doubt

• Administrators Posts: 53,398 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

SOB sitting out today's captains run...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭BoardAtWork

awec wrote: »
    SOB sitting out today's captains run...

That's not good news. A backrow of POM/VdF/Conan is extremely lightweight.

Advertisement