Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,034 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Seems the threat of tariffs has had the effect Trump believed it would:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1137155057667989511

Great president. Important issue and finally it seems the US has a president willing to do what it takes to solve it.

Pete. Care to tell me if Trump did not say what we saw him say?

If not, are Fox lying? Isn't that what the MSM do?

Are Fox part of the problem therefore, as you see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Great president. Important issue and finally it seems the US has a president willing to do what it takes to solve it.
    So you're annoyed that people might have been taken in by a lie so?

What are your opinion on the 10000+ lies peddled by DJT so? You'd hardly agree with him if you think the lying and agreeing with lying are -regardless if their focus - just plain wrong.
    Any chance of you answering this question?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Good stuff. Just make sure he gets his US greencard and enters legally. Don’t think they’ll allow him take part otherwise ;)

Why would he need a greencard? He is an American citizen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

RIGOLO wrote: »

Oh really? That’s terrible. Im sorry for your troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Christy42

Hardly

https://edition-m.cnn.com/2019/06/07/politics/trump-tariffs-mexico-mike-pence/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fedition.cnn.com%2F

I think North Korea shows that we shouldn't take Trump's claims of complete and total victory too seriously.

Aside from the troops Mexico will largely let them go as the key point from a US perspective was to get southern American refugees to apply for asylum in Mexico. This has not been agreed to. Not sure those troops will be pulling extra shifts to stop them either.

The hurrying up of asylum applications by the US is a positive step in treating people as people. Let's see if they follow through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,015 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

So much goes on in the Trump admin that's, at a minimum, curious and usually scary once brought to light. Now there's a "Commission on Unalienable rights. I guess making 'Murica great again meant 18th century literal declaration of independence reading great. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/06/06/this-is-why-trumps-new-commission-unalienable-rights-is-likely-upset-human-rights-community

Yinno, when women couldn't vote, blacks weren't people, etc.

Pretty damn scary. Commission on reactionary fantasy is a better name for it.

As me and my son looked at the US War Memorial Graves this week and paused to take in some of the many headstones of AMERICAN young men who died on the beaches of Normandy in June 1944 (give or take 30-40% of whom were volunteers and gave their lives in service) we both felt a bit of pride in the fact that he is an American citizen born and bred there.

So its quite the opposite for me really, as this week on the 75th anniverssary of D-Day and I thought of the many young American lives lost during that period, I didnt feel terrible, not did I feel like it was my troubles that my son is an American citizen. On the contrary I felt some pride in that fact.

Its a free country, you are free to think that a persons nationality and being AMerican is somehow a 'trouble' and that its terrible .
    But personally I reckon both their descendants and probably many of the young men buried between the shores of France all the way to the gates of Berlin are proud of the fact they were AMERICAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,683 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Many sacrificed their lives.

The nationalism on display in your post is what caused the wars in the first place.

As me and my son looked at the US War Memorial Graves this week and paused to take in some of the many headstones of AMERICAN young men who died on the beaches of Normandy in June 1944 (give or take 30-40% of whom were volunteers and gave their lives in service) we both felt a bit of pride in the fact that he is an American citizen born and bred there.

So its quite the opposite for me really, as this week on the 75th anniverssary of D-Day and I thought of the many young American lives lost during that period, I didnt feel terrible, not did I feel like it was my troubles that my son is an American citizen. On the contrary I felt some pride in that fact.

Its a free country, you are free to think that a persons nationality and being AMerican is somehow a 'trouble' and that its terrible .
    But personally I reckon both their descendants and probably many of the young men buried between the shores of France all the way to the gates of Berlin are proud of the fact they were AMERICAN.

And they should be.
    You’d have to wonder why those Vets and currently in US military service or even you, would have anything but contempt and disgust for the draft dodging Trump who’s father had a doctor get him out of serving his country as many millions of other Americans had. And paid the ultimate price. With honour.

Yet the man lied and chose the cowards way out and refused to serve.

And reading your post I had a gleaming surge of respect and pride for those servicemen and women. Then trump ruined it. And you still support him.

And they should be.
    You’d have to wonder why those Vets and currently in US military service or even you, would have anything but contempt and disgust for the draft dodging Trump who’s father had a doctor get him out of serving his country as many millions of other Americans had. And paid the ultimate price. With honour.

And reading your post I had a gleaming surge of respect and pride for those servicemen and women. Then trump ruined it. And you still support him.

I dont see any respect in your post for my sons nationality.
    In fact you have been very clear about what you think of him based on his nationality.
    In fact theres nothing but dis-respect in your post both to him and me , and all Americans including the young American men lying in the cold graves of France. .

• Advertisement

In fact you have been very clear about what you think of him based on his nationality.
    In fact theres nothing but dis-respect in your post both to him and me.

I love America. Been numerous times and have many family and friends there.
    I don’t like the toxic ideology and current flow malignant and dangerous rot that’s coming from there this past two years. Trump is a buffoon but a dangerous one. And he’s exposed a vast swathe of Americans as unthinking hate filled racists.

We should all have a problem with that and it deserves no respect, only contempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,683 ✭✭✭✭listermint

In fact theres nothing but dis-respect in your post both to him and me , and all Americans including the young American men lying in the cold graves of France. .

It's always good to have the upmost respect for what people before us laid down to give us what we have today.

Which is why the cognitive dissonance you display in here in relation to trump daily is absolutely bizarre.

You should start digesting you're own words.

Bizzzzzare.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

One person was banned yesterday for personal attacks. Any more of this and there'll be more sanctions.

Remember the charter:

Folks it was only yesterday we issued a warning about personal attacks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,418 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Whats your opinion on this part of his post that you seemed to skip over?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Any patriot who cherishes or celebrates the sacrifices and contributions of the armed forces - from any nation or period of history - should find Trumps attitudes, opinions and treatment of those past members utterly repugnant.

His attacks on the Khans and John McCain (remember, Trump thinks POWs are 'losers' for getting captured), not to mention his wealth buying his way out of serving in Vietnam mark him as a paper tiger and a coward. His basic knowledge of the military is also worryingly absent. At least Bush Jr. gave some nominal service. He did his time, albeit way, way behind enemy lines :)

I have never served, nor wish to but don't hide from this either, yet recognise the bravery and selflessness of those Irish who put themselves in harms way to protect the innocent and maintain peace (surely the truest form of military service). Neither Republican nor Democrat should find comfort or give support to a man who has gone out of his way to behave ... well, like a brat towards the military.

"Lions led by Donkeys" springs to mind here.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,473 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm just curious was that Laura ingraham video above as aired or was it just edited that way to highlight the hypocrisy of the two clips ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,473 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

pixelburp wrote: »
    Any patriot who cherishes or celebrates the sacrifices and contributions of the armed forces - from any nation or period of history - should find Trumps attitudes, opinions and treatment of those past members utterly repugnant.

His attacks on the Khans and John McCain (remember, Trump thinks POWs are 'losers' for getting captured), not to mention his wealth buying his way out of serving in Vietnam mark him as a paper tiger and a coward. His basic knowledge of the military is also worryingly absent. At least Bush Jr. gave some nominal service. He did his time, albeit way, way behind enemy lines :)

I have never served, nor wish to but don't hide from this either, yet recognise the bravery and selflessness of those Irish who put themselves in harms way to protect the innocent and maintain peace (surely the truest form of military service). Neither Republican nor Democrat should find comfort or give support to a man who has gone out of his way to behave ... well, like a brat towards the military.

"Lions led by Donkeys" springs to mind here.
    Also to underscore the Trump family's dislike of the military in Trumps pre nuptial agreement with his second wife which has recently be reported on, it states that financial support for Tiffany Trump would be stopped should she serve in the military or peace corps. I mean what more do you need to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

It's a pity Donnie couldn't show any respect to the fallen of world war 2 when he did his poisonous little interview with that hateful c*nt Ingraham in front of the graves at Normandy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Having just watched The Vietnam War documentary on Netflix you get a bit of an insight into what the likes of John McCain and other Vietnam POWs went through. John McCain's fighter was shot down by a missile over Hanoi. Hundreds of other US soldiers were captured and spent years in the most horrific conditions. For a commander-in-chief to disrespect any of them is beyond reprehensible and should disqualify him from the roll, full stop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

If you stomp around swathed from head to toe in red, white and blue, shouting about how you're American and we should respect you, you'll be laughed out the door here.
    Because just being another loud, stereotypical yank shouting empty slogans about God bless America, apple pie, from my cold dead hands, yadda yadda doesn't wash. You will receive zero respect for that and quite rightly so.
    People with an ability of critical and rational thinking don't get taken in by noise and flag-waving.
    We respect you by your words and actions and your attitude. Our reaction to your statements reflects this.
    You may draw your own conclusions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

They really are a caracature of themselves at this stage.

Trump sons skip out on bar tab in Doonbeg

The president’s sons happily posed with their pints for pics with the locals in the town of Doonbeg, which was bustling with excitement over the visit, but then they left without paying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

Trump Jr. failed to foot the bill, Kennedy is not worried.

“I don’t think we’ve to worry about getting paid for that. I don’t think they carry cash. We were told it’d be all sorted later so there’s no problem,” she said.

Well, the Trump's are known for stiffing their employees and contractors, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Having just watched The Vietnam War documentary on Netflix you get a bit of an insight into what the likes of John McCain and other Vietnam POWs went through. John McCain's fighter was shot down by a missile over Hanoi. Hundreds of other US soldiers were captured and spent years in the most horrific conditions. For a commander-in-chief to disrespect any of them is beyond reprehensible and should disqualify him from the roll, full stop.

Yeah, but he was captured.

People prefer heroes that weren't captured.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I wonder how the disastrous pull-back in the May jobs report will be spun by Trump admin officials, now that the Mexico tariff posturing is out of the way for the moment?I

Wall St Journal considers that the trade wars policies are hitting investment and employment and are precipitating a recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,015 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I wonder how the disastrous pull-back in the May jobs report will be spun by Trump admin officials, now that the Mexico tariff posturing is out of the way for the moment?I

Wall St Journal considers that the trade wars policies are hitting investment and employment and are precipitating a recession.

Among other theories is, since there is so little unemployment due to Trump's godlike policies, the economy doesn't need to create so many new jobs.

Robert Reich, among others, pointed out the obvious that there are around 125,000 new entries to the workforce each month, so, that doesn't work:
    "75,000 new jobs is really bad. You need 125,000 new jobs just to keep up with the increase in the labor force. And relative to where we have been in this recovery that starts in 2009, it's a very bad jobs report overall," Reich said."

More concerning is the drumbeat around upcoming recession as the 'hit' from the tax cut plays out (and it might not have really done all that much for the economy, but it did do a solid for wealthier taxpayers and especially corportions). Certainly the market's been all over the place, overall not doing as well as under Obama:
    "Under Obama, the S&P 500 grew by 56.4%. The Dow Jones Industrials Average was up 50.6% and the Nasdaq, 92.9%.

The numbers under Trump were 21.4% for the S&P 500, 25.2% for the Dow, and 34.2% for Nasdaq."
    --
    Trump's had the advantage that the market was steadily going up at the end of the Obama administration so he's starting with a strong market and pouring money into it via tax cuts, keeping it going up. His tomfoolery about tariffs risks it all, along with the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,418 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

everlast75 wrote: »
    Yeah, but he was captured.

People prefer heroes that weren't captured.

Go to war, an actual war, come back to me when you have experienced it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Quin_Dub wrote: »

So the father cheats at golf, and the sons skip on paying their tab. No real surprises there

Quin_Dub wrote: »

Mexico will pay for it!

Go to war, an actual war, come back to me when you have experienced it

It's a quote from Trump....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Christy42

everlast75 wrote: »
    It's a quote from Trump....

The man has obviously never seen James Bond.

The man has no love for the military but is happy to use and abuse them. Noting his "allies" in Saudi Arabia (remember when he said he would be tough on those who financed 9/11) have been upping their own arsenal with China's help.

He also sent them on a pointless routine to the border to try an engined a story before mid terms. I don't get how more in the military are not calling them out on this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement