Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

SNNUS wrote: »
    What annoys me with the walking is family groups who take over the whole path and look horrified when they see a single person approaching but will still take up the whole width of the path and still give the bad eye to the single person who is now on the road to avoid them.
    I find it healthier to nod to people, get out of their way and ignore whatever malevolent thoughts they might have towards you. Life really is too short for all that anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

What annoys me with the walking is family groups who take over the whole path and look horrified when they see a single person approaching but will still take up the whole width of the path and still give the bad eye to the single person who is now on the road to avoid them.

From being mostly a pedestrian I could write a daily blog on these people!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

petes wrote: »
    Everyone should be two metres away.
    A lot of Irish paths are nowhere near 2m in width so it means constantly stepping out on to the road or, as we did a bit yesterday, zig zagging back and forth from one side to the other.

Last week we had to walk down the middle of the road because two people were walking slowly, in parallel, on opposite sides of the road and no, they weren't out walking together. The only way to get pass as safely as possible was to saunter down the road...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

is_that_so wrote: »
    I find it healthier to nod to people, get out of their way and ignore whatever malevolent thoughts they might have towards you. Life really is too short for all that anyway!

Oh the beauty of living in the countryside.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

My bugbear is the people who drift to the outside of the footpath as if to leave you space on the inside but if you want 2 meters space you have two meters into the road.

Especially those with buggies. I know you aren't getting onto the road (for good reason) but why make things difficult

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ah, families on paths is this week's bugbear!:P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Actually that's one advantage of wearing a face mask in public in a society that currently follows the official "advice" of not to, people tend to give you a wider berth on foot paths, in shops and in queues.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Family groups and joggers have no place on the footpaths. The rules have to be tightened up on both.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

is_that_so wrote: »
    Ah, families on paths is this week's bugbear!:P

Well it’s actually families on paths complaining about people passing too closely!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

wakka12 wrote: »
    That is a worst case example
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html
    Flu kills as few as 12,000 many other years in the US

Anyway it seems people make lots of excuses for why certain countries are hit hard but clearly as more emerge as the pandemic continues it simply hits any country hard where it has had a chance to get out of control due to initial inaction

Not only is that one of the worst flu seasons to pick its also the full season. This is only 3 weeks in the US and the "flu season" runs its course alongside daily life. America and the world have shut down and this is still spreading/killing. There is NO comparison between this and the flu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Wibbs wrote: »
    Actually that's one advantage of wearing a face mask in public in a society that currently follows the official "advice" of not to, people tend to give you a wider berth on foot paths, in shops and in queues.[/QUO

Good idea, might go out in the hazmat suit for a stroll :)

To be fair, it's a warzone out there on the footpaths.

I always lived with the assumption that we drive on the left, so you walk on the left of the footpath. From what I experience every day, I'm wrong.

I'm also regularly caught in a game of chicken with people who are walking towards me, hugging the right side (for them) of the footpath. Inevitably, I always lose, and give a wide berth to the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Are health food shops open at all?

They should be, they sell food. I was in one on Monday in Cork City.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Good idea, might go out in the hazmat suit for a stroll :)
    :D but it does seem to have an effect S. I suppose it makes the risk more visible? I have had two people ask me did I have the dose because I was wearing it. For extra effect, make the occasional clearing throat *ahem*.

tumblr_nw47fm91Ml1us21qco3_500.gif

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Basil3 wrote: »
    To be fair, it's a warzone out there on the footpaths.

I always lived with the assumption that we drive on the left, so you walk on the left of the footpath. From what I experience every day, I'm wrong.

I'm also regularly caught in a game of chicken with people who are walking towards me, hugging the right side (for them) of the footpath. Inevitably, I always lose, and give a wide berth to the right.

Most people will try and accommodate passing on the footpath in normal circumstances and I myself would try and give way as long as the other person is also doing the same.

There are those that you mentioned that are not for moving so I purposely walk straight in line with them until they give way :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Interesting study on the droplet / aerolisation of Covid-19 from infected persons coughing, sneezing etc.

One example is a sneeze can reach quite some distance and will comprise of Droplets, and Aerosolisation which can spread through convection, fans, A/c etc.:
    Peak exhalation speeds can reach up to 33 to 100 feet per second (10-30 m/s), creating a cloud that can span approximately 23 to 27 feet (7-8 m)

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2763852

This has also been backed up by discoveries in Chinese hospitals of finding the virus in A/c ducts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

YFlyer wrote: »
    There are some people online claiming that the coronavirus was here in December. It is because they got walloped by some virus and immediately saying its SARS Cov2.

I wouldn't discount their claims.

I've two relations that came back from Wuhan in November.
    They got seriously bad "flu"
    Their parents got it too.

Their aunt and cousin came out to mind them, they also got it.
    I got it, OH got it, and my own parents got it aged 69 and 74.
    They were both prescribed double doses of antibiotics and one was on steroids also.
    I was using a friends inhaler cause I couldn't breathe (yes I know I shouldn't have.)

We all had mentally bad coughs and high temps.
    I was one step away from going to A&E and actually I think I'm still traumatised by how sick I was.

I'm now fully convinced we had the Covid19 Virus.
    Our symptoms were so similar to what is being described now.

I would LOVE to have it confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Not only is that one of the worst flu seasons to pick its also the full season. This is only 3 weeks in the US and the "flu season" runs its course alongside daily life. America and the world have shut down and this is still spreading/killing. There is NO comparison between this and the flu.

There ae a shocking number of people out there that believe that this is just a flu. (op excluded).

If we did nothing, no lockdown nor social distancing, we would be in absolute chaos this morning. As bad as it is now it would be carnage.

The next stage of an argument after 'this is just another flu' normally is 'this is a biological weapon' or 'this is the trigger to tighter controls on society ie tracking on phones' or the most lunatic of all, 'this is to push everyone to get a vaccine next year'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

ellejay wrote: »

They were both prescribed double doses of antibiotics and one was on steroids also.
    I was using a friends inhaler cause I couldn't breathe (yes I know I shouldn't have.)

I was one step away from going to A&E and actually I think I'm still traumatised by how sick I was.

I think I got it after reading your post

• Registered Users Posts: 13,284 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

eddie73 wrote: »
    There ae a shocking number of people out there that believe that this is just a flu. (op excluded).

If we did nothing, no lockdown nor social distancing, we would be in absolute chaos this morning. As bad as it is now it would be carnage.

The next stage of an argument after 'this is just another flu' normally is 'this is a biological weapon' or 'this is the trigger to tighter controls on society ie tracking on phones' or the most lunatic of all, 'this is to push everyone to get a vaccine next year'

It's been a free pass in the sweet shop for the delusional.

Or that's what you want us to think.🀨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

You didn't have it. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Longing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Where are the greater restrictions mentioned? It's an article about the gardai having additional powers to enforce existing restrictions.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/roadblocks-to-stop-people-travelling-for-easter-break-39112476.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

What doctor prescribed you antibiotics for a confirmed flu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

This is amazing. Where about in the world are you now?

This must be widespread so.

You highly suspect that you got this. There might be others too who got this.

There might not be a need for this lockdown at all if people already got this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Family groups and joggers have no place on the footpaths. The rules have to be tightened up on both.

The most idiotic post I've read on here yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

My bugbear is the people who drift to the outside of the footpath as if to leave you space on the inside but if you want 2 meters space you have two meters into the road.

Especially those with buggies. I know you aren't getting onto the road (for good reason) but why make things difficult

You've little to be concerning yourself about.

I only see existing restrictions there?

Of course you do. So widescale roadblocks isn't a new restriction? We're not talking about checkpoints. Actual roadblocks not allowing people to access certain areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,284 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

ZX7R wrote: »
    The most idiotic post I've read on here yet!

I do not understand, a chicken would cross the road to find food rather than out of any curiosity as to what lay there, which is beyond it's less evolved mind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement