Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,059 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

nullzero wrote: »
    I think you're in a bit of a fantasy land. Casey wasn't exactly setting the world alight last night with his oration but he wasn't indulging in hate speech.

No, he has been careful not to stray into it since. Someone may have had a word with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,406 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

The whole point of racism is that a person is of a different race. You can't have racism against a minority group that is not of a different race.

I mean how ****ing braindead do you have to be to come up with that? You couldn't make this **** up.

Xenophobia is the correct term but it's a tricky one to get out when you're constantly outraged by everything.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Why indeed. I'm not qualified in that subject, but I would imagine that prejudice against any race or ethnicity grows around the spreading of mis-information and generalisation of issues surrounding them.

Take the 'travellers are basically people who camp on other people's land' one, that is not based on any facts at all as census material shows us that over 70% are in permanent housing. The myth persists because it is spread by people like Casey to an audience that clearly cannot think for themselves or access the actual factual data themselves.

Haha good one. It exists because of people’s personal experience. At least that’s where mine was born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Show me where I called him a 'racist' then. (cue: more rants about me being tiresome and a huffy exit no doubt)

I do think those who indulge in hate speech should go to prison. That is my opinion too.

You are just giving an 'opinion' even though you seem to be carried away on delusions of it being some sort of creed or truth.

Do you include John Connors and Ms Cash in that.

Both have expressed hate towards those of us who dont hitch up our waggons and follow the stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,406 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

No, he has been careful not to stray into it since. Someone may have had a word with him.

Someone? Reverse vampires perhaps?

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Why indeed. I'm not qualified in that subject, but I would imagine that prejudice against any race or ethnicity grows around the spreading of mis-information and generalisation of issues surrounding them.

Take the 'travellers are basically people who camp on other people's land' one, that is not based on any facts at all as census material shows us that over 70% are in permanent housing. The myth persists because it is spread by people like Casey to an audience that clearly cannot think for themselves or access the actual factual data themselves.

It may well be they camp mostly in govt, council or their own property mostly now, but that's not the case "ethnically".
    They camped along roadsides and in or on other people's property.
    How many travellers, at a guess just, camp or reside in or on their own property?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

In your opinion it is. Would it not be a fact that his comments resonated with over 340k people in Ireland? Are you denying that Travellers are involved in crime? Their population to prison population ratio would indicate they are more likely to commit crime. Hate Speech is illegal, and rightly so, but he's not telling people what to believe, he made a comment which in itself is not racist. If he was telling everything that this is what they should believe, yes, that's hate speech, but he answered a question honestly with his own opinion, one which a lot of people agree with.

And I don't agree with comments like them not having options due to x, y or z. They don't have options because they don't want them. In my experience that is, again both professional and personal.

No doubt there are some fine Travellers out there who integrate with society and are trying to better themselves, but we won't see the effects of that for years to come. But you have to admit there is still a large volume of Travellers who don't want to integrate because it's more lucrative to be a criminal.

Casey may not be the spokesperson we need to get the views of the working class across, but he's the only one with balls to make these comments which do reflect the views of quite a lot of people in Ireland. And he's right. Pulling up on the side of the road or camping on peoples property is just that, and it's illegal, but it's allowed because of this protected status. You or I wouldn't get away with it.

And on the topic of sweeping generalisations, wouldn't calling everyone who voted for Casey bigoted or racist be the same? Maybe people don't agree with everything he's said and instead voted for him because everyone else didn't have anything to agree with?

parking up on the side of the road or on someone's land is not allowed. it's illegal. ethnic status or supposed "protected" status doesn't change that.
    There is no way you wrote this with a straight face.

i absolutely did.
    SF/IRA dual membership.

held by a small few members. therefore irrelevant really.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,833 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The Act disagrees with you.

He cannot hide behind 'it is just my opinion'.

The act gives the grounds, because it's hate speech it's not black and white. It has to be proven. His comments alone are not enough to prove hate speech. But I'm sure you know that with your Bachelors of Arts in Policing now, don't you?
    parking up on the side of the road or on someone's land is not allowed. it's illegal. ethnic status or supposed "protected" status doesn't change that.

But it does. If you had a caravan and parked in on the side of the road or on someone else's property, the Gardai would come along and demand you move there and then. If you didn't, caravan would be seized.

With travellers, that doesn't happen. A statement of complaint from the private owner or an order from the local council is required to move them. How is that not different?

MFPM wrote: »
    At least you don't aim your bigotry just at Travellers....Interesting findings to contradict your nonsense here....

% of people who would be willing to have Muslims or Jews in your family..

Netherlands right at the top of the Tree - 88% Muslims - 96% Jews
    Germany - 55%- 69%
    Sweden - 81% - 92%

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/stark-east-west-european-differences-on-attitudes-religion-and-identity-1.3680854

More politically correct nonsense as in people afraid to say what they really think.

I note that Hungary hasnt had any terrorist attacks committed by drug crazed unemployed layabout Muslims.

Funny that, I might go on holidays there next year.

I dont really feel safe travelling in Europe anymore, the sight of armed policemen on high alert in Paris and germany has made short breaks very stressful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

i absolutely did.

Sorry don't believe you, noone could make the claims you did with a straight face.

held by a small few members. therefore irrelevant really.

See that's the thing I said SF could give Tubs advice on how to set an ambush considering they have members with such experience. Thanks for confirming. Tripped yourself up there dude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭MFPM

tretorn wrote: »
    More politically correct nonsense as in people afraid to say what they really think.

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I set up a company and then gave it to my wife. Peter Casey. Sounds as if he is a bit more equal than most of us.

You are also free to setup a company and give it to your wife.

It’s not that unusual.

Did you have a point to make about it ?

Edward M wrote: »
    It may well be they camp mostly in govt, council or their own property mostly now, but that's not the case "ethnically".
    They camped along roadsides and in or on other people's property.
    How many travellers, at a guess just, camp or reside in or on their own property?
    I don't know the figure but it clearly is not 'basically' them all. From the census:
    Nature of occupancy
    Irish Traveller households had a lower home ownership rate than the general population with 1 in 5 (20.0%) households owning their home compared to over two-thirds (67.6%) for the general population. The number of Irish Traveller households who owned their home outright increased by 22.8 per cent to 1,133 in 2016.

Of the 6,016 Irish Traveller households who were renting their home, the majority (65.5%) were renting from a local authority, an increase from 3,317 to 3,938 households. There were 1,835 Irish Traveller households renting from a private landlord in 2016, a decrease from 2,257 in 2011.

I note that Hungary hasnt had any terrorist attacks committed by drug crazed unemployed layabout Muslims.

Funny that, I might go on holidays there next year.

I dont really feel safe travelling in Europe anymore, the sight of armed policemen on high alert in Paris and germany has made short breaks very stressful.

My, my there's alot going on in that sentence...tell us more about these alleged 'drug crazed unemployed layabout Muslims'?
    I dont really feel safe travelling in Europe anymore,

Far be it from me to tell you how you should feel, but might I suggest you grow up...have you any idea just how rare attacks are?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just to mention, there are Travellers camping on other people's land out by Dublin Airport.

DAA needs that land to build a third runway for the good of everyone and our economy right?

But now, those who have encamped there for years are demanding nearly a million squids to move now.

The owners of the land are either thick or afraid. How could they not know the rules about squatting. 12 years I think rent free, and you are good to go.

We will pay for this anyway, for the good of our country, the Squatting Travellers will just laugh at our naeivety, and pocket the cash anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

A statement of complaint from the private owner or an order from the local council is required to move them.

A large wedge of cash will also work wonders..

Do you include John Connors and Ms Cash in that.

Both have expressed hate towards those of us who dont hitch up our waggons and follow the stars.

Have they or are you making that up?

The one thing Casey needs to push is for all scrap metal recyclers to stop paying cash for scrap metal brought in to them.it’s a joke that Johnny no job is able to drive in with a trailer of scrap weigh in and weigh out and get paid in cash on the spot.
    All they do is ask your name no id no bank account no tax.
    If it was paid into an account at least there would be a trail.
    It might also put a stop to Johnny no job scouring the countryside like a feral vulture gathering his stash.
    And after 5 or 6 days of this “work” it’s off to the post office for their entitlements.
    A fcukin jokeshop if there was ever one

Have the authorities dealt with the selling gold for cash lark.

I think you now have to provide iD when selling gold for cash.

Surely they could do something similar with the scrap metal.

Whats with the taking of copper from the electricity pylons. Thousands of euros worth of damage has been done and the pylons left in a very dangerous condition. What do the suspects do with the copper.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,708 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This thread has descended in to the who's who of grievances.

Travellers, boooo travellers
    Muslims , boooo hssss Muslims.
    Social welfare recipients, boo layout abouts.
    Sinnfein , ha look at the shinners they must be going mad.
    FG FF , left liberals
    Leo, look at him being all pc. Boo pc.

If none of this as actually rings bells as being far right . Then i actually don't know what is wrong with posters.

Everyone is a target here . And there's a real core of posters that are aiming their hatred at anyone they don't like.

The thead is utter lunacy and it has all the negative bile that you've had in after hours over the years.

Bile, negativity , unbridled anger , hatred.

Actually it's pretty disgusting and depressing in equal measure. Frankly I don't actually get how people have any happiness in their lives if this is the negative crap they subscribe to.

Have they or are you making that up?

Connors went on the LLS and described the Guards as scum. Tubs didn't call him out. Seeing as the vast majority of Guards are from the settled community it would be fair to assume he has an issue with settled community.
    Miss Cash is amusing, not sure she has expressed hatred to the settled community usually she is screaming during an interview so hard to know. Although she did make one claim I found funny. She claims the government is robbing her, eventhough the same government is providing her with nearly 52k of taxpayers money for free. I wish the government would Rob me too.

• Advertisement

Just to mention, there are Travellers camping on other people's land out by Dublin Airport.

DAA needs that land to build a third runway for the good of everyone and our economy right?

But now, those who have encamped there for years are demanding nearly a million squids to move now.

The owners of the land are either thick or afraid. How could they not know the rules about squatting. 12 years I think rent free, and you are good to go.

We will pay for this anyway, for the good of our country, the Squatting Travellers will just laugh at our naeivety, and pocket the cash anyway.

The local settled community are a far bigger obstacle to the third runway and have battled against it for years. Have you been railing against them too as they are standing in the way of 'of everyone and our economy right' or is it just Travellers you selectively focus your ire on?

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

The Irish Times and some silly thinktank in Washinton are the only people interested in this nonsense( and you of course, PC numpty that you are.)

We saw this on the Presidential debates, who wouldnt have a problem with travellers setting up camp near them. Without even blushing the Presidential candidate bar Peter Casey said they wouldnt have an issue. Hopefully all this individuals will have a halting site installed in their locality soon.

Same with asking people would they mind their daughter marrying a Muslim, who wouldnt advise their daughter against a move like this. Who wants their daughter to have to dress up like a walking birdcage and have no rights in a Muslim country.

your link is just so nonsensical. Muslims marry Muslims and Jews marry Jews, thats the way the world works.

Connors went on the LLS and described the Guards as scum. Tubs didn't call him out. Seeing as the vast majority of Guards are from the settled community it would be fair to assume he has an issue with settled community.
    Miss Cash is amusing, not sure she has expressed hatred to the settled community usually she is screaming during an interview so hard to know. Although she did make one claim I found funny. She claims the government is robbing her, eventhough the same government is providing her with nearly 52k of taxpayers money for free. I wish the government would Rob me too.

Nothing stopping you have 7 kids shaking up in a council house and going on day time sprees of theft .

Since it sounds so appealing.

Wish . I wish.i wish

• Registered Users Posts: 13,833 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Actually, they're looking for up to €800,000.

:mad:
    listermint wrote: »
    Actually it's pretty disgusting and depressing in equal measure. Frankly I don't actually get how people have any happiness in their lives if this is the negative crap they subscribe to.

Oh get over yourself. Lots of us are happy with our lives, but we're sick of paying for the lazy life-dolers, the travellers who take without giving, the criminals who get to walk scott free. We're sick of paying for everything and then getting nothing when we need it. But, at the same time, you're still in here replying to everyone. Is this where you get your happiness?

This thread has descended in to the who's who of grievances.

Travellers, boooo travellers
    Muslims , boooo hssss Muslims.
    Social welfare recipients, boo layout abouts.
    Sinnfein , ha look at the shinners they must be going mad.
    FG FF , left liberals
    Leo, look at him being all pc. Boo pc.

If none of this as actually rings bells as being far right . Then i actually don't know what is wrong with posters.

Everyone is a target here . And there's a real core of posters that are aiming their hatred at anyone they don't like.

The thead is utter lunacy and it has all the negative bile that you've had in after hours over the years.

Bile, negativity , unbridled anger , hatred.

Are you forced to be here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

I don't know the figure but it clearly is not 'basically' them all. From the census:

It doesn't really matter though, as long as a percentage of or any reside or use land that they aren't entitled to his statement is valid.
    I know of a few places, outside Ballinasloe and around Galway that there are illegal camps, Spanish Eyes just mentioned around Dublin Airport, I'm sure there are other places.
    Casey statement is valid, you'll have a hell of a job proving otherwise.

The Irish Times and some silly thinktank in Washinton are the only people interested in this nonsense( and you of course, PC numpty that you are.)

We saw this on the Presidential debates, who wouldnt have a problem with travellers setting up camp near them. Without even blushing the Presidential candidate bar Peter Casey said they wouldnt have an issue. Hopefully all this individuals will have a halting site installed in their locality soon.

Same with asking people would they mind their daughter marrying a Muslim, who wouldnt advise their daughter against a move like this. Who wants their daughter to have to dress up like a walking birdcage and have no rights in a Muslim country.

your link is just so nonsensical. Muslims marry Muslims and Jews marry Jews, thats the way the world works.

Do you know and Muslims or Jews.?

Do you actually know any of the people you are reserving your special kind of verbal bile for ?

Do you live in abstract negativity all the time or just reserve this stuff for people on boards

The act gives the grounds, because it's hate speech it's not black and white. It has to be proven. His comments alone are not enough to prove hate speech. But I'm sure you know that with your Bachelors of Arts in Policing now, don't you?
    I never said anything different. In respect of a complaint taken by the Gardai, of course it has to be 'proven'

But it does. If you had a caravan and parked in on the side of the road or on someone else's property, the Gardai would come along and demand you move there and then. If you didn't, caravan would be seized.

With travellers, that doesn't happen. A statement of complaint from the private owner or an order from the local council is required to move them. How is that not different?

Can you link to the legislation covering this please?

The travellers are supposed to go to Coolquay, The Ward but the locals are up in arms, there is terrible upset in the community about being landed with a lot of travellers. There isnt enough of the locals to put up a strong protest so the travellers will probably end up there.

• Advertisement

Nothing stopping you have 7 kids shaking up in a council house and going on day time sprees of theft .
    Prefer to be law abiding.
    Since it sounds so appealing.

Wish . I wish.i wish

Nah I just found her definition of robbery very funny. Normally if you are being robbed it's a loss you suffer not a gain of 52k.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement